•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Rush Limbaugh - Laughs at Light Pollution

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
46 replies to this topic

#26 Ron359

Ron359

Apollo

• Loc: -105 +39

Posted 29 March 2018 - 10:33 PM

I think Rush put us in with the tree hugger crowd by mistake.  No one told him WHY LP is bad for our hobby. He thought or was not told the reason and thought it was just because. Watch, he will restate his comments on this.

Astronomers would be and should be lucky to lumped in with the "Tree huggers" and the medical community  They are the only large groups who have any hope of making a dent in the relentless growth of LP.  Astronomers (amateurs and pros) are too introverted and astronomy too esoteric an issue to generate the public-political support to make much difference.  The fact that its a science is another strike against 'us' when the RWNs are swinging their big (mouth) sticks of the current anti-science, $$$$ driven ignorance.  

Edited by Ron359, 29 March 2018 - 10:36 PM.

#27 WoodyEnd

WoodyEnd

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 29 March 2018 - 10:48 PM

Arrogant, know it all, condescending name callers will certainly win over the public on most any issue don't you think? gramps.gif

Hearts and minds or make enemies?

#28 earlyriser

earlyriser

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Cincinnati

Posted 30 March 2018 - 03:42 AM

Two thoughts.

Lighting codes basically tell people not to shine light into the sky, and not to shine light at their neighbors. This is really just common courtesy. Because they emit light in all directions, string lights do both of these things. Thus, the only question is whether a 15 lumen per light limit is unreasonable. That I don't know - maybe it is unreasonably low. But if the string lights are being relied upon for patrons to able to read the menu, then they really aren't being used just as accent lights.

My other thought is that if Rush Limbaugh wants to light up his beach property, that's one thing. But he doesn't own the beach next to his house - that's public land. So he shouldn't be shining lights on it, ever. Beach home owners should be considerate of others who want to enjoy this public resource, and the glare of poorly aimed floodlights can quickly spoil the enjoyment of an evening walk down a beach.

Edited by earlyriser, 30 March 2018 - 03:42 AM.

#29 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: Pampanga, PI

Posted 30 March 2018 - 05:21 AM

Rush once mentioned how owls are adapting by nesting in the laugh launch tower of the space shuttle. (I got a chuckle out of that.) 

Edited by Asbytec, 30 March 2018 - 05:21 AM.

#30 ascii

ascii

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Orlando, FL, USA Approximately 28.5ºN,81.5ºW

Posted 30 March 2018 - 05:36 AM

I did a bit of searching and couldn’t find any full-cutoff string lights.  I would think a carefully crafted modification in the lighting ordinance to allow something like the string lights linked below might be a good compromise.  The changes would need to make sure that the lights aren’t overly bright and limit the amount of light emitted through the shades.

While these aren’t full-cutoff, the shades make them worlds better than your typical string lights.

https://www.lampsplu...hts__92695.html

Unfortunately, we humans have the same faulty wiring in our brains as insects.  We are atracted to dangerous light sources.

https://youtu.be/TTUQyEr-sg0

#31 gfamily

gfamily

Viking 1

• Loc: North Cheshire, UK

Posted 30 March 2018 - 07:05 AM

The point is that, for restaurants, lights should be on the boundary and shining in to the dining area, rather than on the inside shining out.

#32 Chucky

Chucky

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 30 March 2018 - 07:36 AM

Strategically placed low level mushroom lights coupled with some small low powered table candles wouldn't seem all that difficult.  Then ditch the omni-directional string lights and move on to more pressing issues......like serving good food and drinks.

Edited by Chucky, 30 March 2018 - 07:38 AM.

#33 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern Tier NY

Posted 30 March 2018 - 08:37 AM

Two thoughts.

Lighting codes basically tell people not to shine light into the sky, and not to shine light at their neighbors. This is really just common courtesy. Because they emit light in all directions, string lights do both of these things. Thus, the only question is whether a 15 lumen per light limit is unreasonable. That I don't know - maybe it is unreasonably low. But if the string lights are being relied upon for patrons to able to read the menu, then they really aren't being used just as accent lights.

My other thought is that if Rush Limbaugh wants to light up his beach property, that's one thing. But he doesn't own the beach next to his house - that's public land. So he shouldn't be shining lights on it, ever. Beach home owners should be considerate of others who want to enjoy this public resource, and the glare of poorly aimed floodlights can quickly spoil the enjoyment of an evening walk down a beach.

Unless you have taken high doses of oxy from your house keeper then they look awesome.

Never listen to the visual acuity of someone high on drugs.

#34 Ed D

Ed D

Aurora

• Loc: Sunny South Florida

Posted 30 March 2018 - 08:39 AM

I always cringe when he talks about anything Science related, he must have flunked 10th grade science class. 

10th grade?  You give him that much credit?

Ed D

#35 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern Tier NY

Posted 30 March 2018 - 08:40 AM

Rush once mentioned how owls are adapting by nesting in the laugh launch tower of the space shuttle. (I got a chuckle out of that.) 

I think he makes things up as he goes along. 

#36 keithlt

keithlt

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Arizona©

Posted 30 March 2018 - 08:41 AM

maybe light pollution should have a stronger name and social stigma that keep it separate from any other political divisional views.

like Invasive night stealer, Sky Robbing.

#37 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 30 March 2018 - 08:51 AM

If more people only looked up, once in a while, and became amazed at the beauty of our own galaxy in the same way we appreciate the Grand Canyon or Mt Fuji. 

#38 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 30 March 2018 - 10:12 AM

Awww, this makes me sad. We are not asking society to go back to the stone ages, but instead to come into the 21st century with modern, effective lighting, and efficient lighting can be very pro-business. My community is in the process of replacing their street lighting and have instituted new guidelines for commercial lighting. Our new street lights are full cut-off LEDs that effectively illuminate the roadway, but the direct lighting stops at the curb. What's really nice is that as you are driving at night you are not blinded by the glare of the lights down the street, you can actually see the street and traffic ahead. Commercial lighting is also full cut-off and effectively provides architectural illumination without wastefully throwing light up into the sky or glaring into your eyes. This lighting is actually far more efficient as it is visually very attractive at night and you can actually see what the business is trying to show without being blinded by the harsh glare of unshielded lights. The efficient street lighting also helps to make  architectural illumination more effective since you are not blinded by the glare of nearby street lights. Everybody wins; efficient illumination for the public and businesses with lower operating costs. Sounds pro-business to me.

Education may be slow at times, but it is our best hope.

#39 Don Alvarez

Don Alvarez

Explorer 1

Posted 30 March 2018 - 10:21 AM

Its a very ignorant article, as are the comments surrounding it on Facebook. 

Light pollution/light trespass are very real, and just as intrusive as noise or even air pollution.

Thanks for pointing this out. I missed it yesterday.

#40 Ron359

Ron359

Apollo

• Loc: -105 +39

Posted 30 March 2018 - 11:03 AM

If more people only looked up, once in a while, and became amazed at the beauty of our own galaxy in the same way we appreciate the Grand Canyon or Mt Fuji. 

Thats a good concept for something most people can't even see every day.   But even today there are those wanting to mine, develop and build in the Grand Canyon.  And they have plenty of supporters and loud mouths on radio & TV.  

#41 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 30 March 2018 - 11:21 AM

Yea, send them to mine asteroids. Out in space where the view should get their attention.

Wish I could do it and bring my grab and go. No one can hear me scream :)

Edited by Asbytec, 30 March 2018 - 11:23 AM.

#42 CharlesC

CharlesC

Gemini

• ****-
  • Loc: Atlanta, GA

Posted 30 March 2018 - 11:38 AM

Someone should put up LED billboards around his property and see if he changes his tune.

#43 WoodyEnd

WoodyEnd

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 30 March 2018 - 11:58 AM

maybe light pollution should have a stronger name and social stigma that keep it separate from any other political divisional views.

like Invasive night stealer, Sky Robbing.

Try that one on your neighbor.

#44 Steeveaux

Steeveaux

Vostok 1

• Loc: Wichita, KS

Posted 30 March 2018 - 12:11 PM

If I have to take sides between a club owner providing patio lighting for paying customers and some zealous bureaucrats, I'll stand with the club owners every time.

#45 WoodyEnd

WoodyEnd

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 30 March 2018 - 12:20 PM

I don't think this level of hostility has anything to do with light pollution.  Time to close this one.

#46 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Cosmos

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 30 March 2018 - 12:56 PM

>>>>>>>> Folks, please remember the Terms of Service; Be respectful of everyone,

Yeah, this ain't the Rush Limbaugh show.

Alex

#47 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators
  • Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 30 March 2018 - 01:13 PM

This thread is closed.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics