•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Why doesn't Astronomics/Astro Tech come to NEAF?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#51 Bob Moore

Bob Moore

Vendor (NEAIC - North East Astro Imaging Conference)

• Vendors
  • Loc: New York

Posted 08 May 2018 - 07:14 PM

WoW! if people only knew what they were talking about.

• Starhawk likes this

#52 Pilot87178d

Pilot87178d

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Central Maryland, USA

Posted 23 May 2018 - 09:00 AM

If your wife has "problems"..... I will be glad to store that beautiful scope at my house - where of course you can use it!  smirk.gif

.....and PLEASE bring it to Cherry Springs Star Party!  cool.gif

Indeed, bring it to Cherry Springs!  Last year, we were set up next a group that had a 20", homemade Dob ("Grandpa ground the mirror himself") and the views were amazing.  Friendly folks that showed a well-refined workflow from 'scope through to processing.  One of the brightest stars at CSSP are the people, and the amazing gear.

Edited by Pilot87178d, 23 May 2018 - 09:00 AM.

#53 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 29 June 2018 - 07:56 AM

If that was the rule, our post counts would really drop

edj
  • Dave Mitsky, Jon Isaacs, zjc26138 and 4 others like this

#54 Starkid2u

Starkid2u

Apollo

• Loc: East Syracuse, NY

Posted 01 September 2018 - 09:04 AM

Not to mention that Explore Scientific, led by Scott Roberts and his beautiful Airstream trailer, make the trip to NEAF. He's coming from Arkansas. This guy not only comes for NEAF but he makes the star party circuit very year, from WSP all the way out to Okie-Tex  and a bunch in between. So I don't think it's too much to ask if Asronomics makes one trip to the NE, personally. But that's just me...

STARKID2U

#55 dghent

dghent

Mariner 2

• Vendors

Posted 02 September 2018 - 10:36 PM

Not to mention that Explore Scientific, led by Scott Roberts and his beautiful Airstream trailer, make the trip to NEAF. He's coming from Arkansas. This guy not only comes for NEAF but he makes the star party circuit very year, from WSP all the way out to Okie-Tex  and a bunch in between. So I don't think it's too much to ask if Asronomics makes one trip to the NE, personally. But that's just me...

The dude explained that he has a family life to tend to and the obligations involved in making the trip isn't in the cards. He doesn't need to justify his personal reasons to anyone. People here sound like retired empty-nesters who have nothing better to do with their time except project themselves.

• Dave Mitsky, Bob Moore, Skywatchr and 1 other like this

#56 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 08 September 2018 - 12:57 PM

Deploying to NEAF is all the way off in one of the corners of the country, so lots of planning is needed to get there, it's expensive to get there, expensive to be there, and limited sales potential since there are others more adapted to hitting shows with a more permanent mobile store concept, would seem to be the reasons.  You need to do some activity like that yourself sometime to understand how massive the workload is just to take a lot of equipment, go a long ways, keep it secure in transit, and get set up at the far end, then doing it all in reverse to see home again.  It isn't like you can flop in your bed when you get home, either, because there's everything coming back to return to its home and any rental equipment used to turn back in.  Heck, just setting up to go do an observing trip for yourself at a remote site at long distance is a massive amount of work- moving an astronomy store and setting up is dozens of times more work.

-Rich

Just seems strange. They have their own product line, run a major online store, and are intimately connected to the astronomy community through CN. Seems like an missed opportunity to sell some stuff, bolster their brand, and connect with their customers/readers.

Edited by Starhawk, 08 September 2018 - 01:02 PM.

• Unknownastron likes this

#57 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

Posted 08 September 2018 - 01:03 PM

Here here. 

-Rich

#58 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

Posted 08 September 2018 - 01:28 PM

On the other hand, anyone reading this thread who is in a position where living on the road to visit astronomy shows and star parties with a mobile store conceivable for them ought to give some thought.  Here are some general parameters which should be able to at least put a pencil to paper to ballpark the numbers:

Consider the size of your store and its objectives- a trailer may be large enough, but it's conceivable you would want it to be more like a bus or semi trailer sized operation.  This takes a lot of thought since it turns into your concept of how the store moves around and sets up.  So, for example, a semi could park, open doors, and unfold steps, but it is a big fuel thirsty vehicle which might not fit in many venues, so it may just be a way for a hand-setup set of tables and materials to get set up.  Airstreams are cute, but are kind of heavy, empty- that means more towing vehicle.

What are you going to be bringing?  Note, big scopes to show off may not lead sales, but are very visible.  As a rule, the best margin is on smaller things like eyepieces and accessories.  Volume and mass both count when you need to move stuff, and delicate is going to count, too.

Are you good friends with an existing store's crew where, for example, you might be "Astronomics Mobile" where various forms of simplification for handing everything from dealer agreements to inventory control are possible, or are you going to try to handle everything as a lone wolf?

Have you run a business before?

Have you ever moved a large amount of delicate equipment and set up a customer-friendly environment with it in a new location where retrieving anything you left behind is impossible?  This goes even beyond having been a roadie- I mean planned and managed the event.

Do you like traveling?

Do you really like people?  I don't mean are technically an extrovert- I mean you live for it.

Do you know what it costs to run the missions?  Do you know how much it costs at a stop to break even?  Do you know how to estimate sales for a show and have an idea of what could be the potential earnings to be able to decide to support it or not?

Anyone who is answering "No" or "What's that?" should learn more before taking this on.  At a minimum, someone who can't say, "Yes, I have done exactly that- for example.." to most of these ought to pause before criticizing someone else for determining this isn't for them.

If you're read this and if this business of sending an Astronomy store out on the road hasn't sounded like that big a deal to you, and reading this was deja vu and you're thinking over the things I left out, and it still doesn't sound like that big a deal, then you may have found a calling.

-Rich

Edited by Starhawk, 08 September 2018 - 01:29 PM.

• nicknacknock likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics