•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Need some help. Newbie about to do some cleaning

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jond105

Jond105

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Detroit

Posted 14 March 2018 - 12:26 AM

After reading and feeling what you have come to call "synta glue" I want to definitely clean and get it off my focuser with better stuff. Just need to know if I just extend my focuser all the way out and clean it off as such or take out focuser(something I've never done) and clean it out that way. It's an Omni XLT 120.

#2 db2005

db2005

Messenger

• Loc: Urban dweller, Denmark

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:15 AM

On my Vixen A80MF (also Synta-made) most of the grease was located inside the focuser box and the lid could be removed by removing the 4 small screws on the focuser. Removing the lid will exposing the rack-and-pinion mechanism and allow you to remove most of the grease with some Q-tips. I would start with that, as removing the focuser completely from the tube may slightly affect collimation and cause the paint on the tube to chip if you are not very careful.

• Jond105 likes this

#3 ChristianG

ChristianG

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, Canada

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:33 AM

Indeed.

Leave focuser assembly casting attached to the main tube. Unscrew 4 screws holding shaft cover, throw everything in a margarine container, including shaft. Don't worry about the focuser tube, it should slide right out. Collimation will not be affected. The rack is held by two small screws, remove rack and put in margarine container. Degrease all these parts. Grease from the focuser body (where the shaft used to sit) comes off with Q-tips.

Reassembly is in reverse. I use Corning high vacuum grease, but other greases will be fine. Only a small amount is needed on the pinion, in the grooves where the shaft sits, and on the spring thingy where it pushes agains the shaft. Don't put grease on the focuser tube itself. One adjusment is the 4 screws holding the cover plate. Start by having them NOT completely screwed, and adjust for best action. The other adjustment are almost hidden set screws on top (two sets) that adjust the plastic bearing surfaces, look a the pictures on this page:

https://www.cloudyni...r/#entry8451741

It's hard to screw up, unless you lose parts...

If I remember properly, Jon Isaacs once wrote a tutorial for this kind of focuser, maybe he'll pipe in this conversation...

--Christian

Edited by ChristianG, 14 March 2018 - 01:38 AM.

• db2005 and Jond105 like this

#4 Jond105

Jond105

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Detroit

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:37 AM

Thank you guys. I was so worried. I found one video of a guy cleaning a sky watcher and he removed the assembly from the tube and talked about how he had to re collimate it and I wanted no part of that. So thanks for letting me know just to take the plate off from the focuser and pull the focuser out
  • db2005 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics