•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Observing the 2018 Mars Opposition

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 epee

epee

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Suh-van-nuh, Jaw-juh

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:55 AM

Where in the Eastern United States is the best bet for observing the upcoming Mars opposition; greatest chance of clear skies and excellent seeing?

#2 Richard O'Neill

Richard O'Neill

Surveyor 1

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:33 AM

Southern tip of the Everglades at Flamingo campground. See ya there.

• ShaulaB likes this

#3 spencerj

spencerj

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Londonderry, NH

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:45 AM

The day of the Mars opposition is not really an event.  Mars will be great for weeks before and after the opposition.  From GA, you should have an excellent chance for many great Mars observations.

• aa6ww and ShaulaB like this

#4 leveye

leveye

Aurora

• ***--
  • Loc: Central Oregon Coast

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:59 AM

I would imagine the more South the better. It's pretty low here on the Oregon Coast. A bit in the soup.

#5 epee

epee

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 14 March 2018 - 11:14 AM

The day of the Mars opposition is not really an event.  Mars will be great for weeks before and after the opposition.  From GA, you should have an excellent chance for many great Mars observations.

Georgia skies offer good, but not excellent, seeing during the month before and after opposition. Since this is likely the closest opposition for the remainder of my life, I'd like to take good advantage of it in skies offering exceptional views.

Any known places to observe near Homestead, Florida? I'd like to have an air conditioned room to sleep in.

Edited by epee, 14 March 2018 - 11:51 AM.

#6 aa6ww

aa6ww

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Sacramento, Calif.

Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:03 PM

A few weeks plus or minus the opposition isn't going to make any difference. From past experiences, Id say star looking at Mars a month or so on either side of opposition so your guaranteed a few good nights of optimum seeing conditions.

..Ralph

#7 Jeff B1

Jeff B1

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: South Central Florida

Posted 14 March 2018 - 06:04 PM

Southern tip of the Everglades at Flamingo campground. See ya there.

Take some nuclear level mosquito spray because they are professional blood suckers in Flamingo. 

#8 epee

epee

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 15 March 2018 - 07:45 AM

Think a Thermocel might help?

#9 starcanoe

starcanoe

Vanguard

• Loc: Gulf Coast, Panhandle of Florida

Posted 15 March 2018 - 09:21 PM

Take some nuclear level mosquito spray because they are professional blood suckers in Flamingo. 

There are lots of lawyers and angry ex wives down there? Who knew...

I was just an hour ago looking at the details of this Mars opposition.  Size wise....its pretty big about 1.5 months on either side. I'd been getting a little excited about this go around. But then I noticed it will be at MINUS 25 degrees declination ! Even at my very southerly location on the Gulf Coast of 30 north latitude the highest it will be 35 degrees. That is not very high. Imagine being another 10 or 15 degrees farther north latitude !

Maybe I'm being a bit of a Debby downer here. At least we can have pretty good seeing around here. Hopefully I'll at least have a Jaegers 6 inch f15 refractor up and running by then.

2020 sounds much better. Yeah, Mars will be just a bit smaller...butttt...it will be at plus 5 declination. From my location it will be up to 65 degrees high....that is sooo much better.

Looking a bit further. 2022 is still decent size and a good declination. After that things get fairly grim size and declination wise. Things don't get better till 2033 or 2035  roughly....EEEK!

I guess I better get in some good Mars view this next couple go arounds...getting old enough that 2033/2035 might be a bit iffy life wise...and if I make those definitely need to get those next few in for sure.

Edited by starcanoe, 15 March 2018 - 10:24 PM.

• Cpk133 likes this

#10 EverlastingSky

EverlastingSky

Viking 1

• Loc: Vancouver Canada

Posted 16 March 2018 - 07:52 PM

In 2016 Mars was between 19° and 20°. On multiple viewing sessions the seeing was superb and extremely memorable vistas of "utter profundity" manifested. Despite the low altitude... 9/10 seeing in "deep summer" does allow the patient persistent observer... a glimpse worth seeing. 

During this 2018 apparition Mars will be between 17° and 18° altitude up here. I will be observing every single clear night - even on nights where the Jet Stream maps show some lower edges of activity.

• Paul Morow, David Gray and Cpk133 like this

#11 starcanoe

starcanoe

Vanguard

• Loc: Gulf Coast, Panhandle of Florida

Posted 17 March 2018 - 09:16 AM

Glad to hear that you managed some good views even at 20 degrees !

#12 Special Ed

Special Ed

Cosmos

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 17 March 2018 - 09:59 AM

Where in the Eastern United States is the best bet for observing the upcoming Mars opposition; greatest chance of clear skies and excellent seeing?

Maybe you missed this discussion?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics