•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter April 11th 2018 - Bangkok

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#51 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Aurora

• -----
  • Loc: Ajman - UAE

Posted 18 April 2018 - 09:38 AM

Great images, actually funny thing is, you made me go for a 20" scope myself (just deposited it today), and to go to Thailand hunting for real-estate and be there at least 3-4 months a year. No kidding here, I have the plane tickets to Bangkok for the 1st July grin.gif  By the way, what do you think about the seeing compared to Bangkok in Koh Chang / Samui islands, I'm thinking of renting a small house / flat with huge terrace from next year there?

I know it's off topic, but if anyone has experience regarding to Tenerife's high elevation (90 min drive from the place where Damian made his trip), or Barbados vs. Thailand, I would appreciate. I also go to visit Tenerife before Thailand to look around, lucky I have friends both in Thailand and Tenerife. I might need to have a new friend in Barbados as well lol.gif

One more question: how did you send your scope there from Italy? DHL, UPS, plane?

Thanks,

Gabor

You can visit my yard too, so you can have many places around the world, i will shoot planets with different scopes and hope you can see the quality or condition from here, we have stable condition too and not much winds, 2 days ago it was really windy, but now it is again back to calm and no clouds tonight, 1 week it was cloudy, but i know that my country is in a dry hot normal weather zone so we don't have extreme weather except the heat according to humidity.

#52 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Aurora

• -----

Posted 18 April 2018 - 09:40 AM

Tiziano, lucky to have that self-made or home-made scope and more expensive than that of C14, so even if it is available commercially i won't buy it anyway, even with C14 i need a sturdier mount anyway, so i think i should just g with it and not look else where.

This name, Tiziano, is reminding me about one Italian person in the past i talked to.

#53 Gabor Kiss

Gabor Kiss

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 18 April 2018 - 09:53 AM

You can visit my yard too, so you can have many places around the world, i will shoot planets with different scopes and hope you can see the quality or condition from here, we have stable condition too and not much winds, 2 days ago it was really windy, but now it is again back to calm and no clouds tonight, 1 week it was cloudy, but i know that my country is in a dry hot normal weather zone so we don't have extreme weather except the heat according to humidity.

Thanks a lot, curious how will it go with your pictures. Btw I have to find a fix place in the next 2 years to leave the scope there, as it will be like 60kg. Which is still not much for a 20" scope, but still not something I can travel around with frequently.

#54 Tizianobkk

Tizianobkk

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:23 AM

Hi Gabor,

are you serious? Thailand is not a great astronomic site, my location is good only for planets and for few months per year, typically December till May (not every day).

I don't know how's the seeing outside of my location, the Thai national observatory is located in the North, near Chiang Mai: http://1.179.136.234/weather/

Koh Samui could be a good choice, being an island you may probably have the laminar flow from the sea, coming from the south.

I sent my 410mm telescope together with my household furniture in a 20" container when I relocate from Switzerland to Thailand. The telescope was crated in a wooden box, without the mirrors.

Wooden crate is the way to go, it's not going to be cheap though, you can ask any removal or shipment company.

See you here!

Cheers

Tiziano

#55 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Aurora

• -----

Posted 18 April 2018 - 05:04 PM

Thanks a lot, curious how will it go with your pictures. Btw I have to find a fix place in the next 2 years to leave the scope there, as it will be like 60kg. Which is still not much for a 20" scope, but still not something I can travel around with frequently.

This year i am working on images i hope, i posted few images but not super quality or amazing anyway, but it showed me that i am fine here, the planets are nice and clear, even under poor seeing and overpower magnification i was able to have something, here is an image or 2 of Jupiter and Saturn, first is by ST80 and second is by 180mm Mak.

03_27_22_g4_ap1_conv.jpg

Saturn_27-_March-2018.jpg

Both aren't processed good enough, only AS!2 and then Photoshop CC, so no Registax no Winjupo or anything else, the second was poor seeing and i used 3X Barlow with the Mak which it was too much really, but i am very happy that those are done from my yard at home, and the first one actually is done while my mount is still not fixed, so AZ/ALT mode i think.

#56 Gabor Kiss

Gabor Kiss

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 18 April 2018 - 05:23 PM

Hi Gabor,

are you serious? Thailand is not a great astronomic site, my location is good only for planets and for few months per year, typically December till May (not every day).

I don't know how's the seeing outside of my location, the Thai national observatory is located in the North, near Chiang Mai: http://1.179.136.234/weather/

Koh Samui could be a good choice, being an island you may probably have the laminar flow from the sea, coming from the south.

I sent my 410mm telescope together with my household furniture in a 20" container when I relocate from Switzerland to Thailand. The telescope was crated in a wooden box, without the mirrors.

Wooden crate is the way to go, it's not going to be cheap though, you can ask any removal or shipment company.

See you here!

Cheers

Tiziano

Hi Tiziano,

Yes I'm totally serious lol.gif , I even tried to reach you on LinkedIn as far as I remember and here in PM to ask some questions about your local conditions. Well seeing wise it seems to be awesome, I know that transparency is not the best though and can be rainy during summer times, which will be the case the next years when planets will be near opposition - but much better than my Central-European conditions anyway.

Other options would be Tenerife's observatory site / Barbados or Dominica, we will see.

Hope once we will have the chance to do some planetary work together waytogo.gif

BTW what would you call the perfect planetary imaging place in your opinion (I know Pic du Midi, but I think of something where you can have permanent setup and live tongue2.gif)?

Cheers

Edited by Gabor Kiss, 18 April 2018 - 05:37 PM.

#57 Tizianobkk

Tizianobkk

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:38 AM

Hi Gabor,

certainly Thailand is better than central Europe with regards to planetary imaging, other good locations (if you don't want to live on a mountain top) are probably Barbados, where Damian Peach used to go with excellent results, some part of Australia, now that the planets are at negative declination (you can ask Anthony Wesley). Cebu in Philippines is also a good place, as you can see from Chris Go superb images, the raining season there is also very long and there are typhoons, therefore you cannot leave the telescope outside permanently.

Many of the largest telescopes are in the Atacama desert in Chile, not a very pleasant place to live. I also have mixed information regarding the quality of seeing there.

Perhaps other members of this forum have suggestions and first hand experience.

Cheers

Tiziano

#58 wargrafix

wargrafix

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: Trinidad

Posted 19 April 2018 - 12:24 PM

Seeing is variable from Chile. Sometimes pretty decent but nowhere close to barbados.

#59 Gabor Kiss

Gabor Kiss

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 19 April 2018 - 01:33 PM

Hi Gabor,

certainly Thailand is better than central Europe with regards to planetary imaging, other good locations (if you don't want to live on a mountain top) are probably Barbados, where Damian Peach used to go with excellent results, some part of Australia, now that the planets are at negative declination (you can ask Anthony Wesley). Cebu in Philippines is also a good place, as you can see from Chris Go superb images, the raining season there is also very long and there are typhoons, therefore you cannot leave the telescope outside permanently.

Many of the largest telescopes are in the Atacama desert in Chile, not a very pleasant place to live. I also have mixed information regarding the quality of seeing there.

Perhaps other members of this forum have suggestions and first hand experience.

Cheers

Tiziano

Thank you for your answer. Well, considering that the planets will move to the summer time, which is not the best season as you mentioned in Thailand, I'm planning to visit Barbados Christmas time as well. I really want to make a decision this year, so I can move to one of these places every year for a few months to do planetary imaging. My scope is soon under construction, and as you mentioned I've custom ordered a wooden crate as well, and a separate "luggage" for the 20" optics that I bring with me on the plane (at least among the other big bags). 

Anyway, if I move to Thailand next year or after, I will surely hit you up and hopefully have a chance to meet you. Thanks for your help!

#60 Gabor Kiss

Gabor Kiss

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 19 April 2018 - 01:45 PM

Seeing is variable from Chile. Sometimes pretty decent but nowhere close to barbados.

Good information, thanks a lot!

Edited by Gabor Kiss, 19 April 2018 - 01:46 PM.

#61 Gabor Kiss

Gabor Kiss

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 19 April 2018 - 01:47 PM

This year i am working on images i hope, i posted few images but not super quality or amazing anyway, but it showed me that i am fine here, the planets are nice and clear, even under poor seeing and overpower magnification i was able to have something, here is an image or 2 of Jupiter and Saturn, first is by ST80 and second is by 180mm Mak.

03_27_22_g4_ap1_conv.jpg

Saturn_27-_March-2018.jpg

Both aren't processed good enough, only AS!2 and then Photoshop CC, so no Registax no Winjupo or anything else, the second was poor seeing and i used 3X Barlow with the Mak which it was too much really, but i am very happy that those are done from my yard at home, and the first one actually is done while my mount is still not fixed, so AZ/ALT mode i think.

Thanks for sharing, curious how it will go with the photos in the future ;)

#62 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Aurora

• -----

Posted 19 April 2018 - 02:02 PM

Thanks for sharing, curious how it will go with the photos in the future wink.gif

If i have another scopes better quality or larger [or better to say longer focal length] then we can show off wink.gif lol.gif grin.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics