•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Two new image stabilized binoculars? Are the identical?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ThomasM

ThomasM

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 March 2018 - 06:13 PM

I just got aware of two new image stabized binoculars, vixen atera 12x30 and fujinon  tehno stabi 12x28. The sepecs look very similar,  also the pictures show the same designe features, is the hardware almost identical?

https://www.vixen-as...tion-binocular/

https://www.bhphotov...stabilized.html

Anyhow, both sound to me extremely interesting, less than 450 g for a 12x image stabilized binocular!

Any personal experience already?

Thomas

p.s. the fujinon is more expensive but looks much nicer to me

Edited by ThomasM, 30 March 2018 - 06:16 AM.

#2 Mark9473

Mark9473

Voyager 1

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 30 March 2018 - 11:26 AM

Here is the page with the Vixen specs: https://global.vixen...roduct/11493_1/

I have to say, the Vixen looks a lot cooler (to me) than that Fujinon.

#3 tropical

tropical

Viking 1

Posted 30 March 2018 - 01:34 PM

I actually prefer the Fujinon black body and design.  They both weigh the same without batteries.  With batteries the Fujinon is lighter with CR2 litium versus 2 AAA's from Vixen by 11grams.  Reliability of CR2 lithium is also better unless one wants to use 2 AAA's lithium.  Fujinon is much more expensive, though.  They both look very cool.  I am not sure what Vixen means by roof BK7/ BK4 sub prisms.

#4 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 30 March 2018 - 01:51 PM

Interesting to see if these "steal" and sales from Canon?

#5 Mark9473

Mark9473

Voyager 1

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 30 March 2018 - 01:51 PM

I also didn't understand why they mention phase coatings - isn't this a porro?

#6 Pinac

Pinac

Apollo

• Loc: Switzerland

Posted 30 March 2018 - 03:21 PM

I tested the Vixen Atera last week at an optics shop in Zurich and found it somewhat disappointing.

The image seemed rather dull in my eyes, sharpness and contrast did not impress me at all, esp. compared to the Canon 12x36. The field of view appears narrow, even narrower than the spec (4.2 deg = 73m), and it is clearly narrower than in the Canon (5 deg = 87m).

I was also not impressed with the stabilization mechanism, which did not give me the same stable image as the Canons do, but that may be something personal, everybody‘s shaking is a bit different (as are the eyes, of course).

What I did like: the Vixen is very compact and light for a stabilized bino.

For the plastic body, I would say what the English say about their food product „Marmite“: you either hate it, or you love it wink.gif

• Sarkikos, Stellarfire, Foss and 1 other like this

#7 ThomasM

ThomasM

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 31 March 2018 - 01:50 AM

I tested the Vixen Atera last week at an optics shop in Zurich and found it somewhat disappointing.

The image seemed rather dull in my eyes, sharpness and contrast did not impress me at all, esp. compared to the Canon 12x36. The field of view appears narrow, even narrower than the spec (4.2 deg = 73m), and it is clearly narrower than in the Canon (5 deg = 87m).

I was also not impressed with the stabilization mechanism, which did not give me the same stable image as the Canons do, but that may be something personal, everybody‘s shaking is a bit different (as are the eyes, of course).

What I did like: the Vixen is very compact and light for a stabilized bino.

For the plastic body, I would say what the English say about their food product „Marmite“: you either hate it, or you love it wink.gif

Thanks a lot for your impressions, it will be intersting to see first reports about the fujinon techno stabi.

• Stellarfire likes this

#8 Pinac

Pinac

Apollo

Posted 07 April 2018 - 09:06 AM

Just had a chance to spend half an hour outside a shop with the new Vixen Atera H 12x30 and have to fully confirm my initial view on them (see post #6 above).

If people who consider buying them will first compare them to the Canon 10x30 or 12x36 or any of the new Canons (10x32, 12x32 and 14x32), I am pretty sure the Vixen will not "steal much sales" from Canon. Price wise the Vixen is, depending on the shops, somewhere between the Canon 10x30 and 12x36 on the one hand and the new Canon 10/12/14x32 on the other hand.

Not only is the image dark, tunnel vision prevails and sharpness is less than expected. CA correction is okay, not super. It is kind of difficult to find a comfortable position holding the Atera, with the battery compartment sticking out underneath the bino and the odd shape of the binocular body I never found an easy way to grab and hold.
The IS system did not really produce a stable image; all the Canons, also the older ones, stabilize better in my experience.

The plastic body rattles a bit and leaves a cheap impression (maybe someone will say it looks "trendy", but I am not convinced).

Overall, I think the Atera is a far cry form the Canons in terms of optical and IS performance.

What is better in the Vixen than in the 10x30 or 12x36 Canon: the focusing mechanism is really internal; in the two mentioned Canons, due to the moving objective lenses the tubes are clearly NOT humidity and dust proof; the Vixen (and the new x32 Canons) have a protective glass in front of the objectives. However, Vixen doesn't specifiy whether the Atera is actually dustproof, splashproof or waterproof.

And: the Atera is smaller and 200g lighter than the Canon 10x30, so you could possibly put it in a coat pocket.

fwiw Pinac

Edited by Pinac, 07 April 2018 - 09:11 AM.

• Mark9473, Stellarfire, jgroub and 1 other like this

#9 ThomasM

ThomasM

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 April 2018 - 09:59 AM

Just had a chance to spend half an hour outside a shop with the new Vixen Atera H 12x30 and have to fully confirm my initial view on them (see post #6 above).

If people who consider buying them will first compare them to the Canon 10x30 or 12x36 or any of the new Canons (10x32, 12x32 and 14x32), I am pretty sure the Vixen will not "steal much sales" from Canon. Price wise the Vixen is, depending on the shops, somewhere between the Canon 10x30 and 12x36 on the one hand and the new Canon 10/12/14x32 on the other hand.

Not only is the image dark, tunnel vision prevails and sharpness is less than expected. CA correction is okay, not super. It is kind of difficult to find a comfortable position holding the Atera, with the battery compartment sticking out underneath the bino and the odd shape of the binocular body I never found an easy way to grab and hold.
The IS system did not really produce a stable image; all the Canons, also the older ones, stabilize better in my experience.

The plastic body rattles a bit and leaves a cheap impression (maybe someone will say it looks "trendy", but I am not convinced).

Overall, I think the Atera is a far cry form the Canons in terms of optical and IS performance.

What is better in the Vixen than in the 10x30 or 12x36 Canon: the focusing mechanism is really internal; in the two mentioned Canons, due to the moving objective lenses the tubes are clearly NOT humidity and dust proof; the Vixen (and the new x32 Canons) have a protective glass in front of the objectives. However, Vixen doesn't specifiy whether the Atera is actually dustproof, splashproof or waterproof.

And: the Atera is smaller and 200g lighter than the Canon 10x30, so you could possibly put it in a coat pocket.

fwiw Pinac

Pinac,

thanks a lot for your detailed information. Did you made a side by side comparision with one of the Canon IS binoculars?

Thomas

#10 Pinac

Pinac

Apollo

Posted 11 April 2018 - 01:56 PM

Yes, 10x30 II and 12x36 III. That probably made the Vixen look even worse than if inspected with no comparison.

I found the difference to the Canons, optically and IS wise, substantial.

Again, the only points where the Vixen wins are weight and size. Sorry if that sounds somewhat harsh, but I am pretty sure people looking at the Vixen and having never looked through another IS bino will either think that IS binos are not very useful, or that IS technology is still early in its development stage.

I really wonder if the new Fujinon (is it the same essentially as the Vixen?) and Kenko are doing any better. I have several instruments from Vixen, some made in Japan, some in China, and they all deliver perhaps not a fantastic, but a very decent performance (and I find the 83 degree SSW Vixen eyepieces really very good). I wonder what is going on with the Atera.

I would very much appreciate some opinions from other forum members if they have a chance to look at the Atera, to be sure it‘s not just my eyes and arms that don‘t go well together with the Atera.

Edited by Pinac, 11 April 2018 - 01:58 PM.

• CAAD9 likes this

#11 CAAD9

CAAD9

Viking 1

• Loc: Australia

Posted 11 April 2018 - 05:43 PM

I would very much appreciate some opinions from other forum members if they have a chance to look at the Atera, to be sure it‘s not just my eyes and arms that don‘t go well together with the Atera.

Thanks for posting your impressions Pinac.  I think your call for forum members to take whatever opportunity to look through binoculars and report back is well made.  It is hard to find places that stock binoculars, albeit I think we may have it ok here in Australia comparatively speaking.  Still, you are spot on, if I get a chance to look through a pair I'll pipe in.  grin.gif

#12 Pinac

Pinac

Apollo

Posted 12 April 2018 - 05:57 AM

..... It is hard to find places that stock binoculars, albeit I think we may have it ok here in Australia comparatively speaking.  .....

You are right, it is increasingly difficult to find storses with a large bino selection in stock. I am lucky that I have two such shops within 40 minutes driving, one of them claims to have constantly over 100 different binos in stock. How long they can survive like this I don‘t know.

• Mad Matt likes this

#13 Mad Matt

Mad Matt

Vanguard

• Loc: Frankfurt, Germany

Posted 12 April 2018 - 09:19 AM

How long they can survive like this I don‘t know.

Maybe because you are a customer? flowerred.gif grin.gif blush.gif bow.gif  

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#14 Full Sun

Full Sun

Messenger

• Loc: NOTL, Ontario

Posted 12 April 2018 - 09:24 AM

I think the optical quality of the Canon 10x30 and the 12x36lll are excellent, that is until you activate the stabilization mode, then the whole picture becomes unfathomable for me. I just don’t want to look at the prismatic ‘blur’.

The original Fujinon and Nikon options do not distort the finer details with non- liquid prisms, as well they offer a wider range of stabilization. With some of the prices I see on the close-out Fuji 12x32 model, essentially at half last years price, I fear some of you are missing out on an excellent  IS Bino whose later models now come with hand tremor control-as well. 

Edited by Full Sun, 12 April 2018 - 12:12 PM.

#15 Pinac

Pinac

Apollo

Posted 12 April 2018 - 02:31 PM

..... I fear some of you are missing out on an excellent  IS Bino .....

Since I am currently not buying or considering to buy any IS binos, I don‘t feel I am losing out on anything confused1.gif

#16 Pinac

Pinac

Apollo

Posted 13 April 2018 - 01:22 AM

Maybe because you are a customer? flowerred.gif grin.gif blush.gif bow.gif  

Sure, I am (I guess one of their larger ones over the years), but my purchases are hardly enough for them to maintain a large stock of instruments at an expensive inner city location ... 

Edited by Pinac, 13 April 2018 - 03:40 PM.

• Mad Matt likes this

#17 karstenkoch

karstenkoch

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Virginia

Posted 05 May 2018 - 07:15 AM

Sure, I am (I guess one of their larger ones over the years), but my purchases are hardly enough for them to maintain a large stock of instruments at an expensive inner city location ... 

Maybe they also do government and military sales?

Thanks for the review. I think I'll let night vision and stabilization evolve in the market for another decade before jumping in.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics