•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A message from Luc Coiffier about DeepSkyStacker

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
60 replies to this topic

#51 Tonk

Tonk

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: Leeds, UK, 54N

Posted 06 April 2018 - 05:19 PM

Other than the windows interface, most of it should be somewhat portable

Have a look at the code and see what you think about your assumption! Most of the non-3rd party code is built on top of MFC which is a very Windows centric class library. The algorithms are portable but the implementation far far less so.

This sets out the scope of the problem - https://stackoverflo...rogram-on-linux

Edited by Tonk, 06 April 2018 - 05:27 PM.

#52 Lightning

Lightning

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Canberra, Australia

Posted 06 April 2018 - 06:17 PM

Thanks for the info Tonk. Anyone tried running it under WINE?

Cheers,

Cam

Have a look at the code and see what you think about your assumption! Most of the non-3rd party code is built on top of MFC which is a very Windows centric class library. The algorithms are portable but the implementation far far less so.

#53 xiando

xiando

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Cloudy NEOhio

Posted 06 April 2018 - 06:33 PM

In case people looked at this without reading it closely:  DSS produced better stacks.  

Of course, PixInsight has many, many settings.  But the point is, DSS's defaults are at least a strong rival to PI.

Michael, how did you get eccentricity values for DSS? I don't think I can recall seeing those offered by the program (although it'd be a welcome addition!) . Secondary processing via some script/etc?

And Tonk, Luc, et al, thank you for working on DSS. Nice to see it being focused on again. I can use others, but truth is, it's still my 'goto' stacker.

Edited by xiando, 06 April 2018 - 06:36 PM.

#54 MDWingsFan

MDWingsFan

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 06 April 2018 - 07:06 PM

Ugh!  I did clone the repo, and looked.  Its too bad DSS is so MFC dependent.  I might try to use Winelib and see if I get anywhere...  It would be nice to have a version of it that runs on Mac/Linux.  

#55 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors
  • Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted 06 April 2018 - 11:47 PM

Ugh!  I did clone the repo, and looked.  Its too bad DSS is so MFC dependent.  I might try to use Winelib and see if I get anywhere...  It would be nice to have a version of it that runs on Mac/Linux.  

Actually one could just as well say it's too bad other operating systems don't have MFC :)

But one possibility for the Mac/Linux crowd might be to write an alternative to the BatchPreprocessing script in PixInsight that has a user interface more like DSS.  The thing that many of us like best about DSS is the straightforward, foolproof user interface.  Years ago I heard somewhere that it was designed to keep sleepy astronomers from making mistakes.  Is that in fact something Luc had in mind?  I really do appreciate the way it is hard to get things wrong in DSS.

#56 skysurfer

skysurfer

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: EU, N 52 E 6

Posted 07 April 2018 - 02:23 AM

Actually one could just as well say it's too bad other operating systems don't have MFC smile.gif

Well, the 'M' stands for Microsoft and if this were true, one would expect that Windows or Linux should support Xcode, which is ridiculous.

It is a pity that the source code is so heavily dependant on MFC, so converting it to portable C++ code is not an easy job I think. But despite this, DSS is a really nice app.
And as a Mac user I can live with it, just use VirtualBox and running Windows 10 in it with DSS.

#57 perdrix

perdrix

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Kenilworth GB

Posted 07 April 2018 - 03:57 AM

If you're happy with running command line (which most folks in the Unix world are) then the command line version of DSS (DeepSkyStackerCL) would most likely port pretty easily.

Dave

#58 skysurfer

skysurfer

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: EU, N 52 E 6

Posted 07 April 2018 - 06:04 AM

If you're happy with running command line (which most folks in the Unix world are) then the command line version of DSS (DeepSkyStackerCL) would most likely port pretty easily.

Dave

That would be a nice beginning. The next step would be making a GUI wrapper around it.

#59 Digipainter

Digipainter

Explorer 1

• Loc: Ca

Posted 07 April 2018 - 01:56 PM

Reporting back, as I am not one to give up ;-)

-  after installing the Microsoft runtime update (Thanks Sputnik) I had to run the Microsoft Malicious virus remover before I could get Winhose to install the needed file, although nothing was reported.  so if anyone is having an issue with window updates not updating / installing the update I suggest running the MS Malicious virus removal tool first.   

-  I then was able to install and  run the new 64bit version of DSS . . . YAY!

Sometimes windows is just weird . . . Linux is so much nicer, but . . . I use windows for other prgs that just do not play with Linux.

Anyway Success with the install, Now to give it a go with some data captured earlier this year.  Been to cloudy and rainy (a month of rain & clouds), I'll post an update after I've had a bit of fun.

Thanks for updating DSS to 64bit Luc

Tim . . . . aka Digipainter

#60 MDWingsFan

MDWingsFan

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 07 April 2018 - 03:03 PM

Dave

I might give that a go...  Most, if not all, of the libraries DSS uses(libTiff, jpg, png) etc are already cross platform

#61 Dan Crowson

Dan Crowson

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Dardenne Prairie, MO

Posted 09 April 2018 - 11:44 AM

Just a heads up that there is a new release version available. See this topic - https://www.cloudyni...pskystacker-410 or find the files through the Links section of the DeepSkyStacker Yahoo Group - https://groups.yahoo...kyStacker/info.

Dan

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics