•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cherry Springs Star Party 2018

• Please log in to reply
288 replies to this topic

#176 Larry Mc

Larry Mc

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Pittsburgh, PA.

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:59 AM

Last night was a great night! Several of our group stayed up thru dawn. The light breeze kept the dew away for most of the night. We also caught that auroral arc last night, around 1:30ish. (Was it steve?)

And while we were all there for the deep-sky, Mars is coming!!

#177 leetje

leetje

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:04 AM

Anyone need a registration for the 2018 Cherry Springs Star party? I have an extra one. If interested please send me a PM. John

#178 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:29 AM

That was one of the strangest auroral displays that I’ve ever witnessed. It was just 5 or more degrees in width and extended to the zenith.

The seeing wasn’t the greatest and the transparency degraded somewhat as the night went on but overall it was a good night.

There’s not a cloud in the sky at the moment but that’s going to change.

Dave Mitsky

• George N likes this

#179 Pilot87178d

Pilot87178d

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Central Maryland, USA

Posted 12 June 2018 - 10:09 AM

Before I attend any start party, I always put together a "target list" of available objects to photograph in 1 hour increments - distinguishing between Galaxy (GX) or Planetary Nebula (NB).  I find this allows me to "game plan" the evening depending on the time of night and the scope/camera combos I'm shooting with, etc.

Using the Tonight's Sky website, along with the CSSP GPS coordinates and Thursday evening as the date, I aggregated all targets which are present at least 20 degrees above the horizon of all magnitudes.  Each section is sorted by apparent magnitude in ascending order, along with accompanying NGC/Messier catalog numbers, approximate size of the object, Constellation, and common name (roughly half of the targets on the list have names from the website).

If the object is present within the 1 hour increment at the top, a "1" will appear for that object for that time window.  Anyway, I tend to pass hard copies out to those people adjacent to me who'd like one, but in this case I figured I'd just post it here for those who want it.  Hopefully someone besides me finds this useful!!!!!

We're only a few days away!!!  Clear skies....

Great summary...and a terrific contribution to the the CN crowd.  Thanks for checking an important box on MY list for this weekend.....as an old boss of mine liked to say, "Always easier to add or edit than create!"

M

• reddog1972 likes this

#180 MikeMiller

MikeMiller

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Posted 12 June 2018 - 11:15 AM

Last night's aurora. At it's peak it was about twice this size.

7nKKual.jpg

It needs some work when I get home to a real computer.

Edited by MikeMiller, 12 June 2018 - 11:54 AM.

• Dave Mitsky, Deep13, George N and 9 others like this

#181 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators

Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:22 PM

It may well have been “Steve”.

Dave Mitsky

• George N and MikeMiller like this

#182 Phillip Creed

Phillip Creed

Idiot Seeking Village

• Loc: Canal Fulton, OH

Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:24 PM

I can't attend the star party (didn't register), but I'm desperate for some time under dark skies.  Northern PA might work for me on either Thursday or Friday night.

Do they allow those who aren't attending the star party to observe on the other (non-astronomy field / northeast) side of the road when the star party's taking place?  Wasn't planning on camping overnight; I'd have to leave late at night for a nearby motel if the option of using that portion of the park was available.

Clear Skies,

Phil

• George N likes this

#183 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 12 June 2018 - 02:24 PM

I can't attend the star party (didn't register), but I'm desperate for some time under dark skies.  Northern PA might work for me on either Thursday or Friday night.

Do they allow those who aren't attending the star party to observe on the other (non-astronomy field / northeast) side of the road when the star party's taking place?  Wasn't planning on camping overnight; I'd have to leave late at night for a nearby motel if the option of using that portion of the park was available.

Clear Skies,

Phil

Yes, you can set up north of the road - for free! You can't stay there all night.

On Saturday evening, if you are there, you can walk over on the observing field with the public - up until 11 PM I believe.

There's a guy a few messages early who wants to see a registration that he can't use.

#184 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 12 June 2018 - 02:26 PM

Dave Mitsky

About 10 years ago I saw something similar from home.

I was out with my 20-inch Dob last night (checking performance) - but I think I came in just a short time before this display - so I'm not sure if it was visable from NY's Southern Tier.

#185 kfrederick

kfrederick

Soyuz

Posted 12 June 2018 - 03:23 PM

Dave Mitsky

??

#186 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 12 June 2018 - 03:45 PM

??

A newly identified type of aurora that the discoverers named "Steve"

https://en.wikipedia...ric_phenomenon)

• kfrederick and MikeMiller like this

#187 Svenry

Svenry

Sputnik

• Loc: Eastern Pennsylvania

Posted 12 June 2018 - 07:37 PM

Steve seems like a great reward for those of you who arrived early. I hope he shows up again!

I was planning to come up tomorrow (Wed), but at this point it seems I'd be better off waiting until Thursday. I'll probably decide in the morning. 

• MikeMiller likes this

#188 Deep13

Deep13

Skylab

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 12 June 2018 - 07:41 PM

Well, looks like a couple of at least okay hours tomorrow night. Then some early cloudys Thursday night, followed by at least okay skies. Don't have the hourly for Friday, by AccuWeather for Coudersport just says partly cloudy. So I'll come for tomorrow and Thursday, and see how Fri. looks on Thurs. afternoon.

#189 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:08 PM

Just saw a notice on FaceBook that the Public Program attendees will NOT be allowed on the Astronomy Field this year! Supposed reason: It is too unsafe to have large groups crossing Rt-44 in the dark!

#190 Svenry

Svenry

Sputnik

Posted 12 June 2018 - 10:32 PM

Well, looks like a couple of at least okay hours tomorrow night. Then some early cloudys Thursday night, followed by at least okay skies. Don't have the hourly for Friday, by AccuWeather for Coudersport just says partly cloudy. So I'll come for tomorrow and Thursday, and see how Fri. looks on Thurs. afternoon.

I'm mostly worried about rain during the day tomorrow. I'd want to wait for a break to set up my tent. If it rains until sunset I'd be doing that in the dark, which doesn't sound great. We shall see [if I can get packed in time]. 

Just saw a notice on FaceBook that the Public Program attendees will NOT be allowed on the Astronomy Field this year! Supposed reason: It is too unsafe to have large groups crossing Rt-44 in the dark!

Interesting. How many years have they been allowed on the field? The public night at the Black Forest Start Party last year was a lot of fun for me (my first large-scale outreach experience), but I could see it being a nuisance for others with more intricate and expensive setups.

#191 MSJK1171

MSJK1171

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Gettysburg, PA

Posted 12 June 2018 - 10:49 PM

This is the weather forecast from Underground Weather right from the astronomy field. Looks like Wednesday is a wash out until about 8:00p.m. then cloudy a bit until 2:00a.m. then it clears out. So you might get 2 to 3hrs of clear skies before sun rise.

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot (1).png

#192 reddog1972

reddog1972

Ranger 4

• Loc: Northern NJ

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:58 AM

Great summary...and a terrific contribution to the the CN crowd.  Thanks for checking an important box on MY list for this weekend.....as an old boss of mine liked to say, "Always easier to add or edit than create!"

M

My pleasure... glad you'll be making use of it! 

#193 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:13 AM

T-Shirts have arrived, modeled by our own Doug Grove

IMAG0082.jpg

• George N, reddog1972 and MSJK1171 like this

#194 Stars4jon

Stars4jon

Vendor (TeleVue)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Orange Co., NY

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:47 AM

At the Cherry Springs Star Party (CSSP) this weekend in Coudersport, PA, Tele Vue will be showing the new Bandmate Type 2 filters, the popular TVNC night vision setup, most of the Mars Madness eyepieces will be available for loan, some telescopes and mounts, and a special treat: Alvaro Martinez, founder of AstronSCIENTIFIC has flown over from Barcelona, Spain and will be demonstrating the first Rotarion automated turret with built-in Tele Vue Everbrite diagonal for use with refractors!

Read Al Nagler's blog post “Cherry Springs Star Party This Weekend!

And I will be performing external cleanings of your favorite Tele Vue Eyepieces.

Edited by Stars4jon, 13 June 2018 - 11:25 AM.

• Dave Mitsky, kfrederick, Lilypad and 1 other like this

#195 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators

Posted 13 June 2018 - 02:38 PM

It was mostly cloudy, thick heavy clouds, last night before I turned in.  There was a rather brief sucker hole where perhaps a third of the sky cleared.

The following are some of the celestial objects that I observed on Monday night:

Using my 12x50 and 15x70 binoculars, I viewed the Rinnan's Run asterism in Sextans, Collinder 399 (the Coathanger), LDN 1773 (the Pipe Nebula), Melotte 111 (the Coma Berenices Star Cluster), NGC 7000 (the North America Nebula) and IC 5070 (the Pelican Nebula), and the False Comet in Scorpius, which includes NGC 6231 (the Northern Jewel Box Cluster).  I also looked at a great many dark nebulae in the summer Milky Way.

Some of the things that I observed with my 101mm f/5.4 Tele Vue refractor and 10" f/4.7 Sky-Watcher Collapsible Dob included Venus, Jupiter, Saturn, Mars, Alcor and Mizar, Algieba, Cor Caroli, Gamma Andromedae, 15 Aquilae, V Aquilae, B86, the Double Cluster, IC 4665, LDN 1773, Mel 111, M3, M4, M6, M7, M8, M11, M15, M16, M17, M18, M22, M23, M24, M27, M29, M31, M32, M39, M81, M82, M110, NGC 7000, NGC 7789, and Stock 2.

Through a fellow ASH member's 24" f/3.3 Starmaster I saw M51 and its companion NGC 5195, a fine galaxy group (which included NGC 3413, NGC 3420, and NGC 3430, and IC 2604) in Leo Minor, UGC 8690 (a thin edge-on spiral galaxy) in Canes Venatici and Arp 294 in Ursa Major using a night vision device, and Abell 57, a very faint planetary nebula with an UltraBlock filter.  We also looked at M27 and M57 with the night vision device.

I also saw M51 and NGC 5195, M101, and NGC 6543 through another ASH member's 20" f/5 Obsession.

Dave Mitsky

• Svenry and MSJK1171 like this

#196 seanmcclain

seanmcclain

Lift Off

Posted 13 June 2018 - 04:34 PM

DIY Red Flashlight - originally built for family visit to Cherry Springs in 2017!

I'm posting this in two forums as it seemed to make sense.  If anyone knows how to cross-post please let me know.

I created these things for my family so they would have red flashlights to use at Cherry Springs Star Party last year.  Since then they have come in pretty handy for keeping in my binocular bag along with my green laser.  If you're interested check out the instructable here: https://www.instruct...p-Introduction/.

#197 MSJK1171

MSJK1171

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Gettysburg, PA

Posted 13 June 2018 - 04:39 PM

Welp all packed up and will be CSSP bound first thing in the morning, can't wait to get there. Everyone be safe that's up there already there's s severe thunderstorm watch until 11pm. See you in the morning. Clear skies guys.😁

#198 Deep13

Deep13

Skylab

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:47 PM

rained earlier, but since I'm here, all set up, and under a @#$& clear sky, I guess I'll hang around.

#199 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:25 PM

rained earlier, but since I'm here, all set up, and under a @#$& clear sky, I guess I'll hang around.

Absolutely awsume tonight, now that the wind has died down a little.

#200 Svenry

Svenry

Sputnik

Posted 14 June 2018 - 01:44 AM

Really kicking myself for not coming up today. If Steve shows up tonight I'll be depressed for the entire summer! 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics