•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Why new up and coming amateur and professional astronomers around the world should endeavour to get familiar with the all American Vernonscope Bran...

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#26 kenkolen

kenkolen

Sputnik

• Loc: Miami

Posted 05 April 2018 - 12:06 PM

I used to see Don at the Winter Star Parties in the FL Keys every year. I loved to horse trade with Don and I really miss seeing him there.

Neal

#27 Esso2112

Esso2112

Viking 1

• Loc: Magnolia, TX

Posted 06 April 2018 - 09:45 AM

After some careful cleaning and oiling, the wood box has been saved.  I sent Liz an e-mail asking about getting some new foam for it.  The box is square and very well built.  Curious that it is different than the box your brass Brandon's are in.  It looks more like the box for the binoviewerr, but is a much darker wood. 

#28 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 06 April 2018 - 10:51 AM

Loved the article, thanks for bringing it to us!

I do miss my Brandons, they were wonderful is the Astro-Physics Star12, a f/8.5 ED doublet.

If (when!) I get another long-focus scope I'll have to re-acquire some Brandons. The 24 was my favorite, though I got the most use from the 12 and the 8.

#29 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Voyager 1

Posted 09 April 2018 - 10:52 PM

? Professional astronomers never get within about 5,000 miles of an ocular.  Even when they're using accessible equipment (like the dragonfly telescope), it's all about imaging.  The big observatory work is as a rule handled by professional staff unless there is some kind of special instrumentation that someone has designed for a particular task and the astronomer needs to be on site--basically as an engineer.  

It's nice that you like your oculars, though.  

• pbunn likes this

#30 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 19 April 2018 - 10:21 AM

Wow, what an article and history lesson! I really enjoyed looking at your beautiful photographs too!

I know Don, met him at his shop around the early '80's. I lived in Rochester, NY at the time and was a salesman for a photographic company and would cover upstate NY and call on the camera shops. I actually would drive right by his place on my way to Cornell. One day I stopped in and introduce my self to him. Very friendly fellow and quite the charter with lot's of stories! I tols him I had a C-8 and would like to upgrade some of my eyepieces. He sold me a 16mm and 32mm, which I still have today. I actually bought a 2nd 16mm about 7 years ago when I started using a binoviewer. I don't know what it is about them, but I call them my "moon" eyepieces as the contrast and sharpness on the moon is exceptional!

Later on down the years I stopped again at his shop and he showed me this huge eyepiece, a 40mm wide angle, like 70*. It was a monster and I had to have it! Later on, I found out it had a name, "the beast"! I saw Don a few years ago at the Neaf show and he asked me if I still had it and would I like to sell it? He say's he get's call all the time for one and I think there were not that many made. I off course said no, never would sell it.

So again, thanks so much for writing this article, it has made my day:)

Bob

#31 Robert Stell

Robert Stell

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 25 April 2018 - 08:59 PM

James,  Very interesting read.  My father was good friends with Don Yeier and he helped my dad build a 6-inch refractor which I still have.  My dad purchased a set of Brandon eyepieces just before Don purchased the company.  I still have them and they look like plats 6 & 7.  I remember Don saying he would keep the quality the same.  I was surprised to realize Don is still alive My Dad past away in 1964.  Would love to meet him.

Robert Stell

rgstell@gmail.com

#32 mnpd

mnpd

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Nashville, Tennessee

Posted 28 April 2018 - 06:20 PM

Very nice!  40-50 years ago; and earlier, I recall the Orthoscopic eyepieces being the "standard" for amateur astronomy.  Somewhere along the timeline to today, the Plossl became the most common eyepiece in the box.  Before that was before my time, but I'm sure the Huygens, Kellner etc. had their day.

#33 deepwoods1

deepwoods1

Apollo

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 29 April 2018 - 06:41 PM

Super impressive collection! Certainly museum quality. Interestingly I notice that the ad from the ‘40’s states that this eyepiece is a “must” for a RFT. Also, they were $9.95. It’s amazing what a dollar or ten would buy back then.

#34 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 30 April 2018 - 12:28 AM

Also, they were $9.95. It’s amazing what a dollar or ten would buy back then.

Probably equally amazing how long it took to earn a dollar or ten back then.

#35 JAC51

JAC51

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Suffolk UK

Posted 27 May 2018 - 02:12 PM

Very enjoyable article.

I have the 8mm , 12mm, 32mm and 48mm Brandon's, all which I really like in my TMB 130mm F9. In particular I often use the 8mm and 12mm with a barlow as my main planetary eyepieces.

What really surprised me is how often I have used them in a my Tak FS60 at F5.9  ok things  happen at the edges but the centre is really sharp.

With their lack of scatter they are my current favourite white light solar eyepieces. 

A salute to your obvious enthusiasm for all things Brandon.

#36 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

• Loc: Frederick, MD

Posted 15 June 2018 - 08:54 AM

Excellent article.  I enjoyed the history lesson.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics