•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

MONO & BINO VIEWING WITH THE BAADER MORPHEUS 17.5MM EYEPIECE

eyepieces
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 BillP

BillP

Hubble

• topic starter
  • Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 22 March 2018 - 11:24 AM

Baader markets their Morpheus line as “high-end” 76° apparent field of view (AFOV) eyepieces designed for visual / photo / video functions that can exploit the capabilities of the finest telescope optics. The eyepieces have a optical design that utilizes 8 lenses in 3 groups and includes the use of 3 low dispersion ED elements and 1 Lanthanum element. With the introduction of the 17.5mm, there are now six eyepieces in the line including 14mm, 12mm, 9mm, 6.5mm, and 4.5mm. All eyepieces can be used in either 1.25” or 2” focusers without adapters. The Morpheus line touts a rather long list of features and comes packaged with multiple accessories.

Click here to view the article
  • NiteGuy and jay.i like this

#2 BillP

BillP

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 22 March 2018 - 11:49 AM

FYI, an update -- On March 3rd it was beautifully dark and clear at my home so took out my Celestron Onyx, 80mm f/6.25, 500mm focal length for some testing with the 17.5mm Morpheus which did not make it into the article.  With this optic, which is an FPL-53 doublet, should show a lot more field curvature (FC) than my other scopes and maybe put more star point stress on the eyepiece.  I observed Sirius as the test case, then on to M42 (Iota to the cluster above 42 Ori was in the FOV so more than the entire Sword), then over to Pleiades.  Sirius at the field stop showed no astigmatism, and just a bit of a boated star from the FC present from the main optic.  Only a little less than 1/4 turn of the focuser knob to bring it to pinpoint focus.  Moving on to M42, with that centered everything looked just great and no malformed star points.  Moving to M45 Pleiades, there was more than enough room to fit this in its entirety and all the star points beautiful.  So eyepiece put up beautiful view in a 500mm focal length optic with lots of FC due to short focal length.  I was not using any prisms in the light path as prism path can impact performance, especially when it is excessive (more than just a simple diagonal).  Instead I was using a Baader BBHS Silver mirror diagonal.  But for a conventional doublet ED Apo telescope with a short focal length and no prism path, views were quite beautiful with only minimal bloat to the round star point at the field stop due to the FC of the main objective.  Quite nice to see no astigmatism even in this fast of an optic; and rectilinear distortion was quite controlled as well.

Edited by BillP, 22 March 2018 - 11:50 AM.

• wprince, okiestarman56 and NiteGuy like this

#3 NiteGuy

NiteGuy

Apollo

• Loc: Northern Arizona

Posted 22 March 2018 - 12:47 PM

Thanks Bill, I also have an Onyx 80mm, so I appreciate your update that includes this scope. Now, all I have to do is place my order for the 17.5mm before the sale ends.

Edit: Just finished reading your excellent review and the one thing that stands out is your measurement of 77-degrees AFOV vs the manufacture's spec of 76. I know there's a margin of error possibility in your tests but I've always felt that the quoted 76-degrees was a bit narrow compared to my own Morpheus observations and comparisons with other wide field eyepieces. So, for what it's worth, I concur with your 77-degree AFOV as likely being the more true number.

Edited by NiteGuy, 22 March 2018 - 01:18 PM.

#4 BillP

BillP

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 22 March 2018 - 01:58 PM

When I do the measures for AFOV, I feel that if my number is within 5% of the stated number then that's a reasonable error margin.  So 5% would be +/- 4 degrees.  But I agree with you that the AFOV of the Morpheus feels more expansive than one would think for 76 degrees.  I also eyeballed all the AFOVs on every focal length and found them to all be exactly the same.  So consistent.

• NiteGuy likes this

#5 allev8s

allev8s

Sputnik

• Loc: Kaiserslautern, KMC, Germany

Posted 25 March 2018 - 02:36 PM

Bill, Thank you for the review. I ordered a pair of this eyepiece. Your review fortified the decision to purchase this ep. As always, you write and present excellent reading articles.

#6 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Cosmos

• Loc: Northeastern Cal

Posted 26 March 2018 - 10:22 AM

https://www.cloudyni...m-morpheus-eps/

#7 Mike McShan

Mike McShan

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 28 March 2018 - 10:01 PM

Thanks for the review, Bill.  After reading it I purchased the 17.5mm as well as the Morpheus 4.5mm.  My scopes are a Stellarvue f/6.5 4" APO and a Celestron C6 with a f/6.3 focal reducer.  Both eyepieces have been impressive with good eye relief.  The 17.5 has become may medium low power EP of choice while the 4.5mm outperforms my Nagler 4.8mm easily (in spite of the slightly narrower AFOV). 

#8 25585

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 15 July 2018 - 12:36 PM

I have bought 2 17.5mm for bino viewing. As Bill says the eye relief is greater than advertised. As as a glasses wearer by necessity, whether for 1 or 2 eye viewing,  I found the eye relief just right.

IPD is almost millimetre-perfect, as the short cups rolled down provide protection from scratching to my spectacles lenses, their outer rims touching the sides of my nose.

I have also a Vixen LVW 17mm and a Nikon NAV SW 17.5mm. The Nikon is smaller and lighter than the other 2. Hopefully I will do a comparison between all 3, but if anyone has already compared the Morpheus with a 17mm Delos, the result would be interesting to know.  

#9 patiponp101

patiponp101

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 05 October 2018 - 05:06 AM

Thanks for the good ideas to bring it. I know a lot more.   ::p

สมัครufabet

ufabet

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eyepieces

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics