•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Waiting for summer and the obsy build

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 aneeg

aneeg

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Nesodden, Norway

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:00 AM

I have finished the conrete pier a few yards to the left of the scopes. Will make a roll off shed for the mount and scopes and intend to controll them from my little cabin. But first the four feet of snow has to go away. Since Jan 1th only four nights with clear skies, but also below minus 20C.

And two of the nights I spend in hospital.

Arne

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

• okiestarman56 and ShaulaB like this

#2 happylimpet

happylimpet

Gemini

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:05 AM

You still have snow?

• gundark likes this

#3 aneeg

aneeg

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:36 AM

98cm. Today was the first day with temp above 0C. I made the scopes ready for tonights hunt for the Eskimo nebula.

I have the 80 TS Apo alongside the ETX to try both low and high power.

And now the clouds are about to roll in.....

Arne

• happylimpet likes this

#4 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:54 AM

Very cool! I just got in from shoveling/blowing snow (2-hours) here in Springwater, NY (up in the rural hills of Upstate NY). Attached picture. The ~observing shed~ contains my JMI RB-16 binos, nice and snug... about 150 feet from the house. And WAY back, up the hill and behind the trees (in a nice big field 1000 feet from the house) is my 24-foot dome. 36-inch scope to be installed in there next month!  Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• SNOW 20180314 70-95.jpg

• aneeg likes this

#5 Hubbs

Hubbs

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:54 AM

In the same position you are in - planning things out, and waiting for the snow to go away... but we are down to maybe around 20 cm or so left here.. not quite the 98 you are dealing with, although our sky conditions seem to be similar, very few clear nights lately, and those that have been clear have been very cold.  One week away from the first day of spring though so hopefully things will improve soon.  Good luck with the build! 

#6 aneeg

aneeg

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:46 PM

The real problem is that here, at 60N, the obsrving and imaging season is gone by the end of April.

Arne

#7 happylimpet

happylimpet

Gemini

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 15 March 2018 - 05:08 AM

The real problem is that here, at 60N, the obsrving and imaging season is gone by the end of April.

Arne

So main season is maybe August to December for you?

#8 aneeg

aneeg

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 March 2018 - 05:25 AM

Yes, definitely. And most of that season is first three months of rain before three months of snow :-(

Summer is pretty good but only if you limit your observing to mag 1 or brighter stars.

Arne

Edited by aneeg, 15 March 2018 - 05:53 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics