•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Field Flattener for a 2.5" Focuser

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BillD17

BillD17

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Incline Village, NV

Posted 13 March 2018 - 04:24 PM

I have the Astro-Tech 130mm f/7 EDT refractor and want to use it with a full-frame sensor.  The scope has a very nice 2.5" focuser, but the Astro-Tech field flattener slides into a 2 inch tube which will at the very least cause lots of vignetting - and at the worst will chop off the corners of the image.  Does anyone know of a field flattener with a larger optical path?  

#2 fmeschia

fmeschia

Viking 1

• Loc: Mountain View, CA

Posted 13 March 2018 - 05:22 PM

TS has a 3" FF/FR. Their 2.5" unit is almost exactly the same (exactly same optical formula, just different camera spacing required) that Astro-Tech sells for the AT130EDT.

Edited by fmeschia, 13 March 2018 - 05:24 PM.

#3 BillD17

BillD17

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Incline Village, NV

Posted 13 March 2018 - 10:42 PM

Do you mean ES?  Explore Scientific?  Their 3" unit is also an 0.7 focal reducer, and I'd prefer a straight flattener.  Also, its not clear that their adapters will mate with the threads on the 2.5" focuser.

#4 fmeschia

fmeschia

Viking 1

• Loc: Mountain View, CA

Posted 13 March 2018 - 11:30 PM

Sorry – I was indeed cryptic. I mean TS, Teleskop-Service. They have this 3" FF/FR:

https://www.teleskop...-Teleskope.html

and also the Riccardi reducer/flattener, which claims to have a 42 mm image circle:

https://www.teleskop...en-und-RCs.html

#5 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Star walker

• Loc: PDX, OR.

Posted 14 March 2018 - 07:49 PM

This is one of the things it's best to sort out before buying a scope.  You might ask in one of the imaging forums and see if there is a best fit out there.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics