•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stellarium and Windows Remote Desktop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Harris

Michael Harris

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Kentucky, USA

Posted 19 March 2018 - 06:03 PM

I am running Windows 10 on a laptop and miniPC for AP, and when I start Stellarium on the miniPC in Remote Desktop the display is tilted 45 degrees and split, making the program unusable. The split screen remains in the Remote Deskltop window after Stellarium is closed. Anybody ever have this issue before?

#2 boott

boott

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 19 March 2018 - 06:34 PM

Wow that's a good one. No help here. Gooood luck!

• Michael Harris likes this

#3 strygaldwir

strygaldwir

Lift Off

• Loc: Centreville, Virginia

Posted 19 March 2018 - 09:07 PM

Well, I use Stellarium with Windows 10 on both a laptop and desktop machine.  The laptop is an older Lenovo.  I have no issues using remote desktop.  It may be an issue with the miniPC,  I'd reinstall the video drivers.  A lot of folks use TeamViewer.  

Good luck.

• Michael Harris likes this

#4 sparkyht

sparkyht

Ranger 4

• Loc: Lil Sconnie

Posted 01 April 2018 - 02:05 PM

I did for the first time last night. I use an Intel i3 NUC for my imaging computer and connect with an ASUS x205T netbook, and Stellarium always worked trouble free for me. Then I made the mistake of updating from Stellarium 16.1 to 18.0 yesterday. When I went to use it last night, the issue you describe appeared. I uninstalled 18 and reverted to 16.1 but the problem is still there. Not sure if Winblows updated something on the graphics card while the computer was online yesterday, or if something from 18.0 was installed and left behind in the registry or what, but either way it's now borked. Even exiting Stellarium doesn't do anything to fix the screen. When I closed Stellarium and disconnected from the remote computer and then reconnected, my screen was back to normal. I rebooted, launched Stellarium, and same garbled screen. Something in Stellarium is triggering my netbook display to freak out, but it doesn't happen when I remote in from my Win7 desktop. Both the field netbook and the NUC are on Win10, so go figure!

I found a workaround though. Even though the display is garbled, I was able to find the "windowed mode" button at the bottom of Stellarium's interface (looks like four arrows inside a square). I clicked that, which made Stellarium drop full-screen. I then disconnected from the remote machine, reconnected and viola, no more garbled screen. To save the window settings, you have to press [F2], click on Main, then click on Save View and Save Settings. That way, when you launch Stellarium again, it won't revert to full screen and garble stuff up.

#5 Todd1561

Todd1561

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 25 July 2018 - 01:31 PM

Wanted to add something to this thread in case it helps someone else down the road...  I had an issue when trying to use Stellarium over RDP that it would start but the window would be black.  If I'd go to the computer locally it would be fine.  I found that if I connected via RDP with 32-bit color depth the problems went away.  For me my computer defaulted to 16 bit.  You can change this by clicking on the "Display" tab in the RDP connection window and setting the color depth to 32 bit.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics