•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron 8SE Memory Power

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Dynan

Dynan

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: NOLA

Posted 12 March 2018 - 11:19 AM

Simple (maybe dumb) question from a simple (maybe dumb) man:

Do the NexStar and StarSense hand controllers and/or mount have an internal battery for memory maintenance?

In other words, do I need to keep fresh AA batteries in the mount to maintain my Setup? If so, are NiMH good enough for memory maintenance? (I know the 1.2v batteries are not good enough for proper mount operation.)

Thanks in advance! Clear Skies!

#2 trurl

trurl

Voyager 1

• Loc: North Carolina

Posted 12 March 2018 - 11:32 AM

It remembers your location even without batteries. I don't think there is any way to keep the clock running without actually turning on the power.

• jterrasa likes this

#3 jterrasa

jterrasa

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: San Juan, Puerto Rico

Posted 12 March 2018 - 12:30 PM

I understand it has flash memory, which does not require power. The mount and HC “remember” certain basic settings (like anti backlash settings and location) without batteries. It is better to leave AA batteries out altogether and don’t count on using them.

Edited by jterrasa, 12 March 2018 - 12:32 PM.

#4 Dynan

Dynan

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: NOLA

Posted 12 March 2018 - 12:37 PM

Thanks for the input! Great folks here...

• jterrasa likes this

#5 jterrasa

jterrasa

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: San Juan, Puerto Rico

Posted 12 March 2018 - 02:31 PM

Clear skies!

#6 Wire

Wire

Mariner 2

• Loc: Dundalk, MD

Posted 16 March 2018 - 08:01 PM

It remembers location, but you have to input date and time everytime you start it up. Unless you keep it on all the time and put it in hibernate mode when your not using it, it will keep all the settings that you made.

#7 tmyers

tmyers

Vostok 1

• Loc: Kettering, OH

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:31 AM

It is better to leave AA batteries out altogether and don’t count on using them.

So just to make sure, there is no problem not having internal batteries in the mount.

#8 mikerepp

mikerepp

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Harwood Heights, Illinois, dark site Manistique, Michigan in UP

Posted 11 January 2019 - 03:53 PM

There are no internal batteries, the AA batteries are to run the mount if you don't have 12VDC external power.

#9 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Vanguard

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 13 January 2019 - 03:27 AM

My advice is never use AA batteries and always use a 12v DC external supply (Li-Po battery etc). AA batteries deplete too fast and then reduced power can mean erratic scope performance. You don't need them, leave battery box empty. Then no fear Of leakage etc. Use only an external supply. 

• Dynan likes this

#10 tmyers

tmyers

Vostok 1

• Loc: Kettering, OH

Posted 13 January 2019 - 10:54 AM

I haven't used the AA batteries since u first got my LCM114, I just wasn't sure if the needed to be there for everything to operate. They are all pulled now.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

#11 goldtr8

goldtr8

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 25 January 2019 - 04:00 AM

My advice is never use AA batteries and always use a 12v DC external supply (Li-Po battery etc). AA batteries deplete too fast and then reduced power can mean erratic scope performance. You don't need them, leave battery box empty. Then no fear Of leakage etc. Use only an external supply.

You should have batteries in when using. This allows you to unplug power for short times if needed and you don’t loose alignment.

#12 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Vanguard

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 25 January 2019 - 05:16 AM

You should have batteries in when using. This allows you to unplug power for short times if needed and you don’t loose alignment.

That is a very good strategy Don if (say) you are planning sessions longer than the capacity of your external battery as it then means you can switch batteries without a fresh alignment, which might be desirable, especially during long exposure AP. That is eminently sensible, provided that they are removed at the end of the session (see next paragraph).  But during the last three years of living in the UK, I have never enjoyed an observing session longer than the four hour capacity of my 22Ah Tracer due to the intervention of clouds, and if I did run out of juice I would simply change battery and realign, but then my adventures with camera involve merely short stacks and short integration times. Hence, I would leave the AA batteries out.

As somebody that has unfortunately suffered from 'old' AA battery leakage in a now rarely used Nexstar SE4 scope I would recommend remove them, certainly when the scope is not in use.  But once AA batteries are installed, most people won't do that and after merely a few months of no usage during hot Summer nights of limited darkness they may wake up to the horrible mess that I had to resolve. I hence believe it best to leave them out at all times and never re-insert them as a 'back up' unless you are planning on doing very lengthy sessions or long duration AP. 

If you have a reliable external power source, they are not needed for any other purpose than to bridge a temporary disconnection, and generally don't provide enough power except for that purpose, but I suppose we have all forgotten to switch on cord wrap or trip over and unplug the power cable at least once. On that rare occasion then they might be of value. But I agree, they can be an asset, provided that you remove them at the end of each session or are confident that you will enjoy enough observing sessions to require them to be changed before they leak. I suppose it also depends where one stores the scope. Hot humidity and using cheap (probably fire damaged) AA batteries from 'Poundland' was my likely downfall!

#13 Wire

Wire

Mariner 2

• Loc: Dundalk, MD

Posted 25 January 2019 - 07:12 AM

The answer is no. I never use AA batteries to run my 8se. I use a power adapter. I just the AA batteries in as a backup just in case I accidentally pull the power cord out.

#14 Geo.

Geo.

Vendor - Nexstar Parts

• Vendors
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 26 January 2019 - 11:06 AM

In my experience if you want the convenience of using the AAs for whatever, never put the mount away with them aboard. I've sold a lot of battery holders.

The only way to maintain time date setting is with a real time clock. https://www.ebay.com...&rt=nc&LH_BIN=1

Cheap enough but then you have to have the system's firmware modified to call up the clock on boot.

#15 K4PDM

K4PDM

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: East Kentucky USA

Posted 28 January 2019 - 07:19 AM

On my 8SE it was always a pain to remove the cover and get at the batteries. I now use a Talentcell held to the mount with a bungee cord and don't have to worry about the battery cover, or leaking AA cells.

Also, one of the biggest benefits I have found when controlling the the scope with a tablet (after adding the wi-fi adapter) is the automatic time setting.

Edited by K4PDM, 28 January 2019 - 07:19 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics