•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

asi290mm spacing with .5x reducer

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 calypsob

calypsob

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: Roanoke, Virginia

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:59 AM

Ive been helping a fellow imaging friend get up and running with a .5x reducer and the asi 290mm.  I am wondering what people are using in terms of spacer distance between the camera and reducer.  Its a generic .5x reducer. When you screw the camera directly onto the reducer the stars are pretty bad.  I am guessing this could be fine tuned to achieve the round stars I have seen others achieve with this type of pairing.  

#2 DonBoy

DonBoy

Apollo

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:15 AM

A 1.25" .5x GSO reducer will provide a reduction of 0.5x when the center of its lens assembly is placed 51mm from the focal plane of the sensor.  A Antares 1.25" .5x requires 47.5mm.  2" versions require more spacing.

• S1mas and calypsob like this

#3 calypsob

calypsob

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:52 AM

A 1.25" .5x GSO reducer will provide a reduction of 0.5x when the center of its lens assembly is placed 51mm from the focal plane of the sensor.  A Antares 1.25" .5x requires 47.5mm.  2" versions require more spacing.

Ok perfect, would I subtract the 17.5mm backfocus distance of the asi290mm from that? 

This one is an SVBONY reducer so Im not sure which spacer would be needed.  

https://www.ebay.com...=item3d5b700beb

Edited by calypsob, 16 April 2018 - 11:56 AM.

#4 DonBoy

DonBoy

Apollo

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:42 PM

The spacing I quoted is for those two specific products, what the ebay one is I can't say.  

Spacing is from center of lens to sensor.  Spacer need would be calculated as follows: Spacer = spacing - 17.5mm - distance to center of reducer lens assembly.

• calypsob likes this

#5 calypsob

calypsob

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:12 PM

The spacing I quoted is for those two specific products, what the ebay one is I can't say.  

Spacing is from center of lens to sensor.  Spacer need would be calculated as follows: Spacer = spacing - 17.5mm - distance to center of reducer lens assembly.

Thanks, sounds like a helical t2 will be needed to dial it in correctly.  Im guessing it will be similar to the other two in terms of distance.  

Edited by calypsob, 16 April 2018 - 01:12 PM.

#6 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:21 PM

Ok perfect, would I subtract the 17.5mm backfocus distance of the asi290mm from that? 

The ASI290mm spacing to the sensor is 12.5mm. The ZWO 1.25" adapter that comes with the camera is around 30mm long (I've never seen an exact measurement so this is extrapolated from similar adapters).

This setup (reducer on the 1.25" adapter/nose piece) will be pretty close the required spacing for the focal reducer. It may be a little bit under the exact number but that should be fine for optical quality.

#7 calypsob

calypsob

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 21 April 2018 - 07:33 PM

Well after alot of trial and error it turns out that the SVBONY .5x reducer prefers no spacing at all.  Any amount of spacing introduced coma.  With the reducer screwed directly onto the asi290 paired with a uv/ir cut filter, stars were perfect and reducer worked great, no internal reflections at all.  $12 well spent! 

#8 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 22 April 2018 - 03:30 PM

Wes, When you say directly onto the ASI, do you mean onto the 1.25" adapter?

If so that would be 12.5mm + 26mm (not 30 that I used in my earlier post above) + about 5mm (for the internal position of the lenses within the reducer's body), so around 44mm?

Have you done a plate solve of an image from the new setup to see exactly what fov you are getting?

#9 calypsob

calypsob

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 22 April 2018 - 07:13 PM

Wes, When you say directly onto the ASI, do you mean onto the 1.25" adapter?

If so that would be 12.5mm + 26mm (not 30 that I used in my earlier post above) + about 5mm (for the internal position of the lenses within the reducer's body), so around 44mm?

Have you done a plate solve of an image from the new setup to see exactly what fov you are getting?

Mark let me break down the specs to be sure I am explaining all of this correctly.

The camera here is the Asi 290mm Autoguider version https://www.highpoin...era-asi290mini 

By screwing the reducer directly onto the camera it seems that .5x was achieved This is actually right in line with what agena astro has listed as specs for their reducer

https://agenaastro.c...al-reducer.html

The reducer in this case was an sv bony 1.25" .5x redcuer. No spacers used to achieve .5x

I will share a link to one of Berts images taken with the .5x later.  Right now he is still processing the data. 

#10 bdyer22

bdyer22

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 22 April 2018 - 09:55 PM

I got confused by that table the first time too.  0mm --> .5x (nominal reduction) on the chart is relative to the working distance of the focal reducer which is 79mm for the Antares 2" reducer linked to.

Even if attached directly to the camera you'll have a spacing greater than 0mm because the sensor is inset into the camera body by 12.5mm.

Once you have your image upload it to http://nova.astrometry.net/upload to get your working focal reduction with the reducer spacing.

Enjoy the camera and don't forget to share! :)

#11 jdaliix

jdaliix

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 September 2018 - 03:41 PM

Well after alot of trial and error it turns out that the SVBONY .5x reducer prefers no spacing at all.  Any amount of spacing introduced coma.  With the reducer screwed directly onto the asi290 paired with a uv/ir cut filter, stars were perfect and reducer worked great, no internal reflections at all.  $12 well spent! 

I'm a little confused as to how you could screw the reducer directly onto the camera without an adapter. Have I possibly bought a different ASI290? I see there are several kinds.

#12 DonBoy

DonBoy

Apollo

Posted 16 September 2018 - 07:36 PM

Sounds like 1.25" nose piece is being considered as part of the 290 camera, which it isn't.  It is an accessory provided with camera and that is where the 0.5x focal reducer should be placed, giving it the proper spacing from the end of the nosepiece to the sensor.

#13 jdaliix

jdaliix

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 September 2018 - 03:35 PM

Sounds like 1.25" nose piece is being considered as part of the 290 camera, which it isn't.  It is an accessory provided with camera and that is where the 0.5x focal reducer should be placed, giving it the proper spacing from the end of the nosepiece to the sensor.

Don, the nose piece was included so that you can go straight through for planets, and the SVBONY reducer I have screws onto it, but the result is so distorted I'm not even sure it qualifies as coma. In this thread:

https://www.cloudyni...ng-asi290-mono/

the guy was shooting at f/5 on a C8, and so it's possible to do the same on my 11" Edge, or so I assume, but not even ASI can give me a clear answer on what reducer will work. 

#14 jdaliix

jdaliix

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 September 2018 - 11:34 AM

Mark let me break down the specs to be sure I am explaining all of this correctly.

The camera here is the Asi 290mm Autoguider version https://www.highpoin...era-asi290mini 

By screwing the reducer directly onto the camera it seems that .5x was achieved This is actually right in line with what agena astro has listed as specs for their reducer

https://agenaastro.c...al-reducer.html

The reducer in this case was an sv bony 1.25" .5x redcuer. No spacers used to achieve .5x

I will share a link to one of Berts images taken with the .5x later.  Right now he is still processing the data. 

I'm still trying to figure out how that is possible, since all ASI cameras are 42mm and require M42 adapters. Is that what you're referring to when you say "screwing the reducer directly onto the camera"?

#15 saguaro

saguaro

Viking 1

• Loc: Southern Arizona

Posted 19 September 2018 - 01:56 PM

I'm still trying to figure out how that is possible, since all ASI cameras are 42mm and require M42 adapters. Is that what you're referring to when you say "screwing the reducer directly onto the camera"?

The 290mm mini was being used. It has a 1.25-inch form factor and includes an adapter that allows you to use 1.25-inch accessories such as filters or in this case a .5x reducer.

#16 jdaliix

jdaliix

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 September 2018 - 02:33 PM

The 290mm mini was being used. It has a 1.25-inch form factor and includes an adapter that allows you to use 1.25-inch accessories such as filters or in this case a .5x reducer.

My mini ASI 290 has a 42 mm opening, from which you remove the all-sky lens. It came with a 42 mm to 1.25" nose piece adapter into which you would screw 1.25" accessories. My confusion is that posters above keep saying they're screwing 1.25" reducers directly to the camera. Since I know that's not possible, I'm trying to figure out if they're using adapters other than the included nose piece adapter (i.e., a shorter adapter). If I could find that out, I might be able to come up with a reducer solution for my 11" Edge HD. I'm losing hope, and might be stuck with the $600 0.7x Celestron reducer specifically built for the Edge optics.

Thanks for the info, however.

#17 saguaro

saguaro

Viking 1

Posted 19 September 2018 - 04:12 PM

From your description, you don’t have the 290mm mini if it has a 42mm opening. Also, the mini doesn’t include the all-sky lens, which you say you have. So it would appear that you have the USB3 290mm. You can screw 1.25-inch accessories directly into the USB3 290mm using the T2-1.25-inch filter adapter: https://astronomy-im...-filter-adapter

#18 saguaro

saguaro

Viking 1

Posted 19 September 2018 - 05:03 PM

My mini ASI 290 has a 42 mm opening, from which you remove the all-sky lens. It came with a 42 mm to 1.25" nose piece adapter into which you would screw 1.25" accessories. My confusion is that posters above keep saying they're screwing 1.25" reducers directly to the camera. Since I know that's not possible, I'm trying to figure out if they're using adapters other than the included nose piece adapter (i.e., a shorter adapter). If I could find that out, I might be able to come up with a reducer solution for my 11" Edge HD. I'm losing hope, and might be stuck with the $600 0.7x Celestron reducer specifically built for the Edge optics.

Thanks for the info, however.

I have a C14Edge and use the CCDT67 reducer from Astro-Physics. I find it works well with my ASI1600MC-Cool, which has a much larger sensor than the 290mm, so it’s worth a look.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics