•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sammy Hagar's Coulter Odyssey 'Compact' 10.1" f4.5 Telescope?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#26 Tom Duncan

Tom Duncan

Apollo

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Chico, CA

Posted 29 March 2018 - 06:14 PM

Ah, I bet mine is missing the pads between the three adjustment screws and the back of the mirror. There's about 1/4" between the top of the mirror and the underside of the two metal retaining clips which would be explained by the missing pads. Ill make some pads.

The missing pads might be the reason the scope is in such good condition...it didn't work very well so it h

just got put away.

There are two felt pads, one on the mirror and one on the floor, I assumed they were alignment devices.

Tom

#27 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 29 March 2018 - 08:50 PM

Here's a full blown red tube, meet Stumpy. Stumpy is no longer in my possession

but he's such a cute feller I'm sure he's okay out there in the world. 

Stumpy has been upgraded to a Criterion focuser by the previous owner and I've

included a photo of the stock red tube 'sink drain focuser' which works just fine, no

need to change it when you come right down to it!

You know, I really love these Odyssey's, they are so much fun!

Robert

post-50896-14073918906667_thumb.jpg

post-50896-14073918905793_thumb.jpg

• Augustus likes this

#28 Tom Duncan

Tom Duncan

Apollo

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 29 March 2018 - 09:56 PM

Wow, I was wondering what was meant by "sink drain focuser"...no more apt description can I imagine. 

#29 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Under the Blue Moon of Kentucky

Posted 30 March 2018 - 10:54 AM

Wow! Did you Jump when you first saw it? wink.gif

http://youtu.be/XLbj8CLwMWM

Edited by terraclarke, 30 March 2018 - 02:44 PM.

• TOM KIEHL likes this

#30 Tom Duncan

Tom Duncan

Apollo

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 30 March 2018 - 11:11 AM

My initial thought when I saw the Coulter in the dark garage was "Oh great, here's another one that I have to take the mirror out of as it's the only piece worth saving", as is usually the case with old Coulters. However once I got it outside I could see it was in great condition and the color was brown rather than red (and certainly not blue) which I had not seen before. Now after this discussion there's no way I'm going to take the mirror out and toss the chassis, it's way too nice and seemingly rare. 

So I'll need to make pads for the mirror support, play with it for a while and then find it a new home. I doubt it will be easy to find a home for it though, albeit uncommon in both version and condition not exactly in high demand. And I don't want to sell it to someone that's just going to take out the mirror and toss the rest if I can help it. 

Edited by Tom Duncan, 30 March 2018 - 07:47 PM.

• Augustus likes this

#31 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 30 March 2018 - 08:20 PM

Here's a great site with a wealth of information and history on the Coulter Odyssey:

http://www.askmister...ce.com/coulter/

Robert 

• DreamWeaver and Gil V like this

#32 brian dewelles

brian dewelles

Lift Off

• Vendors
  • Loc: Wickenburg AZ.

Posted 25 June 2020 - 09:08 PM

In the July 75 issue of sky and telescope their is a classified ad in sky gazers exchange for sale  "OPTICA REFRACTOR the finest 4" available all accesories included $400.00 Sammy Hagar" gives a mill valley address and a phone number also. I think optica bc sold some good quality japanese  products at that time so looks like he was really into the hobby.

• Terra Nova likes this

#33 KenYule

KenYule

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 June 2020 - 10:46 PM

Hello Mr. Duncan. I’ve been a Sammy fan for decades, but I actually wanted to ask you about something unrelated that you asked about a few years ago. I saw your inquiry about Orien Ernest and his telescopes. You asked for pics? Do you still want some? He was my grandfather and I can send you some.
Anyway. I don’t know about Sammy’s telescope, but I can tell you that he (Sammy) claims that he was visited by aliens when he was young. Maybe he was looking for them.

#34 Tom Duncan

Tom Duncan

Apollo

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 29 June 2020 - 10:56 AM

Hello Ken, 

As I sold the scope years ago and I don't have contact info for the buyer I would no longer find information on Orien Ernest useful. But thanks for the offer. 

Tom 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics