•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pelican 1630 Case Review

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 DonnieBe

DonnieBe

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 17 March 2018 - 09:28 PM

Here's a link to a review I did for a Pelican 1630.  I had been back and forth over Pelican vs. JMI.  I just found the Pelican stuff more of a one stop shop for all my case needs, I also enjoy the Pick N Pluck Foam too.  I got this from Amazon Warehouse Deals for $250.63 to my door.  Great way to save some money on a top notch case to protect my equipment.  Anyway, have a look if youd like, hopefully this helps another n0.0b like myself!!!

https://youtu.be/dNQQn5w0CPo

#2 DonnieBe

DonnieBe

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 18 March 2018 - 02:40 PM

NHAS Messier Marathon.JPG

NHAS Messier Marathon

NHAS Messier Marathon 2.JPG

Quick shot of the site.  Huge Thank You to the Hosts, and the entire NHAS Group!!!

Anyway, heres the case all fit up, in the phases I did it.  

1630.JPG

Layout

1630 - 1st.JPG

First cut, and so on.  I found this to be a great value to other solutions.  Donnie

• moshen, Tim C and gundark like this

#3 DonnieBe

DonnieBe

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 18 March 2018 - 02:51 PM

1630 2nd.JPG

1630 3rd.JPG

1630 4th.JPG

• Kunama, gundark and fiston like this

#4 DonnieBe

DonnieBe

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 18 March 2018 - 03:31 PM

I hope some of you enjoy seeing different things, Im not trying to fill Cloudy Nights with garbage. Just some of my personal experiences with Astronomy, from which I dont know much. The best thing about going to a gathering for your local Astronmy Society is what I got to experience first hand. Interacting with well seasoned professionals, to a first timer like me, to every member offering views from All the different viewing choices there!!!. Not one SCT, however, not for long I'll be bringing mine now. Mostly Refractors of all shapes and sizes, a Custom Newt mounted shown above, to a massive portable pier with Losmandy G11 mount to a Huge 6" Japanese Frac. (BEAUTIFUL)!!! Got to observe the sun for the first time too!!! Food was Amazing, Hosts and Group were amazing!!! So many great ways to observe, and why the prospective owner chooses. Donnie

Edited by DonnieBe, 18 March 2018 - 08:02 PM.

• Phil Cowell, Agatha and gundark like this

#5 DonnieBe

DonnieBe

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 18 March 2018 - 05:20 PM

1630 5th.JPG

All packed up, next to fit up the Dewalt Case.  Have a great rest of the weekend CN.  Donnie

#6 DonnieBe

DonnieBe

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 19 March 2018 - 07:45 PM

Finishing touches to the foam will be secured with an L200 glue for the top layer, and it’ll be perfect!!! I’ll be adding a small soft drawstring pouch for loose ends and it’ll be complete.

So next weekend, I should have some more stuff coming to fill up the Pelican 1525 Air so that’ll be completed. Life is good, and I hope you’re enjoying what I’m doing. Might even have a comparison review too!!! Donnie

Edited by DonnieBe, 19 March 2018 - 07:46 PM.

#7 Creedence

Creedence

Ranger 4

• Loc: Florida

Posted 20 March 2018 - 07:41 PM

You're an inspiration to those of us getting back into astronomy and starting out alike. We all appreciate your intensity, and I know many of us enjoy your product reviews. I for one am having a great time following your posts, and appreciate your layperson's (like myself) perspective on what is otherwise an insanely technical hobby.

Keep the updates coming
  • DonnieBe likes this

#8 moshen

moshen

Apollo

• Loc: San Francisco, CA

Posted 21 March 2018 - 12:30 PM

That's a huge case, nice job!

• DonnieBe likes this

#9 DonnieBe

DonnieBe

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 21 March 2018 - 04:45 PM

Thanks to you both!!! I guess I was just compelled to share what I found. I needed a case, and though the JMI stuff is nice, I just needed to see if Pelican was up to the task. I’ve never owned one, or ever PickdNPlukd a case for that matter. I was a little apprehensive to order Pelican, because I had to design the layout. I did what I thought I could make work best, and these cases are a tremendous value over some of the other options out there. Super happy with it, cheaper, and imho better option than a soft sided, padded case available too.

#10 DonnieBe

DonnieBe

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 24 March 2018 - 12:44 PM

Just a quick affirmation. I can tell you this case will fit the Starlight Instruments FTM-M8 freshly installed on a Meade LX90-ACF 8”!!! This scope is still portable, protected, and an absolute joy to use and move!!!

I am a little tired from work and stuff, most likely no new video this week. Getting the house ready for our second little one. At any rate, I’ll review the Feather Touch soon when I finally do the LX90 video. The Peterson EZ Focus Kit is an awesome upgrade, and I’m keeping the upgraded original!!! The final UWA just arrived from USPS!!! Things are going really great, hope you all are well!!! Donnie

#11 SloMoe

SloMoe

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Washington State

Posted 26 March 2018 - 08:32 AM

Shen I purchased my Nexstar 8i a long while back I cased it in a 1630 off of CL, $100 for the case $50 for the foam.

Couldn't work with what foam was left in the case when I bought it but found some un-used pluck foam inserts for it.

The camera bag has the control and GPS system in it, and the Orion case has the finders, the power tank also is the night light for unpacking/ or packing up, on the red setting it's perfect.

Tripod has the astrozap dew shield wrapped around the bottom leg and that helps support the finder case and control bag, tank sits at the bottom as seen,

I would put a thin foam sheet between where the scope and case meet.

This rode in my fan for a year so literally no wear and tear or shifting around., take it out of the van and into the garage, 

Attached Thumbnails

• thumbnail_IMG_20170219_082351.jpg
  • thumbnail_IMG_20170219_082237.jpg

Edited by Mike W., 26 March 2018 - 08:34 AM.

• DonnieBe likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics