•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sharpcap offers new licenses (5 year & Lifetime)

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#26 Rydeen 98

Rydeen 98

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 May 2019 - 10:01 AM

I guess I missed the boat on the lifetime license which I would have happily paid for.  What a shame.  Well, as awesome as the sharpcap software seems to be (for polar alignment anyway) from all the videos I've seen, I'm not inclined to pay a subscription fee for the singular tool I'm interested in (Polar Alignment).  Maybe I'll invest in a Polemaster or just keep struggling on with phd2's polar alignment routine (time consuming but it works).  Thanks for finding out this information though.

#27 OleCuss

OleCuss

Vanguard

Posted 06 May 2019 - 10:19 AM

Before giving up on the Sharp Cap idea for polar alignment I'd check and see if you really wouldn't find it worthwhile.

I've got the lifetime license so I don't know how the yearly subscription works, but I'm betting that you pay your money, download the software and for the next year you get all the updates.  But if all you want/need is that polar alignment then if you don't pay anything in the next 5-10 years I'm guessing you can still use the old version and keep on using that polar alignment routine.

I'd be betting on operating system changes or something breaking the functionality every 5-10 years so eventually you'd end up paying for the upgrade.

In the end, however, it would be much cheaper than buying a Polemaster.

#28 Rydeen 98

Rydeen 98

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 May 2019 - 11:06 AM

Before giving up on the Sharp Cap idea for polar alignment I'd check and see if you really wouldn't find it worthwhile.

I've got the lifetime license so I don't know how the yearly subscription works, but I'm betting that you pay your money, download the software and for the next year you get all the updates.  But if all you want/need is that polar alignment then if you don't pay anything in the next 5-10 years I'm guessing you can still use the old version and keep on using that polar alignment routine.

I'd be betting on operating system changes or something breaking the functionality every 5-10 years so eventually you'd end up paying for the upgrade.

In the end, however, it would be much cheaper than buying a Polemaster.

I don't think that's how it works with SharpCap.  As far as I can tell the polar alignment is a feature only available in the Pro version.  Once your license expires I think the Pro versions extra functions are locked out.  Can anyone confirm this?

#29 DSO_Viewer

DSO_Viewer

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 May 2019 - 11:18 AM

I don't think that's how it works with SharpCap.  As far as I can tell the polar alignment is a feature only available in the Pro version.  Once your license expires I think the Pro versions extra functions are locked out.  Can anyone confirm this?

Yes you are correct and what Olecus wrote is completely inaccurate.

Steve

#30 OleCuss

OleCuss

Vanguard

Posted 06 May 2019 - 12:43 PM

Yes you are correct and what Olecus wrote is completely inaccurate.

Steve

Bummer!  I was hoping it would work for him.

#31 Rydeen 98

Rydeen 98

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 May 2019 - 02:23 PM

Bummer!  I was hoping it would work for him.

Yes it is a bummer.  Maybe within the next few years someone will develop a better way.  With all the free ASCOM and plate solving apps it's bound to happen.  I've got decent results with phd2's polar align though I find it to be a lot of work doing multiple iterations with my LX200 wedge mount.  The latitude and azimuth controls don't offer much in the way of fine control so over correction is a big problem for me going back and forth.  I'm not even sure Sharpcap would improve that other than maybe requiring less iterations.

#32 OleCuss

OleCuss

Vanguard

Posted 06 May 2019 - 05:14 PM

BTW, I did a little checking and KStars has a Polar Alignment Assistant which might do the desired task.  I've never used the system at all so I cannot say whether or not it is good.

But at least one cannot argue with the Kstars price!

#33 Rickster

Rickster

Viking 1

• Loc: NC Kansas Bortle 3 SQM 21.8+

Posted 10 May 2019 - 02:50 PM

FWIW, I just want to say that OleCuss gives some of the best advice on this board, and has for quite some time.

#34 Cobalt5120

Cobalt5120

Mariner 2

• Loc: Bremen, IN (just south of South Bend)

Posted 12 May 2019 - 09:11 PM

Can you imagine 1000 years from now what EAA would look like by then?

Yep.  The humans will be framing the sky and telling their kids,  "see that dim blue light next to that bright star, that's the planet your great, great, great, great grandpa lived on a long time ago."

Kind of reminds me of the song, IN THE YEAR 2525. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics