•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Upgrade telescope or camera

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 spankyfreshhh

spankyfreshhh

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:32 PM

I want to know if it would be better to upgrade my camera or telescope first. I can only do one for now. I have an unmodded canon t1i and the telescope is a celestron omni xlt150. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

#2 frito

frito

Apollo

• Loc: Fremont, CA

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:56 PM

telescope, the T1i can make decent images i have one that is modded but all modding does is help with nebulas, see my astrobin in my sig for a few examples i have taken with it as well as older images i took with an unmodified Rebel XT that is much older and lower res.  

#3 spankyfreshhh

spankyfreshhh

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:36 PM

Any recommendations on a good scope to start out with? Not trying to spend more than 300, a little more if necessary.

#4 Thundermoon1994

Thundermoon1994

Viking 1

• Loc: Akron, OH, USA

Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:51 PM

What do you want to photograph?  That will help us make recommendations on a scope.

Damien

#5 photoracer18

photoracer18

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:08 PM

Yeah. $300 won't buy you even an 80mm ED refractor. Maybe a 6" SCT or an 8" Newtonian.

If it was me I would wait longer and save more money up to buy something better.

#6 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Soyuz

• Loc: Florida

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:29 PM

I want to know if it would be better to upgrade my camera or telescope first. I can only do one for now. I have an unmodded canon t1i and the telescope is a celestron omni xlt150. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

What are you wanting to image?

What mount is this on?

The T1i is totally fine.

Very best,

#7 spankyfreshhh

spankyfreshhh

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:47 PM

I have a celestron avx. Right now I would be interested in doing galaxies and some nebula. 

#8 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Soyuz

• Loc: Florida

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:42 PM

I have a celestron avx. Right now I would be interested in doing galaxies and some nebula. 

Your Omni XLT 150 would be fine for imaging to an extent. I suppose you cannot reach focus with it, with your dSLR, without a barlow?

At your budget, you could look at a new imaging newtonian, like a 6" F5 (LINK). Enough budget left over to add a GSO coma corrector (may not even need it for your subjects). Or, you can look at a 60mm F6 APO (LINK) for short, fast, and wide imaging of big nebula & big galaxies.

Very best,

#9 spankyfreshhh

spankyfreshhh

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 17 April 2018 - 08:33 AM

Thank you for the advice, I think I will save a little more and go for a 80mm refractor.

• Traveler and 2ghouls like this

#10 Kendahl

Kendahl

Apollo

• Loc: Omaha, Nebraska

Posted 17 April 2018 - 08:05 PM

Are you guiding? If not, that would enable you to get the most out of your current equipment. I use a 60 mm guide scope from Astronomics (https://www.astronom...tor_p20142.aspx) and a QHY 5L-II monochrome camera from OPT (https://optcorp.com/collections/guide-cameras/products/qhy-5l-ii-monochrome-cmos-telescope-camera). Orion sells the same combination (https://www.telescope.com/Orion/Astrophotography/Autoguiding-Solutions/Orion-StarShoot-AutoGuider-Pro-amp-60mm-Guide-Scope-Package/rc/2160/pc/-1/c/4/sc/60/p/115001.uts) but it's cheaper to buy the scope and camera separately.

Your XLT150 reflector should do well for photography. At 750 mm, its focal length isn't so long that guiding is difficult. Its fast f/5 focal ratio lets you capture enough photons without resorting to high ISOs or very long subexposure durations. It could benefit from a coma corrector.

#11 spankyfreshhh

spankyfreshhh

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 18 April 2018 - 04:22 PM

I have a toupcam mono guider and the orion 50 mm guidescope. Im trying to decide if would be better to get a coma corrector for the current scope or do away with it and get a apo refractor. If getting a coma corrector would be the better path, any suggestions on a good one?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics