•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Focal reducer for Daystar Quark

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Alfredo Agustoni

Alfredo Agustoni

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Argentina

Posted 13 March 2018 - 04:39 PM

Finally, I am determined to buy a Quark chromosphere for use in a 120 mm refractor, and another ED80; I would like to have opinions and experiences in the combination of the Quark and focal reducer, 0.8 - 0.5 which has a positive effect on visual observation (I do not do solar photography), and which marks they could recommend me.
I'm passing the list of items to the importer, and I thought that this could be included if it's worth it.
Thanks since now.
Clear skies!

#2 vincentv

vincentv

Explorer 1

• Loc: Costa Rica

Posted 13 March 2018 - 05:49 PM

For visual you don't need a focal reducer. The quark has a clear aperture of ~21mm. Any eyepiece with a field stop of the same size or slightly bigger will show you all the field. Per televue's specs a 25mm plossl has a field stop of 21.2mm. 

In imaging a 21mm diagonal is considered large so it's more common to use a reducer along with a smaller chip if you want to increase the FOV.

• BinoGuy and Alfredo Agustoni like this

#3 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Soyuz

• Loc: Florida

Posted 13 March 2018 - 05:54 PM

Finally, I am determined to buy a Quark chromosphere for use in a 120 mm refractor, and another ED80; I would like to have opinions and experiences in the combination of the Quark and focal reducer, 0.8 - 0.5 which has a positive effect on visual observation (I do not do solar photography), and which marks they could recommend me.
I'm passing the list of items to the importer, and I thought that this could be included if it's worth it.
Thanks since now.
Clear skies!

I have both those scopes and the Quark and I use 0.5x focal reducers sometimes. I use them to image more often. For visual, I've yet to feel the need to use a reducer because I just use a shorter scope if I want full disc FOV. But, they do work. You can just put the 0.5x focal reducer onto the eyepiece and go from there.

I use a ST80 (400mm F5) with a Quark and 25mm 60degree FOV eyepiece and it has a full disc FOV with room for the prominences.

I use the 120mm F8.3 refractor with the Quark for high resolution details like an individual sunspot grouping, or a major prominence.

One thing to keep in mind is when using the reducer, it can be brighter, and that can lead to eye fatigue and make it harder to discern surface details.

So personally I don't use reducers for visual, only imaging. I just use shorter scopes to make up for not using a reducer for full disc.

Very best,

• BinoGuy and Alfredo Agustoni like this

#4 Alfredo Agustoni

Alfredo Agustoni

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Argentina

Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:49 PM

I am very grateful for your comments, now I have a clearer view, as my interest is purely visual, it is not necessary at all then; I am asking with the Quark a SW ED80, for larger field and less power, although I know that it will not show me the whole disk, this does not worry me, I decided for this small APO to use it to transport it without effort, and step is useful for night viewing, with excellent optics. I hope to be able to share experiences with everyone soon.
Thanks again!
Clear skies

#5 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Soyuz

• Loc: Florida

Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:20 AM

I am very grateful for your comments, now I have a clearer view, as my interest is purely visual, it is not necessary at all then; I am asking with the Quark a SW ED80, for larger field and less power, although I know that it will not show me the whole disk, this does not worry me, I decided for this small APO to use it to transport it without effort, and step is useful for night viewing, with excellent optics. I hope to be able to share experiences with everyone soon.
Thanks again!
Clear skies

Something to consider, a Meade Adventure Scope or Infinity 80 are both ST80's (400mm F5 that can stop down with a mask/lens cover), and they're cheap ($100). With a Quark you can get full disc FOV with them with a 25mm eyepiece. I mask my ST80 to 60mm (F6.6 to achieve F28 with the Quark) for full disc visuals. Close to F30, but still enough aperture to see good detail on prominences and surface structures.

I use the short 400mm ST80 for most viewing, along with my PST, for full disc. When I want to look at a specific structure, I go straight to my 120mm refractor with the Quark for that.

The ST80 (masked to 40~60mm aperture) with Quark absolutely murders the PST in every way.

25397810627_e4d4920316_c.jpg

Very best,

• doctordub likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics