•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stephen Hawking at 76 has Left Earth Today.

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#26 North of Sixty

North of Sixty

Viking 1

• Loc: Yukon

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:27 PM

“We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special.” ― Stephen Hawking

RIP. An amazing person in many ways and an inspiration to all.

• Exnihilo and Tyson M like this

#27 ChristianG

ChristianG

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, Canada

Posted 14 March 2018 - 02:41 PM

Lou Gehrig's diagnosis made what had been a rare and obscure disease, merely rare. 

What difference would it make what his claim to fame was?

No disrespect to Mr. Gehrig. He was famous, one of the first to be diagnosed with horrible disease, and the name is easy to remember. He had nothing to do with the polular name of the disease. 

I was just commenting on our society. I know some researchers who made significant contributions to magnetic resonance, for instance, and a large number of people now enjoy the benefits of MRI thanks in a very small part to their work. At the end of their carreer, they probably brought in around 200 000$ a year before tax. Contemporary baseball players earn quite a bit more, even if it is during a shorter carresr.

Intersstingly enough, in today's dollars Lou Gehrig made about the same amount as a university professor nowadays. (http://sabr.org/rese...aders-1874-2012). Cheers!

--Christian

#28 kcb

kcb

Messenger

• -----
  • Moderators
  • Loc: victoria harbour, ontario,canada

Posted 14 March 2018 - 02:58 PM

glad  to have had this genius living in my lifetime, as the breaking news broke just moments after his death last night while on the computer I got teary eyed.....wishing the best to his children and family

#29 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 14 March 2018 - 03:22 PM

And on the British astronomy site, Astronomy Now....he was born in 1924!  shocked.gif

https://astronomynow...king-1924-2018/

Me thinks there's a typo here somewhere....  wink.gif

Yes, 1942.  Obviously someone with dyslexia, which is not usually fatal.

#30 Sketcher

Sketcher

Viking 1

• Loc: A Dark Place in the Wild Wild West

Posted 14 March 2018 - 07:18 PM

From star dust to star dust.  It's amazing what such a small amount of stardust accomplished while occupying such an itty-bitty amount of space-time.

It's such an amazing universe that we all are a part of.

• Simon B likes this

#31 Freezout

Freezout

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: North Europe, Bortle 4 zone, altitude 11 meters

Posted 15 March 2018 - 03:01 AM

I learned this sad news yesterday and was the same night under the stars: I dedicated my astro-session to the memory of Stephen Hawking. I saw for the first time M36, M38, M108, the Dumbell nebula, and the Owl nebula, so that was a pretty nice session. I had been reading one of his popularization books when I was at high school.

Quite nice to keep such a sense of humor while he was stuck in this wheelchair. We should not forget also the work of all his assistants and the computer work which helped him to continue to interact with other people. I hope this equipment is made available more and more easily to people less famous than him.

Edited by Freezout, 15 March 2018 - 03:02 AM.

#32 Lukey

Lukey

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Norfolk, England, UK, 52°N

Posted 15 March 2018 - 03:59 AM

Very sad news. He was an inspiration and, despite everything, he led a full life with a lot of humor. Living as I do in the UK quite near Cambridge, I've even seen him a couple of times trundling around the university.

.......And yet the disease that afflicted him will continue to be named after a baseball player whose contribution to society was entertainment...

On a point of detail, the disease is only named after a baseball player in the US. Elsewhere it's called MND, Motor Neurone Disease. Most of us haven't even heard of Lou Gehrig!

I lost my own wife to the disease three years ago. She survived less than three years after diagnosis, aged 50. It was a very grim time. It's amazing that so little is known about it still.

Edited by Lukey, 15 March 2018 - 04:01 AM.

#33 ChristianG

ChristianG

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, Canada

Posted 15 March 2018 - 08:01 AM

Very sad news. He was an inspiration and, despite everything, he led a full life with a lot of humor. Living as I do in the UK quite near Cambridge, I've even seen him a couple of times trundling around the university.

On a point of detail, the disease is only named after a baseball player in the US. Elsewhere it's called MND, Motor Neurone Disease. Most of us haven't even heard of Lou Gehrig!

I lost my own wife to the disease three years ago. She survived less than three years after diagnosis, aged 50. It was a very grim time. It's amazing that so little is known about it still.

Ha Ha you brits are funny... I should know, my girlfriend's from Yorkshire (lovely part it is there).

Understood that the name of an american baseball player who died in 1941 may not be so familiar to you guys, since at the time you were busy with another sport altogether. We canadians know about that since we sent some of our best players to play with you. My mommy says many of them must have really liked it because they never came back! By the way I heard that the russian team plays dirty, so be careful. We can not send you too many players right now...

Joke apart, apparently, MND is generic and ALS (Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) is one type of MND. Have a quick pint for me, love that stuff!

--Christian

#34 starcanoe

starcanoe

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 March 2018 - 08:36 AM

I remember somebody once saying something to the effect of "black holes are where God fears to tread".

So, I can imagine Stephen Hawking's spirit racing towards the nearest black hole (for obvious reasons). Upon reaching the black hole he meets God.

God: Hi Stephen. I knew you would be here.

Stephen: God, you must tell me what happens inside the event horizon.

God: Honestly I don't know either.

Stephen: Well, do think my spirit will be okay if I go in?

God: I don't know that either. Sorry about that.

Stephen: Well, I guess I'm going in anyway....I can't stand it anymore !

God: Good luck !  Get back to me if you can and let me know...it's been bothering me for awhile as well...

Edited by starcanoe, 15 March 2018 - 08:37 AM.

#35 jaraxx

jaraxx

Explorer 1

Posted 15 March 2018 - 12:47 PM

Isn’t it an amazing thing that some human beings can make such wondrous inquiries, then journey such incredible distances using only eyes and intellect? And upon discovering extraordinary answers that lead to even more extraordinary questions, they enrich our world by informing us of their travels.

Dr. Hawking helped me construct a fantastic world that fills me with awe and I am profoundly grateful. I only wish I had the opportunity to thank him for his assistance.

• starcanoe likes this

#36 CCD-Freak

CCD-Freak

Apollo

• Loc: Whitesboro,Texas

Posted 15 March 2018 - 09:10 PM

HIs great mind is now free to roam the cosmos.  

John

CCD-Freak

WD5IKX

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics