•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

FOA60 with Baader Morpheus eyepiece

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 rerun

rerun

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Germany, Europe

Posted 14 April 2018 - 10:20 AM

I make a lot of observation with my litte Takahashi.For my scopes I always have a case with eyepieces ,finder,diagonal,red light,pencil,rubber,sketching block in it. So when I start I grab the case , the mount and I be shure to have everything with me I need. That is the reason for me to have other eyepiece in my case with FC76 like in the FOA 60.
In my FOA60 case is an Hyperion Zoom 8-24mm eyepiece a baader barlow 2,25x designed for the Hyperion Zoom , Nagler 11mm,skywatcher 40mm .For high magnification the 8mm zoom and 2,25x barlow come up to 149x. But than the field of view was small. So I thought about a new 5mm eyepiece . The Baader Morpheus 4,5mm came to my mind. Now a dealer here in  germany had a special time for a test. You got the eyepiece ,test it for 4 weeks and hold it or give it back. Then you only had to pay the return postage. That was great thing for me . There was  no risk for me and I ordered the 4,5mm eyepiece. It comes in a big box with a lot of Accessories . You get some different rubber eyecups ,a cameraadaption and a eyepiece holster. One metall/rubber eyecup could be screwed with the eyepiece . And you can fold it up and down. I used it most the time fold up. Than I had a good distance to the eye. The second eyecup was only rubber not srewable and an adaption M43 / M43 for AP. I am only a visual observer so I dont need that. But nice to have. 
First light was on some trees in the garten. The view was sharp but sometimes it shows a little kidneybeaning . So I wad a little scary what will happen at an observation by night.
The very next night I used the morpheus eyepiece at my FOA60 / 530. Start with great orion nebulae. It is late for this object it is now low in the south west. The nebulae was weak but the stars were sharp and I could see the trapezium cleary . Next hop was to ngc 1981 north of orion nebulae. A number of sharp stars and a great view because of the big field of view.
And no kidney beaning that was great. I moved the eye around and around .,nothing .
Now The next objects were M38 and M35 both clusters  had a lot of space around them. A very comfortable view ,clear picture. The doubles castor and mizar were wonderful . Very sharp stars close together .This was a first short test and it was very fine.
But more interesting would be the moon or a planet. Very good that the test goes over four weeks. But I dont had to wait that long.
Two nights later I awake at 2 o Clock in the morning. To the window I saw clear skies with jupiter in the southern sky. I mafe me ready , quickly grab my scope and phototripod and went out. Starting with the Hyperion eyepiece I saw jupiter again after a longer time. All four moons were visible . Three on one side one on the other . I could not wait any longer , after a short time I put in the 4,5mm Morpheus eyepiece. Wow what a view . Jupiter looks very good very big.
Now I saw the big planet with 118x . Jupiter and his four moons fit it the fov. I use my little Tak on a tripod and i have to move it by hand. So it take some times until Jupiter and his moons walk through the eyepiece. At that high magnificatio that is great for me to have a field of view from 76 degrees .On jupiter I saw many details , the cloudbands ,the north and south regions and even the GRS was visible. So the view is very sharp with high contrast. After an hour observation I went back to bed. Very happy to had this little observation. That s why I love small scopes like my FOA60. The morpheus eyepiece works very well with this scope. It shows no kidney beaning . Had very sharp views . I used the metall/ rubbe eyecup M43. This eyedistance works very well for me. I could see the hole fov and the spacewalk effect comes through. I used it on my FC76 DS too. There I have a baader 2 " diagonal ,i can use the morpheus with 1,25 " or 2" equipment. But for using as 2" I had to test if the eyepiece will touch the mirror of the diagonal. Because it is very deep than . The morpheus is much bigger than my nagler 5mm . But it is much cheaper too.

For me the test was great and now I have a great new eyepiece. 

And a good Jupiter observation too.

Clear skies

Markus

• elwaine, Astrojensen, contrailmaker and 5 others like this

#2 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 14 April 2018 - 10:47 AM

Very nice!

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark

#3 elwaine

elwaine

Vanguard

• Loc: Sugar Land, TX

Posted 14 April 2018 - 10:52 AM

Great report. Thank you. 

#4 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 15 April 2018 - 03:20 AM

Would love to read some more on this eyepiece in your FOA60 vs FC76DS jump.gif

#5 rerun

rerun

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 April 2018 - 04:22 AM

Thomas , Larry and Erik thank you for your friendly comment . Next clear night I will test the Morpheus eyepiece on my FC76DS. 

@ Erik I will make this comparison too .

Here is a picture to see how big this eyepiece is :

Clear skies

Markus

• Erik Bakker likes this

#6 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 15 April 2018 - 09:58 AM

Excellent Markus, look forward to that comparison.

#7 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

A man of many qualities, even if they are mostly bad ones

• Administrators
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:55 AM

Markus, I am NOT happy!

Per the unofficial Terms of Service of Cloudynights, you owe us at LEAST two photos of the setup.

C'mon man, where's my eye candy??? lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

Unofficial ToS (just invented):

1. You can never start a thread in the refractors forum without a photo of your setup.

2. Minimum 2 photos of setup - follow up photos sporting different accessories most welcome.

3. You can never post enough photos of your setup.

• Tyson M likes this

#8 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

• Administrators

Posted 16 April 2018 - 05:24 AM

Nah - gimme the FOA60 photos ;)

#9 rerun

rerun

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:23 AM

Hi Nick,

I am so sorry . Here are the photo I owe you grin.gif :

Oh you said two pictures. I have to take another one. I ll be back soon bow.gif  cool.gif

Clear skies

Markus

Edited by rerun, 16 April 2018 - 08:50 AM.

• Astrojensen, nicknacknock, Terra Nova and 1 other like this

#10 rerun

rerun

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:49 AM

Nick,

you would not believe it you get not one photo,not two , you get three more photos. Is it great.

I hope you enjoy the pictures. I came to focus with the 4,5mm morpheus with the 2" takahashi adapter without diagonal . But this kind of observation is not good for my neck. lol.gif

The FOA60 is very small if the dewshield is retracted.

Clear skies

Markus

• Terra Nova and Tyson M like this

#11 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

• Administrators

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:54 AM

That’s such a lovely little scope! I have the FC76 myself and if I did not have that, I would have bought one of these pronto!!!

Why no diagonal?

#12 rerun

rerun

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:33 AM

Thank you. I really love it too. The FC76 is great too.

It was just a test to see if I come to  focus without diagonal. And without diagonal is for me the ultimate test for an eyepiece nothing else like e.g. a diagonal can bring a mistake to the picture between the lense and the eyepiece.

For observing I always use a diagonal.

Clear skies

Markus

• nicknacknock likes this

#13 BillP

BillP

ISS

• Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:44 AM

Thanks waytogo.gif

#14 rerun

rerun

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 April 2018 - 03:37 AM

Yesterday was a good observing night. The sky was clear and I started at 10 p.m. Side by side my Takahashi FC76 DS / 570  and the FOA60/530  Mizar was the first to view. In both scopes I had a Nagler 11mm eyepiece. The pictures were similar , even the weak stars were visiable in the little Takahashi. Next object was M51 the whirlpool galaxy. With the FC76 I saw a very weak washy spot here from my light pollution sky. The FOA could not show this galaxy.
M44 was an easy object for both scopes , a big number of sharp stars  in a big field. On M44 I made my test with the Nagler 5mm and the Morpheus 4,5mm eyepieces. Both eyepiece show the similar field of view. It was easy to seen because of the big number of stars all over the field. I made the comparison at both scopes with both eyepiece. This time the FOA60 shows a similar picture like the FC76. It was a wonderful view and I spent some time on M44.
To find something more difficult I searched for M53 . With the big Takahashi it was easy to find .Two stars stand near M53 . The Nagler 5mm gives me a magnification of 114 x with my FC76 and 106x with my FOA60. That is nearly the same. With the Morpheus eyepiece I come to 126x on the FC76DS and to 117x  with the FOA60.
With the FC76 the 5mm or 4,5 mm show great views of M53. It was a pleasure to look at .
Finding M53 with the FOA60 was much more difficult to me. And the best view for the little Tak was the Nagler 7mm eyepiece. With 5mm the pictures was to weak. In Situationen like these it is good to have the bigger FC76.  But I wont miss M53 with the FOA60 , I can not go to the higher magnification.
Last object this night was jupiter. This time I saw the shadow of the moon Io on Jupiter. What a surprise to see that black spot . Again I used both eyepiece 5mm and 4,5 mm in both scopes. I saw not different between the eyepieces and the scopes. Only short before the shadow leaves jupiter very near to the eadge ,the view was more critical in the FOA than in the FC76.
I spent a lot time on jupiter observing before I ended my session at 2.30 am.
What a great night and wonderful views I had this time.
The Morpheus eyepiece is a great thing I am glad I bought it. The Nagler is more handy not that big . But the pictures I got are similar.It wad a big fun to observe with this equipment. 
Like I wrote in other threats the bigger aperture wins ,but there is a lot to be seen with this little scope(s).

Clear skies Markus

• Erik Bakker, Astrojensen, nicknacknock and 2 others like this

#15 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

• Administrators

Posted 17 April 2018 - 03:41 AM

Like I wrote in other threats the bigger aperture wins ,but there is a lot to be seen with this little scope(s).

Clear skies Markus

Marcus,

First of all, I am glad this little gem is proving its worth! The sentence I quoted from your post above is what I felt when for a few months when I did not feel like lugging my 12" dob (now passed on) and instead took my FC76 for observing. I generally prefer lower powers for viewing and the FC76 was a gem with a Pan 24, Nagler T6 13mm and Nagler T6 7mm.

All apertures are great and a seasoned observer can keep himself busy at all apertures :) 

• Erik Bakker, Astrojensen and rerun like this

#16 Fomalhaut

Fomalhaut

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Switzerland

Posted 17 April 2018 - 08:17 AM

Markus,

Very nice indeed!!!

But what's that "huge" circular rubber-ring shade at the eyepiece end of your finder?
I could also use one of those. Where did you get it?

Chris

Edited by Fomalhaut, 17 April 2018 - 08:58 AM.

#17 contrailmaker

contrailmaker

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 17 April 2018 - 11:53 AM

Nice observing reports. Small telescopes are a lot of fun. Last night I observed Saturn and Mars with my TV60 (well actually, it was at 4am). I could make out the polar cap on Mars and a large dark area. Saturn was gorgeous as ever. It takes 3 minutes to set up this scope. Great way to get my planetary fix.

I have been using a 20mm Plossl for finder duty and bought 6mm and 2.5mm Vixen NLV eyepieces especially for this scope for 60x and 144x respectively. Very pleased with these eyepieces.

CM

Edited by contrailmaker, 17 April 2018 - 11:59 AM.

• paulsky and rerun like this

#18 rerun

rerun

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 April 2018 - 08:05 AM

Hi Chris,

I bought my Takahashi finder used ,so it was like you see it on my picture. I was wondering when I saw it.But it works and is okay for me. Sorry I cant tell you were it is original from.

Clear skies 

Markus

Edited by rerun, 18 April 2018 - 10:04 AM.

• tegea likes this

#19 rerun

rerun

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 April 2018 - 08:10 AM

Hi CM ,

Yes small scopes are a great fun. It takes me 10 minutes to set up both takahashi ' s that is very fast. And that is the reason I use my scope as often as I can.

Clear skies

Markus 

Edited by rerun, 18 April 2018 - 09:50 AM.

• contrailmaker and Terra Nova like this

#20 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 18 April 2018 - 08:48 AM

Great report Markus! Your FAO looks like the perfect grab and go! The footprint looks a lot like my FC60 which I enjoy very much. It’s a lot more portable than my FC76. These little 60mm Taks pack a lot of punch for their size! Mine is always just a few steps away from my door. I use the 24.5mm Takahashi prism star diagonal and a set of CZJ Orthos (25, 16, 10, and 6mm with mine).

Attached Thumbnails

• 2D8088F0-3486-4A4A-BA7F-C75A9855D00E.jpeg

• Erik Bakker, contrailmaker, rerun and 2 others like this

#21 rerun

rerun

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:01 AM

Hi Terra ,

What a lovely little  Tak ,it really looks similar to mine. I see your equipment is ready to use in a second . That is very fast. I need around a minute to set up the phototripod and hold the FOA60 out of his case. To have your equipment ready for use in a very short time is good for quick observations on planets in the morning.

Wow that are really great eyepieces you use , they should give you a fantastic views .I read about these Carl Zeiss Jena eyepiece but never looked through one of them.

Thank you for your picture.

Clear skies Markus 

• Terra Nova likes this

#22 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:10 AM

Hi Markus. Thanks! :)

I am glad that you got the Takahashi finder to match. I have found that optically, Takahashi finders are without peer. Both of mine are so sharp, bright, and contrasty that they never cease to amaze me. However, I have also found that since I usually have my tripods set at a height that is comfortable for use with a stool, sometimes the angle of a star above the horizon puts the optical finder at a height that is hard to use. For that reason, I have added a little red-dot finder to the accessory base on the top of the Tak clam-shell of my FC60 as you see (and also my FC76). They add virtually no weight or balance problems, but they do make it a lot more convenient at times.

Regards,

• Erik Bakker and rerun like this

#23 rerun

rerun

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 April 2018 - 12:16 AM

Hi Terra,

The Tak finder is very good. A the view of this lttle finder is great and very sharp. But I also do a lot of exercises while using it .At my FC76 I use a finder  90 degrees angled. That is more comfortable.Your Idea with the red dot finder mounted at the clam shell is very good. That would help a lot. Especially for my neck.

Last night I had a short view on the thin moon . I used my FOA with the 4,5mm morpheus eyepiece and watched cleomedes.A very amazing view. I got the hole moon in the fov of the eyepiece.

Clear skies Markus 

• Terra Nova likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics