•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sky-Watcher AZ GTi WiFi Controlled for EAA

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#51 davidparks

davidparks

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Battle Creek, MI - USA

Posted 12 October 2018 - 08:56 PM

I use the WO Z73 on this mount exclusively now... not sure what I’ll do with the 500mm mirror lens.

Diagram 1

Diagram 2

iPad Screenshot when connected to on-board scope Ockel computer via RDP
iPad Screenshot

Edited by davidparks, 12 October 2018 - 09:03 PM.

• Knobby and Ulmish like this

#52 CrossoverManiac

CrossoverManiac

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 12 October 2018 - 09:27 PM

ZWO sells the ASI cooled camera mounting ring here:  https://astronomy-im...s78mm-diameters

Thanks for the info smile.gif

#53 Ulmish

Ulmish

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Ulm, TX

Posted 14 October 2018 - 05:55 PM

davidparks,

Very nice setup!

Can you comment on the wedge(s) you are using?  Looks like the earlier photos of your setup have the Sky-Watcher wedge, but the last photo indicates an Ioptron EQ base?

Do you prefer the iOptron over the Sky-Watcher wedge?  Also, can you provide a link to the wedge?

Thanks!

#54 mxcoppell

mxcoppell

Ranger 4

• Loc: Coppell, Texas

Posted 14 October 2018 - 07:45 PM

David, (@davidparks)

Now I am getting into this setup too! (with my Nikon 300mm/f4 and DSLR). Some 3D printed bracket like the following by Philippe Leca (I am a fan).

5xik6wCzbN7P_wzZidKjW-Jv5fQ.jpg

NxKSHZn_YaUwtU0MDyFT_TZrBbo.jpg

There are 2 key things to run this in EQ mode - Polar Alignment and Star Alignment.

1. You mentioned before that the Polar Alignment could be "easily" done by using drift alignment with SharpCap. Could you elaborate in detail how it's done?
  2. For the Star Alignment, I think eventually I will do plate solving and sync. That will be very easy with AF. But without AF, finding a bright star to do manual focus will be extremely important. So I guess the initial star alignment will be very important. How do you do it with AZ-GTi?

Thanks in advance! 

Edited by mxcoppell, 14 October 2018 - 07:52 PM.

• tkottary, davidparks and cmooney91 like this

#55 davidparks

davidparks

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 14 October 2018 - 08:55 PM

Ulmish, yes you are correct, I’ve switched from he SW Latitude Base to iOptron’s Alt Az Base.  They are very similar, and although I was very successfully using the SW product, I do find the iOptron base slightly more stable with my equipment.  The iOptron base is slightly shorter, with a wider altitude hinge, and this may account for the additional stability.  Others have reported just the opposite, finding the SW a bit more stable than the iOptron, so it may depend on luck of the draw.

• Ulmish likes this

#56 davidparks

davidparks

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 14 October 2018 - 09:16 PM

mxcoppell,  I think this post explains for the most part how I do the Polar Alignment and then Star Alignment

Nice setup with that 3D printed bracket.  The 300mm lens should provide a great FOV!

• mxcoppell likes this

#57 mxcoppell

mxcoppell

Ranger 4

Posted 14 October 2018 - 09:22 PM

mxcoppell,  I think this post explains for the most part how I do the Polar Alignment and then Star Alignment

Got it. Thanks David!

#58 Ulmish

Ulmish

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Ulm, TX

Posted 15 October 2018 - 09:00 AM

Ulmish, yes you are correct, I’ve switched from he SW Latitude Base to iOptron’s Alt Az Base.  They are very similar, and although I was very successfully using the SW product, I do find the iOptron base slightly more stable with my equipment.  The iOptron base is slightly shorter, with a wider altitude hinge, and this may account for the additional stability.  Others have reported just the opposite, finding the SW a bit more stable than the iOptron, so it may depend on luck of the draw.

Thanks, David - I appreciate the additional info.  I have an Astro-Tech AT72EDII on order, and this mount looks perfect for a grab-and-go setup.

• davidparks likes this

#59 mysolarsystem

mysolarsystem

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Moscow, Russia

Posted 22 October 2018 - 11:22 AM

Hello! I am so interesting. To buy AZ-GTi or Sky Adventures for mobile astrophotography. My main scope - Tak FS60CB and Canon 6da. (255mm f/4.4) It's weight is 2,5 kilos. Would you recommend me buy AZ-GTi over SkyAdventures? 

For me it's so important to use Skysafari app. it's great thing! 

#60 mxcoppell

mxcoppell

Ranger 4

Posted 24 October 2018 - 07:56 PM

Hello! I am so interesting. To buy AZ-GTi or Sky Adventures for mobile astrophotography. My main scope - Tak FS60CB and Canon 6da. (255mm f/4.4) It's weight is 2,5 kilos. Would you recommend me buy AZ-GTi over SkyAdventures? 

For me it's so important to use Skysafari app. it's great thing! 

I would definitely go to AZ-GTi route. Star Adventurer is very capable but it's also a pain to use when "go to" a target in the dark. If I start over again, AZ-GTi EQ mode for the >200mm focal length is a non-brainer. 

• tkottary and davidparks like this

#61 mysolarsystem

mysolarsystem

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Moscow, Russia

Posted 29 October 2018 - 03:56 AM

Or, thank you so much, but unfortuately i already bought a Star Adventurer((( And cannot cancel the order.

#62 mxcoppell

mxcoppell

Ranger 4

Posted 29 October 2018 - 01:34 PM

Received the bracket with guider support from Philippe Leca. Better than I expected.

Very strong material and stable when all gears are put together. The total weight is just 6.5LBs (2.95KG). Perfect for AZ-GTi or SA. 

- Nikkor 300mm/f4 AFS

- Nikon D500

- Orion 50mm Guiding Scope

- Orion SSAG

Just to share. 

300-bracket-1.jpg

300-bracket-2.jpg

• premk19, davidparks and cmooney91 like this

#63 Bagwell

Bagwell

Vostok 1

• Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 19 November 2018 - 10:38 AM

Another great thread, thanks for sharing.  I am following for future updates.

Thanks, 
Vaughn

#64 wilbkr1

wilbkr1

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Whiteland, IN

Posted 14 May 2019 - 09:42 AM

Hate to bring a dead thread back to life,  but wanted to follow up and see if others are still moving forward with this project?  I am in the process of purchasing the AZ-GTI with the hopes of using it as my travel rig.

Edited by wilbkr1, 14 May 2019 - 09:43 AM.

#65 ldcarson

ldcarson

Lift Off

Posted 28 May 2019 - 08:58 AM

Well I bought the iOPTRON skyguider PRO with the ipolar scope but what a pain at night for having to "Goto" a sky object.  Am thinking of selling it and going with this mount.  I want something light weight and easy to move with....

• davidparks likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics