•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ATCO missed, ATCO bought

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 Marc-Andre

Marc-Andre

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 12 April 2018 - 10:47 PM

There no threads on my lens cell, so my dew shield is press fit also. 

Thank you for the offer Chuck.  I think I'm set on the dimensions after taking a couple measurements of my cell and storage space in the case.  I'd like to try a couple ideas to develop some skills before having a replacement machined.  In the short time though I've got to travel and make repairs at my dad's place.  

• Chuck Hards likes this

#27 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 13 April 2018 - 07:25 AM

I'll keep my eyes open for some thin-wall stock for a slip-on dew shield, in the meantime.  

• Marc-Andre likes this

#28 Marc-Andre

Marc-Andre

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 09 July 2018 - 02:19 PM

I found a source for 16 gage 4" OD aluminum tube.  While I would have liked 4" ID so it would fit, that was not to be found.  So, I decided to use two pieces of the 4" OD tube.  One would be split and glued to the other with JB-weld with 1" extending beyond the inner tube to fit over the lens cell.  I also had to fill the gap in the outer tube with another piece cut to fit.

DSC02954.JPG

DSC02959.JPG

DSC02960.JPG

DSC02961.JPG

DSC02963.JPG

Edited by Marc-Andre, 09 July 2018 - 02:31 PM.

• Kasmos and jcruse64 like this

#29 Marc-Andre

Marc-Andre

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 09 July 2018 - 02:30 PM

Then I made a profile of the transition using a plastic gift card (used up) to build a taper from the larger to smaller OD and filled the space with JB-weld and fine detail with auto glazing putty.  After final sanding it received self-etching primer, flat black paint in the shield, GM white auto paint, and protective clear finish on the outside.  The slip fit joint received a layer of thin self adhesive Velcro pile. It wasn't inexpensive, but I gained some skills and I'm pleased with the results.

DSC02974.JPG

DSC02986.JPG

DSC02994.JPG

Edited by Marc-Andre, 09 July 2018 - 02:32 PM.

• deSitter, CharlieB, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics