•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A Box From Amazon

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 15 April 2018 - 06:04 AM

A short story.. A Box from Amazon:

Yesterday we celebrated my 70th birthday with a beach party.  It was a gorgeous day, warm day with clear blue skies. Lots of good food, good people, helpful strangers.  The party was along the entrance to Mission Bay and boats and paddle boarders and all such were constant amusement.  My brother had flown in from Spokane, Washington, a friend had flown in from the Boston Area.  It was great fun... 

Toward sunset, Tomykay who often posts here pulled out his Vortex 10x42s and we were enjoying the views of the boats and harbor across the way.  My brother told me I needed to open the present he had brought for me.  I said, I wanted to wait until I opened them all but no, I had to open it. 

So I got the box, tore off the wrapping paper and underneath was a box from Amazon.  It was the right size and weight for some binoculars.  Now a new pair of binoculars is always great fun but I was wondering what they would be, whether it would be another useful pair and just what they might be..  

I opened the box expecting to find some packing material, some sort of a case with whatever binoculars he had decided to order for me.  

Instead there was nothing but crumpled packaging paper and a pair of binoculars.  It took me a moment to recognize them but in that moment, it all became clear:

These were my father's 7 x 50 Tower binoculars that we had used growing up.  The ones we had used during our 4WD trips to the remote locations in Baja California where we camped, sometimes there was no one, literally no one within 75 miles of us.. Dark skies, lots of sea birds in neat stuff.  I had looked on the internet for an identical pair but with no luck, not even a mention.  

They are quite unique and by my more knowledgeable perspective of today, I have to say, I really like them.  They're probably from the late 1960's, the body is magnesium, they have fully coated optics, Bak4 prisms, a very solid eyepiece bridge, 376 feet at 3000 yards = 7.2 degree field of view.  One of the features I really like are the small diameter twist up eye cups.  Modern twist up eye cups on porro prism binoculars are massive, almost too massive to fit my eye.  These are no larger than the outer diameter of the eyepiece, that's they way they should be.  

The condition is good, the glass is clean, there is some wear, they are definitely ready to use.. I'm excited. 

Tower binoculars Laddy 1.jpg

These were not to be the only binoculars I received as a birthday gift.  My friend Jeff occasionally reads these forums and he must have seen these particular binoculars mentioned recently in this forum and went to great trouble to secure a pair just for me.  They're spec'd as Ultra Wide Field, Zero Chromatic Aberration, Long eye relief.  Quite an order to fill.. 

Jeff's birthday binoculars.jpg

Jon

• Mad Matt, Rich V., Mark9473 and 28 others like this

#2 sickfish

sickfish

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Watertown Ma.

Posted 15 April 2018 - 06:15 AM

Nice to hear you had a great day Jon.

Congrats on the Binos.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#3 Man in a Tub

Man in a Tub

Hubble

• Loc: 802,701Β½ C.E.

Posted 15 April 2018 - 06:17 AM

Welcome to the septuagenarian demographic, Jon. Since I didn't get to wish you a happy birthday yesterday, I hope that your 70.00272378508...th day will also be a good day. And the days that follow.

Nice binoculars. 

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#4 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Vanguard

• Loc: Western Maine

Posted 15 April 2018 - 06:20 AM

I have the same ones as in your second pic.,great FOV!!.,and very light weight.,:).,Happy day to you.,
  • Jon Isaacs likes this

#5 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Vanguard

• Loc: Western Maine

Posted 15 April 2018 - 06:27 AM

PS.,That is soo cool that your brother still had your dad's bino.,and now they are yours.,
  • Jon Isaacs and faackanders2 like this

#6 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 15 April 2018 - 07:35 AM

Happy Birthday Jon and best wishes for many more.

#7 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northern Arizona, USA

Posted 15 April 2018 - 09:13 AM

Happy 70th! A very thoughtful gift from your brother.

#8 Foss

Foss

Messenger

Posted 15 April 2018 - 09:22 AM

Great story Jon! Glad that set of binos came home to roost.

Happy 70th.

Jack

BTW: I have several monoculars similar to the set of binos in picture #2.

#9 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 15 April 2018 - 09:30 AM

Great story Jon.

Happy 70th band2.sml.gif

#10 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

• Loc: Lancashire UK

Posted 15 April 2018 - 09:48 AM

Great story, Jon!

It's likely many here were rather hoping you would include some "sentimental observing reports" of the boats.

I  also have a very similar looking set to those "ultra-wide fields", but prefer mine masked down a little in the daytime! lol.gif

Pleased you enjoyed such a special birthday, and wish you many more to come.

Kenny

#11 tomykay12

tomykay12

Surveyor 1

• Loc: San Diego

Posted 15 April 2018 - 11:19 AM

Hey what about the telescope Jeff gave you?

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#12 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 15 April 2018 - 11:56 AM

Hey what about the telescope Jeff gave you?

Tom:  This is the binocular forum...:)

That magnificent device would be off topic.

Kenny J. was wondering about notable nautical observations. Maybe you can discuss in detail the 25 foot sailboat with the two sofas and the young women drinking wine.. 

Jon

• tomykay12 likes this

#13 JeffMartin

JeffMartin

Lift Off

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 15 April 2018 - 12:47 PM

Since Jon was turning 70, I wanted to get him something with 1mm per year.   (I was hoping an AstroMaster 70 would show up on craigslist).  Fortunately those lightweight binocs came up for under $30.  It like the fact that you can take them anywhere without worrying about damage or knocking them out of collimation.  And of course, we know his wide-field fetish.  (He never likes my equipment anyway, so I wasn't going to sink a lot of money into a thought-that-counts gift. Best to get him something that's intentionally a joke.). 

It was great meeting Jon's family.  Unlike the family, I was surprised to meet actual friends of Jon's.  I was starting to suspect that Jon's friends were all virtual, imaginary, or elaborate cyber-hoaxes.  Tom, for one, is real (and a real pleasure).

Happy Birthday, Jon.  You're heavenly.

-jeff

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#14 aeajr

aeajr

Cosmos

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 15 April 2018 - 01:07 PM

Happy birthday Jon!  Many happy returns of the day.

#15 Pinewood

Pinewood

Apollo

• Loc: 40.77638º N 73.982652 W

Posted 15 April 2018 - 01:18 PM

Hello Jon,

Happy birthday.  

In just two months, I too will starting my eighth decade.  Nevertheless, binoculars are still revealing things which I have never seen.

Clear skies,

Arthur Pinewood

Edited by Pinewood, 15 April 2018 - 04:34 PM.

#16 hallelujah

hallelujah

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North Star over Colorado

Posted 15 April 2018 - 01:31 PM

Jon,

Welcome to the genuine old fogies club.  gramps.gif

Nice 7x50 binocular. like-button.jpg

Stan

#17 Mad Matt

Mad Matt

Vanguard

• Loc: Frankfurt, Germany

Posted 15 April 2018 - 02:37 PM

Jon, happy birthday and thanks for the great story! You have a great brother πŸ‘πŸ˜

#18 CAAD9

CAAD9

Viking 1

• Loc: Australia

Posted 15 April 2018 - 04:16 PM

Very Happy Birthday to you Jon.  Great story. 

#19 faackanders2

faackanders2

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 April 2018 - 04:49 PM

Happy 70th Birthday Jon. Glad your brother gave you Dad's binos that would bring back some happy memories of your father, your childhood, and you observing the night time sky with your family.
It would be fun to recall some of the objects you observed with your Dan and look at them again in these bino to bring back those memories. Maybe you will even take a pilgrimage to the same sights, but you don't have to?
A great gift. Thanks for sharing this story!

Happy Birthday!

Ken
  • Jon Isaacs likes this

#20 Shneor

Shneor

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Northern California

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:01 AM

Happy Birthday, Jon!

Just wondering if the binos in the second photo are flocked on the inside...

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#21 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:28 AM

Happy Birthday, Jon!

Just wondering if the binos in the second photo are flocked on the inside...

:roflmao:

I will have to ask Jeff.  They're too sophisticated to tell just by looking.  :)

Thinking of Jeff.  He said he wanted to give me a 70mm, one mm per year.  He has a pair of out of collimation 15x70 Skymasters he could have given me.  

That could have had two benefits.   Maybe the miscollimation would compensate for my crooked eyes.. 

And too, those binoculars are numerically 70mm but they're effective aperture is only 63mm so maybe I would be 63 again.  :whee:

Jon

• JeffMartin and CAAD9 like this

#22 tomykay12

tomykay12

Surveyor 1

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:21 AM

It was a good day

#23 JeffMartin

JeffMartin

Lift Off

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:31 AM

roflmao.gif

I will have to ask Jeff.  They're too sophisticated to tell just by looking.  smile.gif

Thinking of Jeff.  He said he wanted to give me a 70mm, one mm per year.  He has a pair of out of collimation 15x70 Skymasters he could have given me.  

That could have had two benefits.   Maybe the miscollimation would compensate for my crooked eyes.. 

And too, those binoculars are numerically 70mm but they're effective aperture is only 63mm so maybe I would be 63 again.  whee.gif

Jon

They're both baffled and baffling.  The untrained eye would not notice the baffles because they are very low (just deep enough not to interfere with the light cone).

If effective aperture is the key to youth, then we can make a fortune with aperture masks.  :)

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#24 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:43 AM

They're both baffled and baffling.  The untrained eye would not notice the baffles because they are very low (just deep enough not to interfere with the light cone).

If effective aperture is the key to youth, then we can make a fortune with aperture masks.  smile.gif

Those spiral baffles are subtle .. :)

jon

#25 tomykay12

tomykay12

Surveyor 1

Posted 16 April 2018 - 05:00 PM

Actually they are charmin'

• Jon Isaacs likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics