•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sammy Hagar's Coulter Odyssey 'Compact' 10.1" f4.5 Telescope?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Duncan

Tom Duncan

Apollo

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Chico, CA

Posted 28 March 2018 - 01:28 PM

I picked this up over the weekend, a very nice early Coulter Odyssey "Compact", the 10.1" f4.5 DOB. In a casual conversation with the owner she mentioned here late husband told her he had traded for it from the rock singer Sammy Hagar in the mid-1980s. This was before she met him so she has no first-hand knowledge of the trade. 

I didn't think much of it, lots of people have undocumented stories about who owned what but I decided to do a little research to see if there was any substance to the claim. Turns out Sammy was 'visited by aliens from the ninth dimension' and that spurred his interest in astronomy, amongst other extraterrestrial stuff, and in a published interview with Guitar World he is quoted as saying "It (the alien visitation) sent me on a course of curiosity. I bought a telescope, and I started reading UFO books, and I just got into the whole thing."

Anyone corroborate this or seen a photo of Sammy with a red/brown Coulter? I did a Google Image search on "Sammy Hagar telescope" but came up empty. 

Tom Duncan 

PS: The scope is in incredible condition, looks like it's just a few years old rather than 30+, mirrors are fine. Has the strap system and solid bottom to the rocker box to hold the mirror rather than the later open air cell. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 20180327_191318T.jpg

Edited by Tom Duncan, 28 March 2018 - 02:35 PM.

• zjc26138, turtle86, TOM KIEHL and 7 others like this

#2 JakeJ

JakeJ

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 28 March 2018 - 01:43 PM

The Red Rocker used a Red Rocker Box? 

Who woulda thunk it?

• burb scope, Dartguy, bbqediguana and 2 others like this

#3 jcruse64

jcruse64

Viking 1

• Loc: Paducah, KY USA

Posted 28 March 2018 - 02:30 PM

Don't doubt that Sammy believes what he said; tequila makes one see a lot of things...

That is a cool scope, with a cool story to go with it.

• bremms, Augustus and nashvillebill like this

#4 turtle86

turtle86

Mr. Coffee

Posted 28 March 2018 - 02:33 PM

Kinda hard to picture Sammy Haggar or David Lee Roth collimating a Dob, but I’ve heard stranger things...  :grin:

• Paul Hyndman, bbqediguana and Augustus like this

#5 Tom Duncan

Tom Duncan

Apollo

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 28 March 2018 - 02:55 PM

I joined Sammy's fan club website and have asked on the forum if there is any truth to the claim. 

Tom 

• JakeJ, zjc26138, leveye and 2 others like this

#6 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• Loc: GA

Posted 28 March 2018 - 04:38 PM

That Sammy sure is a cheapskate cool.gif

• Cliff C likes this

#7 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 28 March 2018 - 05:06 PM

I've watched Sammy's show on the television, I wonder if its possible

to watch his show and find a way to contact him or a representative to

relay a message to him through the programs credits.

I was really into UFO's too, I just wanted a engine or some means of

propulsion, and me and my friends felt we could handle building a ship.

We thought we would go visiting and maybe bring home some exotic

metals or end starvation on earth or something neat like that.

Then we got interested in astronomy and we were hit with the cold facts

that there really aren't any UFO's or life at least locally so our plans fissiled

out. 

The same thing may have happened to Mr. Hagar, astronomy and the

telescope, and science, there are no aliens from the ninth dimension.

Robert

Edited by actionhac, 28 March 2018 - 05:35 PM.

• Terra Nova, Augustus and Defenderslideguitar like this

#8 Littlegreenman

Littlegreenman

Aurora

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 28 March 2018 - 05:14 PM

A while back I heard an interview with David Lee Roth. Also an interview by a fellow psychologist with Timothy Leary. In a few minutes in the interviews you realized that these were 2 examples famous who people have a public persona as wild clowns that they run with and exaggerate. It helped make both of them rich. My guess is the public persona of those two was part of who they are, but they were also both very aware and very smart about other things.

Anyone want some brown M & Ms?

https://www.google.c...ent=firefox-b-1

• Terra Nova, Augustus, jcruse64 and 1 other like this

#9 nashvillebill

nashvillebill

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Phoenix

Posted 28 March 2018 - 05:22 PM

Interesting story I read some years back when Van Halen was going to reunite with both Sammy Hagar and David Lee Roth.  The tour was going to kick off with some public relations event at a fancy club.  "Diamond Dave" showed up in a limo dressed in glitter with an entourage.  Sammy pulled up in an old open-top convertible all by himself, dressed in jeans and a Tshirt.

• Augustus likes this

#10 jcruse64

jcruse64

Viking 1

Posted 28 March 2018 - 05:59 PM

Dave and Sammy teamed up for a tour together several years ago, not long after the first brief flirt of VH reuniting with Diamond Dave and the release of 2 new songs with DD doing vocals. Their tour together did not make it through the summer, with the clash of egos (He's not called Diamond Dave for nothing).

Hope this DOES turn out to be Sammy's.

• Augustus likes this

#11 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• Loc: Stamford, Connecticut

Posted 28 March 2018 - 06:12 PM

Is it really red under some dust/fading or is it actually that brownish color? Might be one of the rare interim "brown tube" Odysseys.

Edited by Augustus, 28 March 2018 - 06:13 PM.

#12 Tom Duncan

Tom Duncan

Apollo

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 28 March 2018 - 07:07 PM

In real life it looks reddish brown, which isn't helping. It definitely is not the bold red Coulter used in later scopes but it doesn't look fully brown either. Not really sure what color it is. There is some dust embedded in the rocker box and base, the covering of the Sonotube is fairly smooth and doesn't hold dust the way the chipboard surface of the rocker box and base do. 

What is the history of the color of the Odysseys? I have seen a lot of blue ones and red ones, not sure if I've ever seen a brown one. A Google Image search comes up with just two out of several hundred images. 

There's an old CN ad here for one that is built the way mine is, trap door for the mirror, all brown. 

There is no mirror cell as such, the mirror rests directly on the ends of the three collimation bolts, albeit with a plastic bumper on the end of the bolt. So it's a three-point support, which seems like not enough to me. 

Tom 

#13 Exnihilo

Exnihilo

Apollo

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 28 March 2018 - 07:41 PM

I can’t say if this increases or decreases my respect for Sammy.

• Augustus likes this

#14 DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 28 March 2018 - 08:22 PM

Then we got interested in astronomy and we were hit with the cold facts

that there really aren't any UFO's or life at least locally so our plans fissiled

out. 

Robert

Oh sure, next you're going to say that there's no such thing as the Easter Bunny!  wink.gif

• clamchip, TOM KIEHL and Augustus like this

#15 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

Posted 28 March 2018 - 08:45 PM

It is a rare transitional brown tube.

That part of Coulter Odyssey history is pretty cloudy, there are no ads, no information

on the brown tubes.

The boxy early models have very good mirrors and nice focusers. At that time Coulter

made excellent mirrors for ATM also.

The red tubes are okay, but the mirrors got thinfrown.gif  and the nice focuser turned into a

pile of sink drain fittingstongue2.gif  but I still think they are a pretty cool light bucket, just not as

nice as the square box first Odyssey.

Robert

• Augustus likes this

#16 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 March 2018 - 09:48 PM

Kinda hard to picture Sammy Haggar or David Lee Roth collimating a Dob, but I’ve heard stranger things...  grin.gif

With  enough Cabo Wabo Anejo ,  The most Perfect collimation  would still not be enough to make a difference .  drinkspit.gif  crazyeyes.gif   coolnod.gif

• rolo, DreamWeaver, bbqediguana and 2 others like this

#17 jcruse64

jcruse64

Viking 1

Posted 29 March 2018 - 09:12 AM

With  enough Cabo Wabo Anejo ,  The most Perfect collimation  would still not be enough to make a difference .  drinkspit.gif  crazyeyes.gif   coolnod.gif

Tom, this is advanced stuff for advanced astronomers; collimating the observer, instead of collimating the scope. Sammy has his own brand of ethanol; it's obvious that he is an advanced astronomer  lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

• Senex Bibax likes this

#18 Tom Duncan

Tom Duncan

Apollo

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 29 March 2018 - 11:12 AM

The mirror is 1-1/18" thick at the edge, is that considered 'full thickness' for a 10.1"?

#19 JakeJ

JakeJ

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 29 March 2018 - 11:23 AM

The boxy early models have very good mirrors and nice focusers. At that time Coulter

made excellent mirrors for ATM also.

I think the biggest problem with them at that time was the (lack of) a decent mirror cell.

A buddy of mine had one of the old blue ones that showed quite a bit of astigmatism. 

He added a proper cell which greatly improved the images and made it quite enjoyable to use.

• Augustus likes this

#20 Dartguy

Dartguy

Apollo

• Loc: Louisville

Posted 29 March 2018 - 12:27 PM

I always loved Van Halen, and solo Hagar.  I hated Van Hagar.  Then I read Sammy's autobiography and lost all respect for the Van Halen brothers.

I gained a new respect for Hagar, seems like a pretty down to earth guy considering all his wealth and fame.

As to being cheap, he sure can afford anything he wants.  The book mentioned that he invented (or atleast, popularized) the mountain bike and made many millions off of that idea in the 80's to 90's.

ps. there is a scope owned by Jerry Reed around here somewhere, as well.

Edited by Dartguy, 29 March 2018 - 12:28 PM.

• Littlegreenman, Augustus and jcruse64 like this

#21 Jason D

Jason D

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: California

Posted 29 March 2018 - 01:05 PM

Things sure have come a long way since Hagar's 80's. "55mph" is no longer the maximum legal limit wink.gif

• Augustus likes this

#22 Tom Duncan

Tom Duncan

Apollo

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 29 March 2018 - 02:23 PM

Regarding JakeJ's comment about the cell I can believe it. In my case the mirror is being supported vertically by three pinpoint bolts (laterally by the strap), seems like a bad idea to me. 

I haven't had the chance to get this out under the stars yet, I'll report back on it when I do. 

Tom 

#23 Littlegreenman

Littlegreenman

Aurora

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 29 March 2018 - 04:02 PM

I always loved Van Halen, and solo Hagar.  I hated Van Hagar.  Then I read Sammy's autobiography and lost all respect for the Van Halen brothers.

I gained a new respect for Hagar, seems like a pretty down to earth guy considering all his wealth and fame.

As to being cheap, he sure can afford anything he wants.  The book mentioned that he invented (or atleast, popularized) the mountain bike and made many millions off of that idea in the 80's to 90's.

ps. there is a scope owned by Jerry Reed around here somewhere, as well.

I worked in a bicycle factory in 1973-4. Homemade mountain bikes were around, and had been around for a few years.  The 60's era Schwinn Stingray was one ancestor, not to mentioned chopped Hogs (Harley Davidsons).  And off road motorbikes of all ilks. People were already holding mountain bike races in the Santa Monica Mountains. Very grassroots.

But then, musicians have been stealing music and being stolen from since Og the Caveman beat a stick on a rock. A million years later a big black rectangle appeared and taught Ooog, his great x 10-47th power decendate, to hit tapirs and skulls with a stick. Oh, my point is that Hagar, as a musician, he's part of that nebulous tribe that is nebulous about who owns what.

One of my friends had a 15 year old Eddie Van Halen hanging around him, stealing his guitar licks, until he, my friend, put a stop to that. I stumbled on Van Halen playing in a boogie bar in Pasadena, CA circa 1977...

No, I don't remember much. It was a bar.

Ah, memories... wish I could.

Edited by Littlegreenman, 29 March 2018 - 08:16 PM.

• Dartguy and Defenderslideguitar like this

#24 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

Posted 29 March 2018 - 04:27 PM

Here's the cell for the 17.5" blue tube, So the 10" is different? maybe its missing something, the

pads, or maybe the smaller models didn't have the flotation cell.

Mirror is supported by the sling and it's a 9-point flotation cell, the sling is a good idea and still used 

today. Quite a few have found success using bubble wrap in a cell for mirror support, the 1" bubbles

so your mirror is floating on air.

I marked with a red arrow the factory felt index dot, and you would have another one of these

on the edge of the mirror, so you could put the mirror back the way it was found, to cut down on

collimation time when the scope is transported, etc.

Robert

post-50896-0-74739600-1407703633_thumb.jpg

post-50896-0-38481100-1407704727_thumb.jpg

• bbqediguana likes this

#25 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

Posted 29 March 2018 - 04:37 PM

Here's a photo of my 8" brown tube.

You can see the brown carried on into the next generation Odyssey without the box, which became the red tube.

Mine still has the thicker mirror, the blue tube were not full-thickness but thicker than the red tube, and the rack

and pinion focuser, left over from the blue tube, red tubes got the sink drain focuser.

post-50896-0-09775900-1425762763_thumb.jpg

• bbqediguana and Augustus like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics