•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Why doesn't Astronomics/Astro Tech come to NEAF?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#26 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Soyuz

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 02 April 2018 - 12:11 PM

OPT comes from California. So it's not too far...

STARKID2U

Yes, I said that above.

#27 Astronomics

Astronomics

Vendor: Astronomics

• Administrators
  • Loc: Right Here

Posted 18 April 2018 - 06:53 PM

OPT comes, but they only bring their small stuff. The rest are more local.

I understand they are not making the trip this year.

#28 Astronomics

Astronomics

Vendor: Astronomics

• Administrators
  • Loc: Right Here

Posted 18 April 2018 - 06:55 PM

Anybody know? I'd love to check out an AT102ED in person before I buy, but it seems I won't have that opportunity. At least not at NEAF.

As times have changed, I have had to change as well.  My kiddos have a ton of events that go on every year right around NEAF and I just can't miss them.  I can say the same about my staff.  I would not want them to miss some important home life events because I decided to stay home.  Maybe in a few years when the kids go off and graduate High School I can make the trip again.

• Jon Isaacs, zjc26138, csa/montana and 10 others like this

#29 RAC-INC

RAC-INC

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 18 April 2018 - 08:25 PM

As times have changed, I have had to change as well.  My kiddos have a ton of events that go on every year right around NEAF and I just can't miss them.  I can say the same about my staff.  I would not want them to miss some important home life events because I decided to stay home.  Maybe in a few years when the kids go off and graduate High School I can make the trip again.

You are welcome any time Michael!!

• Bob Moore likes this

#30 Ishtim

Ishtim

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: N. Alabama, USA

Posted 19 April 2018 - 10:48 PM

My first NEAF experience was a live stream of Tom T (I believe) perusing the floor and doing interviews with various vendors.  Maybe 10 yrs ago?  It brought the show "home" to those of us that couldn't/cant make it to NY for such a wonderful event.  Maybe someday it will happen again...

#31 Pinbout

Pinbout

ISS

Posted 20 April 2018 - 06:08 PM

My first NEAF experience was a live stream of Tom T (I believe) perusing the floor and doing interviews with various vendors.  Maybe 10 yrs ago?  It brought the show "home" to those of us that couldn't/cant make it to NY for such a wonderful event.  Maybe someday it will happen again...

Sure but not by him

#32 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Aurora

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 22 April 2018 - 12:09 AM

Here's my NEAF update: Saw my 36-inch for the 1st time. Few more tweaks, and Ryan will deliver it to my observatory around the Summer Solstice! Will then sport the GoTo Drive and an 8-inch finder. And I DID see the APM 120 ED APO on the display floor. I already have/enjoy the 100 and, well they DO say "Aperture Rules" but... Hmmm, my wife's still working on allowing the 36-inch New Moon Dobsonian and... Hmmm... ?!  Maybe the Ides of September for the APM Binos? Can't shake some guy's quote regarding ~Beware~... Anyway, here's a picture of me, caressing the 36 >>  Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 13 The New Telescope 70.jpg

• zjc26138, George N, Illinois and 7 others like this

#33 akulapanam

akulapanam

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 22 April 2018 - 03:30 PM

Honestly I can understand why shops wouldn't get much from the conference.  Nice stuff on display but I thought AICCCD was even better.  I almost bought a couple of cameras but decided I didn't really want to pay retail shipping to send stuff back to me.

Edited by akulapanam, 22 April 2018 - 03:30 PM.

#34 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Soyuz

• Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 22 April 2018 - 06:43 PM

I understand they [OPT] are not making the trip this year.

Correct. I was pretty bummed when I walked the show floor and didn't see them on the first lap, or 2nd lap, or 3rd lap.

4th time around, I asked at the RAC booth - sure enough, no OPT this year. I could've browsed their tables for hours.

Woodland Hills and High Point Scientific were the only sizeable "we sell just about everything" dealers there.

On the other hand, OPT's absence isn't going to stop me attending - still a great opportunity to meet and discuss product details with the designers and often business owners. Televue, ZWO, iOptron, Explore Scientific, Skywatcher, Losmandy, Bisque, etc.... all there in person....

#35 hopskipson

hopskipson

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 22 April 2018 - 07:47 PM

The first time I went to NEAF Astronomics was there.  I waffled back and forth on buying a TMB 92SS and still regret not getting it.  The next year they were not there and I was totally bummed.  I always bring cash and leave with much less in my pocket.  Daystar and High point took a big chunk this year, but I got some nice discounts.  I went this afternoon so I realized that the attendance was going to be lower, but it seemed like fewer vendors this year.  No Opt, which left a big space and it looked as if no one picked up the slack. Was nice though to be able to talk with some of the vendors and the designers.

#36 swalker

swalker

Associate Editor - Sky & Telescope

• Vendors
  • Loc: 42.9225°N, 71.2242°W

Posted 23 April 2018 - 06:18 AM

OPT comes, but they only bring their small stuff. The rest are more local.

They didn't come this year. Only Woodland Hills Camera was there out of the big retailers, plus a new one, Outdoor Sports Optics, which appears to be the US distributor for APM (Markus Ludes).

Edited by swalker, 23 April 2018 - 06:19 AM.

• George N likes this

#37 Dan G

Dan G

Vanguard

• Loc: Minisink, NY and Maine!

Posted 23 April 2018 - 09:20 PM

They didn't come this year. Only Woodland Hills Camera was there out of the big retailers, plus a new one, Outdoor Sports Optics, which appears to be the US distributor for APM (Markus Ludes).

Highpoint Scientific was there too!!

Dan in NY

#38 akulapanam

akulapanam

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 23 April 2018 - 09:38 PM

Highpoint Scientific was there too!!

Dan in NY

As was Cloudbreak Optics and O’Telescope

#39 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 23 April 2018 - 10:31 PM

I wasn't at NEAF so it's no big deal for me that OPT and Astronomics did not go.  

On the other hand.  Astronomics supports Cloudy Nights and if Astronomics had to choose between supporting Cloudy Nights or attending NEAF, I would certainly vote for supporting Cloudy Nights.  Because of Cloudy Nights, I can find out what happened at NEAF and a whole lot more.  

Jon

• zjc26138, csa/montana, Pinbout and 3 others like this

#40 EuropaWill

EuropaWill

Apollo

• Loc: Lower Hudson Valley NY

Posted 24 April 2018 - 08:04 PM

I was only there for a few hours on Sunday but as always its a great experience and I wish I had the chance to have spent more time there this year. Had a great conversation with Celestron and decided on my next mount, iNova was there from France and they have some cool self contained imaging systems (no computer needed) they're going to be updating on their US website soon, picked up some much needed ADM adapters, saw the iOptron CEM120 in person (looks super in person)....Checked out APM's large refractors and chatted with Markus about them, and saw the new Sky Watcher 150ED.  It would have been awesome to see Astronomics and their new refractors, RC's, (especially that new AT152EDT ) so that was missing unfortunately. Oh and I can't forget that Exploradome had not only their 8' dome setup but their 11' dome setup. And it is a sight to behold, just stunning!.  Where else can you have this kind of experience in just a few hours?  It's too bad NEAF doesn't happen twice a year!

#41 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 25 April 2018 - 07:50 PM

OSO is Mike Peoples' new 'gig'. Marcus and his friends were in the booth and are probably co-owners - and there was tons of APM stuff there. However, their signs showed a bunch of other brands, so I guess the 'plan' is to make it into an "Astro General Store".

I bought a 13mm 100 degree eyepiece from them.

#42 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 April 2018 - 07:53 PM

Here's my NEAF update: Saw my 36-inch for the 1st time. Few more tweaks, and Ryan will deliver it to my observatory around the Summer Solstice! Will then sport the GoTo Drive and an 8-inch finder. And I DID see the APM 120 ED APO on the display floor. I already have/enjoy the 100 and, well they DO say "Aperture Rules" but... Hmmm, my wife's still working on allowing the 36-inch New Moon Dobsonian and... Hmmm... ?!  Maybe the Ides of September for the APM Binos? Can't shake some guy's quote regarding ~Beware~... Anyway, here's a picture of me, caressing the 36 >>  Tom

If your wife has "problems"..... I will be glad to store that beautiful scope at my house - where of course you can use it!  smirk.gif

.....and PLEASE bring it to Cherry Springs Star Party!  cool.gif

• Pilot87178d and dagadget like this

#43 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Aurora

Posted 25 April 2018 - 09:56 PM

If your wife has "problems"..... I will be glad to store that beautiful scope at my house - where of course you can use it!  smirk.gif

.....and PLEASE bring it to Cherry Springs Star Party!  cool.gif

Cherry Springs is indeed relatively close. It's been years since my wife has even Entered the observatory! It's about 1000ft from the house and 80 feet higher. The only time she even goes up there in in the spring, to harvest wild leeks. Oops... it's springtime. At my request, Ryan is optimizing the scope for permanent installation in the observatory, rotating dome. So it's heavier build, 2-inch trusses and beefed-up substantially, all around. To add even more luxury, it will be on an elevator (already installed and tested!) so I can raise and lower it to get ergo comfort just right, depending on the altitude of the target. Access to focus is a nice 12-step warehouse ladder (staircase with rails both sides).

Most customers would indeed want a ~portable 36~ (?!) And Ryan would then optimize the build for that intended use.  Tom

Here's the elevator -->>

Attached Thumbnails

• Elevator for the 36.jpg

• Dave Mitsky, doctordub, George N and 2 others like this

#44 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 26 April 2018 - 12:35 PM

............ At my request, Ryan is optimizing the scope for permanent installation in the observatory, rotating dome. So it's heavier build, 2-inch trusses and beefed-up substantially, all around. To add even more luxury, it will be on an elevator (already installed and tested!) so I can raise and lower it to get ergo comfort just right, depending on the altitude of the target. Access to focus is a nice 12-step warehouse ladder (staircase with rails both sides).

Most customers would indeed want a ~portable 36~ (?!) And Ryan would then optimize the build for that intended use.  Tom

Here's the elevator -->>

About half-way into this YouTube vid (https://www.youtube....h?v=pRs46hxl0NE) from NEAF (poster is here on CN) you can see the Goodsons putting the UTA on the 36. The "littlest Goodson" did some polishing of it too, and seems completely all right with her mom and dad that far up a ladder! 

The next day I asked her if she likes telescopes and got a very enthusiastic "Yes!"  cool.gif  

Ryan is a long-time friend and I've looked thru a long succession of his telescope designs. You made a wise choice with this telescope!

#45 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Aurora

Posted 26 April 2018 - 01:20 PM

About half-way into this YouTube vid (https://www.youtube....h?v=pRs46hxl0NE) from NEAF (poster is here on CN) you can see the Goodsons putting the UTA on the 36. The "littlest Goodson" did some polishing of it too, and seems completely all right with her mom and dad that far up a ladder! 

The next day I asked her if she likes telescopes and got a very enthusiastic "Yes!"  cool.gif  

Ryan is a long-time friend and I've looked thru a long succession of his telescope designs. You made a wise choice with this telescope!

Hi, George, Thanks! I just watched, with fascination. Heather and Ryan sure coordinate well!

I was installing a Gantry Crane in the dome, but Ryan has me convinced we don't need it. That YouTube video further convinces me to forgo the crane entirely. There are already two warehouse ladders in there, a 6-step and a 12-step. Woo Hoo!! 36 inches of enhanced-coating aperture is sure gona be nice. ~Assemble once, use forever~ has a nice ring to it. Ryan even has a nice procedure for giving the PM a bath, without even removing it or making a mess. The coating is pristine now, but nice to know I can clean it without having to extract it. PS the Fullum TechnoFusion mirror is VERY light weight.

And HERE is an image of how I double-framed the (geodesic) dome E wall (on the up-hill side). Panels pop out to give that HUGE access for bringing equipment in and out. Right from the field to the deck to the inside with access all around. Looking forward to the Summer Solstice... planned Installation Date.  Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 001 24 ft. Dome E Wall Portal 80.jpg

• George N, swalker and rowdy388 like this

#46 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 April 2018 - 10:11 AM

......... There are already two warehouse ladders in there, a 6-step and a 12-step. Woo Hoo!! 36 inches of enhanced-coating aperture is sure gona be nice..........  Tom

Tom,

I had the good luck to be set up next to a 36-inch 'ATM' scope (F/3.7 I think) at last year's Black Forest Star Party (and Ryan and his 20-inch too). The owner finally gave up on final figure of the mirror and had that done by a well-known premium mirror maker - but he did the rest of the work. The mechanical parts of the scope were designed with CAD and cut out with a water-jet machine. The owner/maker is a dairy farmer and keeps it in one of his out-buildings along with two other 20+ Dobs. The views were most impressive - especially with an Explore Scientific 30mm 100 degree eyepiece.

We have similar ladders to yours at Kopernik Observatory (Vestal, NY) where the scopes have massive swings of their eyepieces when slewed. The ladders are very safe and easy to move. They have been used by thousands of 'public' - from young kids to elderly - with no problems. You will be just fine with them.

#47 rowdy388

rowdy388

Gemini

• Loc: Saratoga County, NY

Posted 28 April 2018 - 11:10 AM

Enjoyed seeing your observatory pictures, Tom. I met you at your scope at NEAF. I wore the

Union blue Civil War cap. Wish we lived closer!

#48 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 28 April 2018 - 09:23 PM

I had the good luck to be set up next to a 36-inch 'ATM' scope (F/3.7 I think) at last year's Black Forest Star Party (and Ryan and his 20-inch too).

I believe the focal ratio of Kevin's 36" scope is f/3.5, George.

https://www.cloudyni...open/?p=8135867

There's a photo of the 20" f/3.3 New Moon Dob at https://www.cloudyni...open/?p=8135992

Dave Mitsky

• George N likes this

#49 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama & Gold Star Award Winner

• Moderators
  • Loc: montana

Posted 30 April 2018 - 11:43 AM

Ishtim, on 19 Apr 2018 - 9:48 PM, said:

"My first NEAF experience was a live stream of Tom T (I believe) perusing the floor and doing interviews with various vendors.  Maybe 10 yrs ago?  It brought the show "home" to those of us that couldn't/cant make it to NY for such a wonderful event.  Maybe someday it will happen again..."

"Sure but not by him"

Why not?

#50 rodney

rodney

Vendor - Explora Dome

• Vendors
  • Loc: Asbury, NJ

Posted 30 April 2018 - 02:36 PM

Why all the smoke and mirrors. No pun intended. Facts are, when certain people/person left the show. For whatever reason that was. Some companies felt it as a personal attack and no longer will associate with the RAC and NEAF. Years of loyalty down the toilet cause of politics within RAC. CN and Astronomics were staples of the show. Honestly, after the first few years without it was tough. Now things are 100% on track. 13 years of going and the show still produces awesome results. Worth the trip if not just to get your name out there.

Nobody, NO one is that busy to stop for a weekend. I understand the logistics of doing the show. However, that is the easy part. Putting your name out there. The Cloudy Nights live video streams. And the sheer fun we all had was awesome. 

Now it is run like a business to make money. That is OK in itself. The old days are gone. Dwelling on the past will not relive it.

Clear skies, 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics