•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

experience with the JMI RBs?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 salico

salico

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 13 March 2018 - 03:11 PM

Hi out there,

anyone experience with the JMI RBs? I'm interested in the JMI RB 10". How about the mirror quality, the mechanics and: is the collimation/merging as easy as advertised?

Salico

#2 theastroimager

theastroimager

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Central Indiana, USA

Posted 13 March 2018 - 03:31 PM

Salico,

I don't have any experience with what you speak of, but you should be aware that JMI is now part of Farpoint. 

An unfortunate fact that I've noticed is that whenever one company buys another (or sells out to another) there is a period where quality drops. I've experienced this with SBIG products (now owned/made by Diffraction Limited in Canada), JMI (a recent product purchased from Farpoint did not have the quality I expected from a JMI product, and having had JMI products before the buyout I know they have done better). I've read some complaints about Coronado products (now owned by Meade).

So, not saying don't buy one, just be awar that "past results may not be an indication of future performance".

Thanks,

John

#3 salico

salico

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 March 2018 - 03:34 PM

thanks, didn't know that.

#4 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 13 March 2018 - 04:10 PM

Hi out there,

anyone experience with the JMI RBs? I'm interested in the JMI RB 10". How about the mirror quality, the mechanics and: is the collimation/merging as easy as advertised?

Salico

I have the RB-16s and they are WONDERFUL! But, I had outsourced custom-matched mirrors (Fullum), testing and enhanced coatings (OWL) and also upgraded folding flats and star diagonals. Anyway, they work great, in every way. Spectacular, actually. I also added 1.05x custom barlows to make my Night Vision Eyepieces parfocal to the TV Panos. I believe the 10-inch will be nice, Tony Hallas (?) has an enthusiastic review of them on the JMI site.  Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• RB-16s Night Vision.jpg

#5 salico

salico

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 March 2018 - 06:28 AM

the RB 10 has been discontinued. End of the story for me.

Edited by salico, 15 March 2018 - 06:29 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics