•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ATCO missed, ATCO bought

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Marc-Andre

Marc-Andre

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 28 March 2018 - 09:42 AM

On March 15, I posted this ATCO link only because it was GW's pick up only in Florida and too far from NH.  A buyer got it for $13.24 - NICE! 

After posting the link I checked the local Craig lists and discovered another ATCO which was listed only 2 hours earlier.  I jumped first, but not alone. !  Paid $225, but feel this was a good price.  While it was a 2 hour round trip, the seller worked nearby and we met only 20 minutes from here the next day. 

DSC02902.JPG

DSC02906.JPG

DSC02910.JPG

• Chuck Hards, terraclarke, rcwolpert and 11 others like this

#2 Marc-Andre

Marc-Andre

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 March 2018 - 09:45 AM

DSC02911.JPG

DSC02912.JPG

DSC02918.JPG

• deepwoods1, terraclarke, Bomber Bob and 2 others like this

#3 Marc-Andre

Marc-Andre

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 March 2018 - 09:50 AM

It was missing the instruction manual, dew shield, and one metal leg clamp piece (pictured) which should be easy to fabricate.

DSC02920.JPG

The clamp on the sun screen projection rod is also broken (pictured) but also easy to fabricate.

DSC02924.JPG

If anyone has one of these ATCO NO. 1254's, could you measure the dew shield for length, ID, and OD, and send me the measurements. I may have to fabricate on of these also, somehow.  Thanks

I will be happy also to pay for copying and mailing the instruction manual. I checked the "Classic Catalog and Manuals", but there is none for this ATCO.  Let me know if you have one you can copy or scan in.  Thanks in advance!

Does anyone know what is supposed to be stored in the little compartment between the EP compartment and the EP extension tube?

Copy of DSC02911.JPG

Edited by Marc-Andre, 28 March 2018 - 10:05 AM.

• Chuck Hards, leveye and Bomber Bob like this

#4 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 28 March 2018 - 09:53 AM

I've got a 60mm and 75mm ATCO.  You'll be happy with that telescope.  

I have a few leg-clamp pad reproductions, will send you one for just the postage.  PM the dimensions of the original, hole spacing, and your mailing address if interested.  There are two or three different sizes of those clamping pads.

I could dig mine out, if I knew which room it was in and had a few hours to kill.  :lol:

• Marc-Andre, Bomber Bob and jcruse64 like this

#5 shredder1656

shredder1656

Viking 1

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 28 March 2018 - 09:53 AM

Awesome! And, congratulations. I saw the same Atco on SGW. Bummer that neither of us could bid, but I'm better off without it. LoL

Good luck!
  • Marc-Andre likes this

#6 Allanbarth1

Allanbarth1

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Central New Jersey

Posted 28 March 2018 - 09:55 AM

Nice find. Good to see that you'll be able to continue the scopes life without major surgery. 

Congratulations on a really nice find and rescue.

• Marc-Andre likes this

#7 starman876

starman876

Hubble

• Loc: VA

Posted 28 March 2018 - 10:09 AM

You will love the scope. Great find

• Marc-Andre likes this

#8 walter a

walter a

Ranger 4

• Loc: Prawda Manitoba Canada

Posted 28 March 2018 - 10:41 AM

Nice find, perhaps a spot for a poro prism.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0046 (640x480) (640x480).jpg

• Marc-Andre likes this

#9 leveye

leveye

Aurora

• Loc: Central Oregon Coast

Posted 28 March 2018 - 10:50 AM

Very cool scope. Congrats and enjoy that puppy!

Edited by leveye, 28 March 2018 - 10:51 AM.

• Marc-Andre likes this

#10 Marc-Andre

Marc-Andre

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 March 2018 - 10:58 AM

I've got a 60mm and 75mm ATCO.  You'll be happy with that telescope.  

I have a few leg-clamp pad reproductions, will send you one for just the postage.  PM the dimensions of the original, hole spacing, and your mailing address if interested.  There are two or three different sizes of those clamping pads.

I could dig mine out, if I knew which room it was in and had a few hours to kill.  lol.gif

PM sent.

#11 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators

Posted 28 March 2018 - 11:13 AM

Replied.

#12 Marc-Andre

Marc-Andre

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 March 2018 - 11:45 AM

thanks Walter.  My  poro prism and diagonal don't fit in that space.  The poro prism has a designated felt lined block with tie down ribbon. Mine also has blocking you don't have that secures a strap to the bottom of the box for securing the tripod.  It also confines the leg spacer.  Here's a picture.

Picture2.png

• Bomber Bob likes this

#13 Marc-Andre

Marc-Andre

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 March 2018 - 11:53 AM

I'm happy to report that my Borg 1-1/4"  EP adapter threads onto the focus tube and the EP extension tube in place of the .965" EP adapter.

#14 walter a

walter a

Ranger 4

• Loc: Prawda Manitoba Canada

Posted 28 March 2018 - 01:53 PM

Well it was just a thought.

• Marc-Andre likes this

#15 CharlieB

CharlieB

Soyuz

• Loc: Southern NH

Posted 28 March 2018 - 02:10 PM

Pretty sure that's where the Porro prism goes - fits perfectly.  This is a 60x910 Tasco case.

Charlie

Attached Thumbnails

• PORRO.jpg

Edited by CharlieB, 28 March 2018 - 02:11 PM.

• Marc-Andre, TOM KIEHL and Bomber Bob like this

#16 CharlieB

CharlieB

Soyuz

• Loc: Southern NH

Posted 28 March 2018 - 02:14 PM

I think the visual back & extension might go where you have the Porro prism.  Just a guess...

Charlie

• Marc-Andre and Bomber Bob like this

#17 Marc-Andre

Marc-Andre

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 March 2018 - 02:46 PM

Pretty sure that's where the Porro prism goes - fits perfectly.  This is a 60x910 Tasco case.

Charlie

I'm thinking both of you are right with a caveat.  The diagram in the cabinet cover shows the poro prism and EP extension/adapter stored where I placed them.  The diameter of the poro prism, which screws onto the focus tube, is 2.5" while the size of the compartment is 2.25" x 2.25".  It may be the cabinet supplier sold cabinets to multiple telescope makers of "standard" design, and individual telescope makers made changes. Both the poro prism blocking and the tripod tie down I picture in post #12 seem to be made of a different wood than the rest of the wood blocking.  Or, the cabinet maker made a mistake on the size of the compartment, and the other blocking was the easy fix. 

Edited by Marc-Andre, 28 March 2018 - 02:55 PM.

• walter a likes this

#18 apfever

apfever

Skylab

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 28 March 2018 - 03:15 PM

The porro will go in the box that has that deep cut for the eyepiece collar to rest in, facing into the box.

Here's mine, ATCO 80mm F15 f=1200mm. Mine is at the far end in the corner of the box, with the tie downs. The porro is 2.5" diameter as well and shore ain't goin in a 2.25" box. There is a long deep rounded end groove in the side of the porro compartment and the eyepiece collar is in it. That help?
It's also nice to have those original finish extension tubes too.

My 60mm f=910 ATCO porro is only 2" in diameter and will fit a 2.25" compartment.

Attached Thumbnails

• P3280001.JPG

Edited by apfever, 28 March 2018 - 05:56 PM.

• Marc-Andre, Bomber Bob, walter a and 1 other like this

#19 Marc-Andre

Marc-Andre

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 April 2018 - 07:55 PM

It was missing the instruction manual, dew shield, and one metal leg clamp piece (pictured) which should be easy to fabricate.

attachicon.gif DSC02920.JPG

If anyone has one of these ATCO NO. 1254's, could you measure the dew shield for length, ID, and OD, and send me the measurements. I may have to fabricate on of these also, somehow.  Thanks

I will be happy also to pay for copying and mailing the instruction manual. I checked the "Classic Catalog and Manuals", but there is none for this ATCO.  Let me know if you have one you can copy or scan in.  Thanks in advance! 

Update;  thanks to Chuck, I now have three new leg pads with screws.

I posted a want ad, but I'm still looking for measurements of a matching dew shield, and a photo copy or PDF of the instruction manual.

Thanks,

• Chuck Hards likes this

#20 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Voyager 1

• Loc: The Deep South, USA

Posted 11 April 2018 - 08:56 PM

Congratulations!!  Very nice!

I don't see a maker's mark on the label... Is there one on the focuser's pinion cover?

#21 Marc-Andre

Marc-Andre

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 April 2018 - 09:33 PM

Congratulations!!  Very nice!

I don't see a maker's mark on the label... Is there one on the focuser's pinion cover?

Thanks, nothing on the pinion cover, but the objective is labeled "Hiyokkor"?

Edited by Marc-Andre, 11 April 2018 - 09:35 PM.

#22 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators

Posted 12 April 2018 - 10:44 AM

If I can dig mine out of storage, I'll see if my machinist buddy can turn a reproduction dew cap for it.  Might have to hunt down some aluminum pipe stock though.

• Marc-Andre likes this

#23 Marc-Andre

Marc-Andre

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 April 2018 - 08:37 PM

If I can dig mine out of storage, I'll see if my machinist buddy can turn a reproduction dew cap for it.  Might have to hunt down some aluminum pipe stock though.

Thank you Chuck. 

I have measured the cell circumference at the point of attachment as 12-5/16", which gives me a diameter (ID) for the tube at 3.92".  I've also sourced Al tubing which has an OD of 4" in 14 and 16 gage.  Even the 16 gage has a ID that is too small by 0.04".  I'm wondering how easy it would be to expand the end of 4" tube to a depth of 1" to fit.  My 2nd thought is to use a 4 " tube as a form to make a fiberglass or carbon fiber tube. It would be slightly oversized, but a thin inside layer of felt could allow a snug fit without scratching the cell.

#24 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators

Posted 12 April 2018 - 09:15 PM

Marc, what I did on the Swift 831 reproduction dew cap was to have it machined from a length of 1/4" wall pipe.  Thin wall stock is just too hard to thread on a lathe, even with a steady-rest, IMO.  The thick wall lets you chuck it securely enough to first machine the ID and threaded end, then the OD.  It's then a simple matter to part it off at the correct length.  The extra wall thickness comes off the ID quickly, you just need a long tool to reach down there. This is too much of a job for my mini lathe and my threading skills, so I'd prevail upon my master machinist friend to do this one.  He can get it done in a weekend, and I'm just swamped right now.

I'll see if I can find a piece of pipe among my local home machinist's group (most are professional machinists) and if not see what's for sale on the scrap market.  I'm assuming you'd rather have a factory identical dewacp. The scrap from the Swift is 4" OD, so we just missed being able to use that.  

It would be a simple matter to make a composite tube though, but you'd need to dissolve the mandrel with a nasty chemical to remove it, if using aluminum.  Easier to use a cardboard form, which can just be peeled-off the inside post-forming.

#25 apfever

apfever

Skylab

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 12 April 2018 - 10:04 PM

dew shield is threaded? mine is press fit.
and you look pale chuck

Edited by apfever, 12 April 2018 - 10:06 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics