•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Are you a Vixen Fluorite/ED fan?

refractor
  • Please log in to reply
263 replies to this topic

#26 Fomalhaut

Fomalhaut

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Switzerland

Posted 26 March 2018 - 05:16 PM

Looks like they are going to offer at least one very soon... FL55SS

https://www.vixen.co...roduct/26201_4/

Ah, THAT could be where the wind is blowing from... grin.gif

#27 Nick Will

Nick Will

Mariner 2

• Loc: Wildwood Florida

Posted 26 March 2018 - 06:35 PM

Yes..most definitely

7784C257-5A67-462A-B662-2E5D25134CE8.jpeg

• paulsky, Erik Bakker, rolo and 9 others like this

#28 GShaffer

GShaffer

Knight of Ni

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bogart, Ga USA

Posted 26 March 2018 - 06:51 PM

Been a fan for a long time......I recently got caught at a weak moment and sold my ED102SS to Tyson M which I am sure I will live to regret though if he enjoys it as much as I did that will make me happy. I still have my FL102S which I think I will take with me in the coffin and a recently acquired ED114SS (only reason I was willing to let go of the 102SS) along with a NA140 I have also had for many years.  

I had two ED102S's at one point with the intention of making a pair of binos with......When I got the FL102S some years ago I ended up selling both of them with the intention of acquiring another FL102S and making the binos out of them when the opportunity presented itself.....I missed one chance a year or so ago.....But I am sure I will get there eventually :)

• rolo, Terra Nova, Tyson M and 1 other like this

#29 peleuba

peleuba

Surveyor 1

• Loc: North of Baltimore, MD

Posted 26 March 2018 - 07:40 PM

That's some nice optics. Do you find the spherochromatism unmixes with a green filter and you're able to get sharper inner rings vs a smear with a filter?

"Unmixes" is probably not the right word but I do understand the spirit of your comment.  Using a green filter rejects all colors but green; so you see the spherical correction at one wavelength.  When viewing only one wavelength, practically speaking, there is no such thing as spherochromatism. 

The filters you want to use are Wratten 56, 58 and 11.  The first two are green, the last is yellow green.  I sometimes stack 56 and 11.

The pattern is cleaned up somewhat with a green filter.

Edited by peleuba, 26 March 2018 - 07:42 PM.

• rolo and Fomalhaut like this

#30 Reid W

Reid W

Viking 1

• Loc: Shreveport, LA

Posted 26 March 2018 - 08:41 PM

I'm a fan- of the Japanese variants.

The 90F was my intro to refractors 20 years ago.  It still delivers the views. 

The recently acquired 81 is a super optic.  The views are great.  Getting a clean split on Eta Orionis was pretty cool.   I cannot wait for summer time Milky Way cruising with this tube.

What's neat about the 81 is that I can use a super light mount and still  have the superb views. 

• rolo, KevH and db2005 like this

#31 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: GA

Posted 26 March 2018 - 09:09 PM

Another impressive little Vixen was the 70mm Fluorite. I still miss this one as my grab and go with driven mount.

Attached Thumbnails

• C70-2.jpg

• peleuba, Erik Bakker, memento and 10 others like this

#32 Tyson M

Tyson M

Soyuz

• Loc: Alberta, Canada

Posted 26 March 2018 - 09:26 PM

Vixen 81S doing some solar work in poor transparency. 

38810677790_5a78995d59_o.jpg

• rolo, Lewis Cason, memento and 5 others like this

#33 donadani

donadani

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 26 March 2018 - 11:58 PM

Been a fan for a long time......I recently got caught at a weak moment and sold my ED102SS to Tyson M which I am sure I will live to regret though if he enjoys it as much as I did that will make me happy. I still have my FL102S which I think I will take with me in the coffin and a recently acquired ED114SS (only reason I was willing to let go of the 102SS) along with a NA140 I have also had for many years.  

I had two ED102S's at one point with the intention of making a pair of binos with......When I got the FL102S some years ago I ended up selling both of them with the intention of acquiring another FL102S and making the binos out of them when the opportunity presented itself.....I missed one chance a year or so ago.....But I am sure I will get there eventually smile.gif

Same here - sold my ED102SS recently and stayed with the FL. I always used the short ED and the FL stayed sleeping in it´s nice box.

The ED was very, very good but when comparing them directly there was no question which one is better. Last time when I took the FL out of the box I found it not much more unconvenient and so decided from then on to use it as grab&go instead of the ED - and let the ED go. Looked not back until now wink.gif

cs

Chris

... that ED was really a nice scope! 

Edited by donadani, 27 March 2018 - 12:01 AM.

• rolo, Fomalhaut, GShaffer and 9 others like this

#34 jjack's

jjack's

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: normandy

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:43 AM

Yes, i am a big fan of the FL 102S. An amazing refractor ! textbook perfect stars. No colour infocus or out of focus on stars, Venus or anything else. Quick cool down. The only drawback is the focuser is not made to adapt 2" eyepiece older. it is 53mm. Impossible to make an eyepiece older with a 53mm filter thread and a 50.8mm (2") hole.

IMG_0547a.jpg

• rolo, memento, KevH and 6 others like this

#35 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 27 March 2018 - 02:29 PM

Lots of folks upgrade the focuser so every once in a while you'll see a 2" Vixen focuser for sale.

#36 photoracer18

photoracer18

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 27 March 2018 - 05:17 PM

I put a Feathertouch 2025 on my FL-80S just so I could use 2" eyepieces as it was the original model with the smaller focuser.
  • gnowellsct likes this

#37 NHRob

NHRob

Cosmos

• Loc: Southern Cloud-Hampshire

Posted 27 March 2018 - 05:51 PM

Big fan of Vixen.  I haven't owned their fluorites but, have owned a few of their ED apos.  Great optics!

• rolo likes this

#38 Lookitup

Lookitup

Mariner 2

• Loc: Florida

Posted 27 March 2018 - 07:26 PM

I sure am! I was hooked when I got my very first SS102ED then the FL102 f/8.8 version followed by the FL102 f/9 and various other Vixen ED models! Below is the f/8.8 version.

Me 2 lol.gif . ED115S & FC100DF that is. Color correction is very close. Hard to beat Japanese steel (glass). 

Attached Thumbnails

• Vixen_Tak.jpg

• rolo, KevH, T1R2 and 3 others like this

#39 scooke

scooke

Vostok 1

Posted 28 March 2018 - 04:37 PM

I love these scopes.  I had a Celestron 90mm Fluorite from the early to mid 90's and sold it to Todd Gross.  You can read his reviews.  Big league planetary performance.  It could go to 550x during the day.  It was amazing, the image got too dim, it never broke down in good seeing.  I got a 102 FL F8.8 years later and enjoyed it even more.  Best 3.5 and 4" optics I've ever looked through.  Pinpoint stars and very little cool down time with very light tube assembly.  What's not to like?  The original focusers were not very good.

• mikeDnight likes this

#40 gfeulner

gfeulner

Viking 1

• Loc: Bergen county, New Jersey

Posted 28 March 2018 - 04:45 PM

I have the 1980's Celestron version of the 80mm. Takes 250x plus on doubles with ease.

Gerry

#41 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 28 March 2018 - 08:07 PM

A while back I had three ED's

Attached Thumbnails

• Vix trio.JPG

• Scott99, GlenM, memento and 7 others like this

#42 LewisM

LewisM

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Somewhere in the cosmos...

Posted 28 March 2018 - 10:18 PM

Oh yes.

First serious scope was an FL102S. It is 100% responsible for my fluorite fervor.

Then I had the very uncommon DED108SS.

And an 81Ssf

Loved them all. The 108SS was plagued by the bloated star issue, but it was still something special.

But... then the Tak Monster bit me....
  • rolo, mikeDnight and Defenderslideguitar like this

#43 ltha

ltha

Viking 1

• Loc: Bend, Oregon

Posted 29 March 2018 - 09:09 AM

I traded a wonderful Takahashi FS-102 for a C102F years ago. The Celestron fluorite became my most used scope for quite a while. It was on an old, well traveled Vixen Super Polaris and could be carried outside in a matter of minutes. The optics are superb in every way. I did add a Moonlight focuser at some point which was a step up from stock. My only complaint is the rather easy to cross thread dew shield. Every indication is that it will be here for life! 

Attached Thumbnails

• 1EA19C57-A16E-415B-915A-69AD30621737.jpeg

• zjc26138, rolo, Scott99 and 11 others like this

#44 jay.i

jay.i

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Posted 29 March 2018 - 11:13 AM

I traded a wonderful Takahashi FS-102 for a C102F years ago. The Celestron fluorite became my most used scope for quite a while. It was on an old, well traveled Vixen Super Polaris and could be carried outside in a matter of minutes. The optics are superb in every way. I did add a Moonlight focuser at some point which was a step up from stock. My only complaint is the rather easy to cross thread dew shield. Every indication is that it will be here for life! 

My scopes have frosted up before when bringing them inside from the cold, but that much frost on a lovely scope while it's outside would make me uncomfortable. Did you leave that out all night or what?

• rolo likes this

#45 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 29 March 2018 - 11:58 AM

Nice scope Larry.

Mr C

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#46 ltha

ltha

Viking 1

Posted 29 March 2018 - 05:09 PM

Rolo - recognize it? 

Jay.i - it may well have been out all night. The seeing here often improves in the late night/wee morning hours and i get up, check it, and often wait a while and check again. Bringing the scope in and out repeatedly is not realistic as the house is in the low 60s and the deck the 30s or less. Plus, I often find myself still at the eyepiece as dawn begins. Everything is capped and I have never had an issue with the optics except an eyepiece occasionally fogging up when my eye is too close. This summer I am building a rolloff observatory and the scopes will Remain closer to ambient temps!but have better protection from dew. 

It was far far worse when I lived a hundred yards from the Ocean in So Cal. When I left a scope out to cool to ambient temperatures I often ended up soaked from the dew pouring off of the tube. I almost installed a drip ring.....

Edited by ltha, 29 March 2018 - 07:21 PM.

• rolo likes this

#47 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 29 March 2018 - 05:45 PM

My 1995 Vixen FL80S is my most versatile grab & go -- especially with a 6-eyepiece UNITRON Unihex attached -- on a vintage Vixen Polaris mount (only needs one counterweight):

Vixen FL80S S13.jpg

From 15x to 300x, the views are probably as perfect for its aperture as I'll ever see.

• Erik Bakker, rolo, Traveler and 8 others like this

#48 RAKing

RAKing

Cosmos

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 29 March 2018 - 05:59 PM

This scope and mount bring back lots of wonderful memories.

Thanks for sharing your photo!  waytogo.gif 

Ron

• rolo likes this

#49 ltha

ltha

Viking 1

Posted 29 March 2018 - 07:39 PM

Hi Ron,

I enjoyed your comment, and it really hit home. Astronomy is a very personal adventure, and yet for me it is not only the many nights I have been out alone at the eyepiece marveling at the night sky, but also the memories of sharing the adventure with friends, family, and strangers. The C102F has been a part of so many shared experiences that I have lost track, and just looking at it takes me back to so many memories. One was the night a friend and his wife flew up and she looked at Saturn for the first time through the Celestron. She actually gasped at the image! Another was the last minute decision to haul it along for the total eclipse last July. It did double duty with my good friend Andy Sedlacek doing sky tours at night, then as a solar scope with a Herschel wedge during the day. My friends Oleg (from Ukraine) and Sasha  (Russian astrophysicist at the eyepiece) enjoying a look at the sun.

larry

Attached Thumbnails

• 6E8D4172-2B69-4CCF-80D0-3E13431F23D4.jpeg

• rolo, Scott99, RAKing and 7 others like this

#50 Traveler

Traveler

Gemini

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 29 March 2018 - 11:08 PM

Very nice collection of Vixen's here!

Maybe it is common knowledge but I wonder why Vixen decided to stop using Fuorite in their scopes? Maybe they didn't with the ED80SF but i can not find anything about the use of fluorite or not. I think when they do use fluorite, the would mention it, wouldn't they?

Edited by Traveler, 29 March 2018 - 11:19 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics