•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Xasteria Astro Weather for iOS: With new 7Timer mirror service.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ecuador

ecuador

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Stockport, UK

Posted 22 March 2018 - 06:09 PM

I maintain Xasteria, an iOS client of the 7Timer! astro weather service. While no weather service is close to perfect in forecasts (7Timer!'s own scientists estimate accuracy of their service to 50-85% IIRC - which is considered good), cross-checking a few seems to give a reasonable chance of "getting it right", hence I implemented the service that was missing from iOS at the time. While I prefer 7Timer!'s visualization and features over other services, the main disadvantage has been reliability of the service. This is due to it being both non-commercial and also hosted at an institution that, while gracious in resources, is subject to some unusual bureaucratic rules that have led to downtime.

Hopefully, these reliability issues will be a thing of the past, I offered a dedicated NY-based server to 7Timer!'s original developer and he took the time to set up a mirror of the service. We are evaluating performance in order to switch the main domain to it (or at least have it as a fail-over), but at least Xasteria users are already using it as the main data source.

So, Xasteria 1.12 released today looks up the new mirror first, otherwise not much has changed in the new version, except the links to NOAA's GOES-16 satellite imagery (replacing the retired GOES-13).

PS: I don't really have an active beta-testing community for Xasteria like I do for Polar Scope Align, so if you notice some bug slipping through, do contact me about it - TIA ;)

IMG_0755.PNG

Edited by ecuador, 22 March 2018 - 06:12 PM.

• nicknacknock and Bob Trabucco like this

#2 ecuador

ecuador

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 27 March 2018 - 02:33 PM

The official 7Timer.info domain now points to the US server. The 7timer.org domain points to the original server, I assume the US one will be faster for users not in Asia.

#3 ecuador

ecuador

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 08 September 2018 - 06:50 AM

Xasteria 2 is out with new features and full screen iPhone X support. Enjoy!

Xasteria2.0.png

Edited by ecuador, 08 September 2018 - 06:53 AM.

#4 ecuador

ecuador

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 08 September 2018 - 06:56 AM

The NOAA water vapor page got some improvements. Remember, you can use pinch/pull to resize, so on ipad landscape you can view the maps like so:

iPad-Landscape-Retina-Display.png

Edited by ecuador, 08 September 2018 - 06:58 AM.

#5 ecuador

ecuador

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 01 October 2020 - 09:41 AM

Xasteria 3.0 is out! It now integrates Clear Sky Charts as an alternative source for North America:

Simulator Screen Shot - iPhone 6 - 2020-09-29 at 17.18.36.png

It has some more features/fixes, including access to light pollution maps.

You might have noticed Xasteria Plus was released recently as well - mainly to fund faster 7Timer service servers and allow me to provide some useful weather sources that are not free (currently using Dark Sky). Otherwise, Xasteria is always free.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics