•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cosmic Challenge: Leo II

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PhilH

PhilH

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 31 March 2018 - 10:00 AM

Last April, this column profile the dwarf spheroidal galaxy Leo I, discovered by chance in 1950 by astronomers Robert Harrington (still no relation!) and A.G. Wilson as they were scanning the Palomar Sky Survey. I ended that column saying that "Using the right eyepiece and knowing the field will help you add this dwarf spheroidal to your list of conquered challenges with comparative ease. But don't get too cocky. Spotting its sibling, Leo II is an even greater challenge. But we will leave that for a future column." Well, that future is now.

Click here to view the article
  • Asbytec, Knasal and Augustus like this

#2 Knasal

Knasal

Viking 1

• Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 31 March 2018 - 02:25 PM

Thank you for your entry, Phil !

I like your Cosmic Challenge book as it challenges me to see things in the night sky with smaller aperture than I thought would be possible. 

Your entries make me a better observer.

Best,

Kevin

• PhilH and R.bak like this

#3 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 31 March 2018 - 04:59 PM

Now THAT is a challenge!

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

• PhilH likes this

#4 SNH

SNH

Vostok 1

• Loc: North central Arkansas

Posted 27 April 2018 - 04:35 PM

After reading about it in Phil's book, I tried to see it and was successful in my 10-inch SCT. Now I've seen Leo I, Leo II, and Leo III! Sweet.

• PhilH likes this

#5 PhilH

PhilH

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 28 April 2018 - 06:14 AM

After reading about it in Phil's book, I tried to see it and was successful in my 10-inch SCT. Now I've seen Leo I, Leo II, and Leo III! Sweet.

That's great!  Leo III (or if you'd prefer, UGC 5364 or PGC 28868) is definitely worth hunting down, although the Moon, nearing full right now, will probably push the effort off until next month.  It's at RA 09h 59.4m, Dec +30° 44.6, 5° north of Mu (μ) Leo, the star at the top of Leo's "Sickle."

For those who are unfamiliar with Leo III, here is some info: http://server3.wikis...ew?object=Leo A

Might make a good challenge for next April...are we starting a trend here? (Leo I was featured in last April's column.)  grin.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics