•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stellarium and Windows Remote Desktop

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Harris

Michael Harris

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Kentucky, USA

Posted 19 March 2018 - 06:03 PM

I am running Windows 10 on a laptop and miniPC for AP, and when I start Stellarium on the miniPC in Remote Desktop the display is tilted 45 degrees and split, making the program unusable. The split screen remains in the Remote Deskltop window after Stellarium is closed. Anybody ever have this issue before?

#2 boott

boott

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 19 March 2018 - 06:34 PM

Wow that's a good one. No help here. Gooood luck!

• Michael Harris likes this

#3 strygaldwir

strygaldwir

Lift Off

• Loc: Centreville, Virginia

Posted 19 March 2018 - 09:07 PM

Well, I use Stellarium with Windows 10 on both a laptop and desktop machine.  The laptop is an older Lenovo.  I have no issues using remote desktop.  It may be an issue with the miniPC,  I'd reinstall the video drivers.  A lot of folks use TeamViewer.  

Good luck.

• Michael Harris likes this

#4 sparkyht

sparkyht

Messenger

• Loc: The Badger State

Posted 01 April 2018 - 02:05 PM

I did for the first time last night. I use an Intel i3 NUC for my imaging computer and connect with an ASUS x205T netbook, and Stellarium always worked trouble free for me. Then I made the mistake of updating from Stellarium 16.1 to 18.0 yesterday. When I went to use it last night, the issue you describe appeared. I uninstalled 18 and reverted to 16.1 but the problem is still there. Not sure if Winblows updated something on the graphics card while the computer was online yesterday, or if something from 18.0 was installed and left behind in the registry or what, but either way it's now borked. Even exiting Stellarium doesn't do anything to fix the screen. When I closed Stellarium and disconnected from the remote computer and then reconnected, my screen was back to normal. I rebooted, launched Stellarium, and same garbled screen. Something in Stellarium is triggering my netbook display to freak out, but it doesn't happen when I remote in from my Win7 desktop. Both the field netbook and the NUC are on Win10, so go figure!

I found a workaround though. Even though the display is garbled, I was able to find the "windowed mode" button at the bottom of Stellarium's interface (looks like four arrows inside a square). I clicked that, which made Stellarium drop full-screen. I then disconnected from the remote machine, reconnected and viola, no more garbled screen. To save the window settings, you have to press [F2], click on Main, then click on Save View and Save Settings. That way, when you launch Stellarium again, it won't revert to full screen and garble stuff up.

• laguy likes this

#5 Todd1561

Todd1561

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 July 2018 - 01:31 PM

Wanted to add something to this thread in case it helps someone else down the road...  I had an issue when trying to use Stellarium over RDP that it would start but the window would be black.  If I'd go to the computer locally it would be fine.  I found that if I connected via RDP with 32-bit color depth the problems went away.  For me my computer defaulted to 16 bit.  You can change this by clicking on the "Display" tab in the RDP connection window and setting the color depth to 32 bit.

#6 RichardKnox

RichardKnox

Lift Off

• Loc: Tennessee

Posted 02 February 2021 - 03:16 PM

I know this is an old thread but problems like this still occur and what I found here helped me so I thought I would add to it.

I have been tinkering with various ways to have a remote setup for EAA purposes. I was using a Win10 i5 laptop and Remote Desktop (RDP) to access a Mini PC with a Pentium processor running Win10 pro. I was having a few problems with this set-up but no problems running Stellarium.

In an effort to evaluate whether some of my issues were related to the low powered mini pc, I thought I would compare to using a 13" i7 laptop with Win10 Pro. Right off the bat, I found Stellarium would look like it was starting up but never fully open if I tried to start Stellarium on the remote computer through RDP.

I haven't determined the base cause yet but I learned 3 work-arounds while investigating:

1. If I have a 2nd monitor connected to the main laptop I am using to run RDP, when I start Stellarium an icon appears in the lower toolbar on the 2nd monitor that I can click on and Sellarium fully opens,

2. If I start Stellarium on the remote computer before accessing it through RDP Stellarium continues to run unless I close Stellarium and try to restart,

3. The method Sparkyht suggested back in April of 2018.  Use the "windowed mode" button at the bottom of Stellarium's interface (looks like four arrows inside a square). I clicked that, which made Stellarium drop full-screen. To save the window settings, you have to press [F2], click on Main, then click on Save View and Save Settings.  

Now Stellarium starts up in this windowed mode even through RDP with no problems.

I am sure there is something I need to change in all the various settings that would actually resolve the issue but I have yet to find it, so until I do method 3 is a very painless way to move forward with the other testing I was trying to do.

If anyone has other solutions to resolve this issue properly I would still like to hear from you.

Thanks

#7 laguy

laguy

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 March 2021 - 06:03 PM

I have also been having the RDP issues with Stellarium.  I have a new mini PC with an i5 processor and when I start Stellarium on the mini it runs fine.  When I start Stellarium via RDP it looks like it going to run and then hangs the main computer.  I have to go back to the mini, stop the Stellarium process and then I can use the main computer again.  I also have to reboot the mini to get things working again.   I finally found the post from Sparkyht (thank you so much)  and it immediately fixed the problem.   I agree with RichardKnox that this seems like a windows setting issue might be tied to screen resolution?   I don't know.  I don't think it is a driver problem.  I had heard that if you used the ANGLE version of Stellarium it sometimes fixed the issue but I can't figure out how to do that.    I have updated the graphics driver on the mini, reloaded software, etc. and the windowed mode fix was the only solution I found.  I have absolutely no issues when running TeamViewer but would rather use RDP.

#8 PeteD

PeteD

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southwick, Sussex, UK

Posted 06 April 2021 - 11:54 AM

My issue with Stellarium and RDP is that while I am connected to my Mini PC (Beelink U57 Win10 Pro) via RDP Stellarium will run fine with no issues. If I disconnect from the RDP session for a few minutes or minimise the RDP connection it will be gone when I reconnect or restore the RDP window as if it has shut down. I assume its hung and exited memory? . I've had the same issue with the last few versions. All other software I run on the mini PC runs without any issues (NINA, SharpCap, EQMOD and PHD2 etc).

#9 bokemon

bokemon

Viking 1

• Loc: Silicon Valley, California

Posted 24 April 2021 - 06:54 AM

Bump of this thread to see if anybody figured out a solution.

Stellarium starts and runs fine, but disconnecting from Remote Desktop causes Stellarium to crash / shut down.  It must have something to do with Windows deciding to change the screen resolution around, or switching users when you connect / disconnect.

The only solution I found was to minimize Stellarium upon disconnect / reconnect.

Is there an option inside Stellarium to change the graphics driver it chooses to use?

#10 HxPI

HxPI

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Virginia Beach, VA

Posted 24 April 2021 - 09:21 AM

Several years ago when I had Stellarium graphic issues using RDP wrapper on a Compute Stick, I ran Stellarium in ANGLE graphic driver mode. It was one of the application shortcuts provided with the install. The OPENGL graphic driver mode with certain versions of Stellarium had issues with that particular setup. This is not an issue now using the latest version on Win10 Pro and an i5 NUC.

Edited by HxPI, 24 April 2021 - 09:30 AM.

#11 blakesphere

blakesphere

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Toronto, Ontario

Posted 25 April 2021 - 09:48 PM

Have you tried starting Stellarium different ways?

Options I see are:

ANGLE x4

MESA x2

scale 75%

with OpenGL diag

Spout Sender

Maybe one of these will settle things down?

#12 Spidy

Spidy

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 26 April 2021 - 08:26 PM

I would also try running it in Window mode (F11), instead of full screen.

#13 dclt

dclt

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 28 April 2021 - 12:55 PM

I am also running into a weird issue using Stellarium on Remote Desktop connected to my mini PC attached to my mount. When I go to open Stellarium on the mini PC remotely Stellarium just lags on the title screen forever and will not actually open. I am having zero issues connecting remotely to any other piece of software on the mini PC. Also, when I try to use Stellarium on the mini PC while directly connected to that computer with a keyboard/monitor, Stellarium works with zero issue. The issue only occurs when trying to using it through remote connection to the mini PC.

#14 steppen

steppen

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 June 2021 - 08:21 PM

Interesting. Just tried using Stellarium on a mini pc (Beelink intel i3 Windows 10. 8 bytes). All the issues above. I tried the "compatibility" option, and it told me I could run it in Windows 8 mode (whatever that is). I did, and it kind of worked. But it doesn't refresh the screen (using RDP). I have to alternate between screens and then it shows the refreshed screen. I also tried the web version and it's even worse. Like some other people said. I can run SharpCap, NINA, APT, APP, web browse, file explorer. No issues. My guess is that RDP cannot deal with the heavy graphics. I am going to try with a connected monitor to see if it's specific to using Remote Desktop. 

#15 Turf

Turf

Explorer 1

Posted 12 June 2021 - 11:47 AM

I'm having a similar problem.

using stellarium to control my scope, causes the program to crash, and the scope side nuc to fall off the network and disappear. happens right after i do a slew command.

it seems like the remote desktop is unable to negotiate communications.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics