•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Are you a Vixen Fluorite/ED fan?

refractor
  • Please log in to reply
263 replies to this topic

#251 Nippon

Nippon

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 03 November 2019 - 01:59 PM

I observed with a guy who had a Vixen made 6" f/6 Newtonian on the Vixen Sensor EQ mount and it was all branded Tasco.

• Simon B likes this

#252 Jason B

Jason B

Proud father of 5!!

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mid-Michigan

Posted 03 November 2019 - 03:12 PM

I've never seen the Tasco version of the FL102.  Sharp looking scope!

• donadani likes this

#253 Reid W

Reid W

Viking 1

• Loc: Shreveport, LA

Posted 03 November 2019 - 04:27 PM

A question to fellow Vixen refractor owners. I have an ED 103s and live in Florida. My dew heater strips seem to struggle keeping the objective lens completely free of dew even on the maximum setting. They don't get totally dewed up just a slight fog. I have two brands of strips. Dew Not and Astrozap and they both get warm to the touch. Most Vixen 4" scopes have similar dew shield dimensions so what works on any one model I figure should work on all. So where do you place your heater strip for the best result?

Thanks, Paul

Do you have a dew shield extension?

#254 Nippon

Nippon

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 03 November 2019 - 05:05 PM

No and I've thought about that. Truth is Vixen and Takahashi dew hoods are pretty short and much larger in diameter than the optic they are shielding. I have a Stellarvue 102 triplet and it has a much longer and smaller diameter in relation to the optic dew shield. As a result I rarely have any dewing on the Stellarvue.

• Castor and Bomber Bob like this

#255 John Huntley

John Huntley

Vanguard

• Loc: Portishead, SW England - mentioned in the Domesday Book.

Posted 04 November 2019 - 05:19 PM

No and I've thought about that. Truth is Vixen and Takahashi dew hoods are pretty short and much larger in diameter than the optic they are shielding. I have a Stellarvue 102 triplet and it has a much longer and smaller diameter in relation to the optic dew shield. As a result I rarely have any dewing on the Stellarvue.

Wouldn't a dew shield that is smaller in diameter than the objective cause some loss of light ?

Of have I missed something ?

#256 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: ROR Obs. near Pettigrew, AR

Posted 04 November 2019 - 05:33 PM

I think he means smaller than the competitors. It would still be larger than the objective.

#257 Nippon

Nippon

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 04 November 2019 - 06:17 PM

I think he means smaller than the competitors. It would still be larger than the objective.

Yes I do mean that.

#258 donadani

donadani

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 07 November 2019 - 12:41 AM

Meanwhile I had first-light with the Tasco FL and what should I say... - it has one of the best optics I ever saw - and I saw some right now ;)

After a cooldown for about 45min I did a startest on Altair and could go up to unbelivable 562x! (Vixen HR 1,6) just seeing nice ring patterns on both sides of focus! OF COURSE this is absolutely no usefull magnification for a 4" apo - but only shows how good the optic is corrected. Absolutely no coma could be detected - all rings go centric through just one point in and out. In focus the optics shows an nice, fluffy little ball as nice as I saw only with an Zeiss AS80 until now. When I put in a Ronchi eyepiece the lines look like a zebra-crossing: straight all over and in any direction. 

Had three FL-102S until now and this one is by far the best... - so maybe Vixen searched out their best lenses ever made to support Tasco here :) 

Kudos Tasco - Kudos! :)

• Erik Bakker, eros312, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#259 Marcus Roman

Marcus Roman

Vostok 1

Posted 07 November 2019 - 06:52 AM

Meanwhile I had first-light with the Tasco FL and what should I say... - it has one of the best optics I ever saw - and I saw some right now wink.gif

After a cooldown for about 45min I did a startest on Altair and could go up to unbelivable 562x! (Vixen HR 1,6) just seeing nice ring patterns on both sides of focus! OF COURSE this is absolutely no usefull magnification for a 4" apo - but only shows how good the optic is corrected. Absolutely no coma could be detected - all rings go centric through just one point in and out. In focus the optics shows an nice, fluffy little ball as nice as I saw only with an Zeiss AS80 until now. When I put in a Ronchi eyepiece the lines look like a zebra-crossing: straight all over and in any direction. 

Had three FL-102S until now and this one is by far the best... - so maybe Vixen searched out their best lenses ever made to support Tasco here smile.gif

Kudos Tasco - Kudos! smile.gif

Great report! As it refers to the Ronchi test, did you reduce down to 3 lines and if so, how did the external lines resemble when pushed to the borders of the field stop?

Edited by Marcus Roman, 07 November 2019 - 06:52 AM.

#260 donadani

donadani

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 07 November 2019 - 01:08 PM

Hi Marcus,

I used this eyepiece:  http://www.astro-mes...DE V1_1 (2).pdf

Guess I saw about five lines or so - like in the samples in the manual. With most optics you see some bending of the lines in any direction or a spherical zone or something. Not with the Tasco :)

If you have any ideas how I can vary the test - let me know :)

cs

Chris

#261 Marcus Roman

Marcus Roman

Vostok 1

Posted 07 November 2019 - 05:48 PM

Hi Marcus,

I used this eyepiece:  http://www.astro-mes...DE V1_1 (2).pdf

Guess I saw about five lines or so - like in the samples in the manual. With most optics you see some bending of the lines in any direction or a spherical zone or something. Not with the Tasco smile.gif

If you have any ideas how I can vary the test - let me know smile.gif

cs

Chris

Hi Chris, I have same eyepiece from Dr. Gerd! Very nice and useful! I usually push it up to limit to see just 3 lines, and if they are parallel even when the two external lines touch the field stop, then you have perfect optics!

If they are just a bit a little bent, as is normal even with superb optics, I have been told the optics are close to perfection.

I am sure your gorgeous Tasco Fluorite, which is really extremely beautiful, is also perfect or close to perfection.

Really compliments! 

Marco

Edited by Marcus Roman, 07 November 2019 - 05:50 PM.

#262 donadani

donadani

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 November 2019 - 12:21 AM

I will check that out with three lines next time the clouds let me... smile.gif

Edited by donadani, 08 November 2019 - 12:22 AM.

#263 Nippon

Nippon

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 08 November 2019 - 09:33 AM

Poor Tasco they are most associated with cheap department store toy Christmas scopes. But obviously the Tasco FL102 in this post is a high end Vixen fluorite. Tasco was always an importer and never actually built anything to my knowledge. In the 60s they sold under their brand a range of very good scopes built by manufacturers in Japan. I had a 60mm Tasco refractor in the 60s and it had an excellent objective lens. The provided eyepieces were .965 and were pretty inexpensive designs but while having very narrow fields of view and little eye relief I don't recall the eyepieces being of poor optical quality.

• eros312, Bomber Bob, donadani and 2 others like this

#264 Jason B

Jason B

Proud father of 5!!

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mid-Michigan

Posted 09 November 2019 - 09:02 PM

I have seen a few Tasco chromatic refractors with the vixen circle the logo on them but other than Celestron, I didn't think the ED or FL series were anything but Vixen branded.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics