•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vixen or Tak for high mag

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mlanglois

mlanglois

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Newton, MA

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:35 AM

I'm trying to decide on a short focal length eyepiece for those (very) rare nights when I can push my refractors to their limits on planets. I 'think' I've got it narrowed down to the Vixen HR 3.4mm or the Tak TOE 3.3mm. The magnifications will be almost the same, eye relief is the same (published anyway), the Tak has a wider field of view but is about $100 pricier. Has anyone got any insight to help tip me one way or the other?

(Perhaps I'm asking to soon, since the Vixen isn't available yet...)

Thanks,

Michael

#2 leveye

leveye

Skylab

• Loc: Central Oregon Coast

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:46 AM

Get a Seibert Star Splitter.

#3 JakeJ

JakeJ

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:40 AM

The Vixen is an unknown as it is not even out yet.  However, it it performs as well as the rest of them it should be a winner.  I have one on pre-order while it is on the sale price.  

#4 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Gemini

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:08 PM

I almost got a Starsplitter used (which is kind of the only way to get them for the foreseeable future) but those things are tall and it would require a game of Tetris to fit it in my eyepiece case. Also I was a bit concerned about a seeming lack of reviews comparing the star splitter to other top shelf planetary eyepieces. Let’s face it they are not in the same price range as Delos, XW, XO, Clave, ZAO, etc. So it seemed like everyone thinks they are great, especially when their eyepieces are mostly similar priced like Hyperion and so forth. I did find a few reviews where it seemed like SS4 could compete with high end eyepieces but there wasn’t enough of a consensus to make me feel comfortable they are really top shelf. And maybe at their price point they don’t have to be. Ultimately I now have an HR 3.4 on pre-order.

Scott

#5 old_enough

old_enough

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:47 PM

I got a pair of Siebert Star Splitters 3 with 3.4mm focal length for my binoscope quite recently. They are sharp, contrasty and have sufficient eye relief at least for me not wearing glasses. Some days ago I watched Jupiter through these eyepieces which was a pleasant view with the planet and 4 moons fitting into the 60° AFOV. I also have a pair of 2.5mm Naglers which I could not use on Jupiter because of strong internal reflections. So I was glad to have the Sieberts.

I can’t compare the to either some Vixen HR or Tak eyepieces. Other eyepieces I use are TeleVue Panoptic 24mm, Delos 17.3mm, Vixen SSW 7mm and Antares W70 4.3mm. I like all of them.

I‘m still interested in testing the new Takahashi TOE line of eyepieces some day to see, whether they are really that good.

Best,
Sebastian

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics