•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ZWO - ASIAIR

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 Giorgio Ferrari

Giorgio Ferrari

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Genova - Italy

Posted 18 April 2018 - 06:50 AM

What do you think?

Attached Thumbnails

• ZWO - ASIAIR.jpg

#2 wargrafix

wargrafix

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Trinidad

Posted 18 April 2018 - 07:24 AM

Sounds interest. The price is going to be an interesting question

#3 Giorgio Ferrari

Giorgio Ferrari

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 April 2018 - 07:32 AM

It will be presented to the next NEAF.

#4 ThatsMyCoffee

ThatsMyCoffee

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Czech Republic

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:15 AM

Looks very interesting!

#5 tkottary

tkottary

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: San Jose,CA

Posted 18 April 2018 - 01:35 PM

Latest video posted on facebook was quite interesting. Looks like rpi3 with native iOS app ,very interesting indeed.

#6 Giorgio Ferrari

Giorgio Ferrari

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 April 2018 - 02:30 PM

yes I agree!

https://www.facebook...83714158344468/

#7 Rac19

Rac19

Apollo

Posted 18 April 2018 - 03:32 PM

Is there a new Raspberry Pi with USB 3.0? All models, that I know of, only have USB 2.0.

• RedLionNJ likes this

#8 suvowner

suvowner

Ranger 4

• Loc: Arkansas

Posted 18 April 2018 - 11:39 PM

would be nice if it supports eaa and live stacking ??

#9 Rac19

Rac19

Apollo

Posted 19 April 2018 - 12:38 AM

would be nice if it supports eaa and live stacking ??

I toyed with a Raspberry Pi 3 for a while but found the lack of USB 3.0. comparative dearth of software and generally low resources (CPU, memory etc) were very limiting  for EAA (meaning it wasn't up to it). I do wonder just how much the ASIair will be capable of.

I have since gone to an Intel NUC i3, mounted on the 'scope, and I am VERY pleased with it. Everything (FireCapture, SharpCap, Cartes du Ciel, AutoStakkert, RegiStax etc) runs on the NUC which I access remotely at my desk via Windows RDP. An NUC i5 would have handled the load with more to spare but the i3 gets the job done, with longer battery life. By processing captured images on the NUC, I avoid multi-GB file transfers, unless I decide that I need to keep the original files for some reason.

#10 suvowner

suvowner

Ranger 4

Posted 19 April 2018 - 01:31 AM

Is there a new Raspberry Pi with USB 3.0? All models, that I know of, only have USB 2.0.

could be using one of these

https://www.zdnet.co...0-and-4k-video/

#11 suvowner

suvowner

Ranger 4

Posted 19 April 2018 - 01:51 AM

Sounds interest. The price is going to be an interesting question

100-200 dollars

#12 suvowner

suvowner

Ranger 4

Posted 19 April 2018 - 07:49 AM

I toyed with a Raspberry Pi 3 for a while but found the lack of USB 3.0. comparative dearth of software and generally low resources (CPU, memory etc) were very limiting  for EAA (meaning it wasn't up to it). I do wonder just how much the ASIair will be capable of.

I have since gone to an Intel NUC i3, mounted on the 'scope, and I am VERY pleased with it. Everything (FireCapture, SharpCap, Cartes du Ciel, AutoStakkert, RegiStax etc) runs on the NUC which I access remotely at my desk via Windows RDP. An NUC i5 would have handled the load with more to spare but the i3 gets the job done, with longer battery life. By processing captured images on the NUC, I avoid multi-GB file transfers, unless I decide that I need to keep the original files for some reason.

The iPad Pro should have the horsepower to do livestacking....astrolive for Mac worked great, the Asiair does show the debayer option, just need a little background extraction and stacking and you would be good I think, would be so handy to eaa wirelessly from the iPad 

#13 wargrafix

wargrafix

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Trinidad

Posted 19 April 2018 - 12:27 PM

its the platesolving that is very interesting

#14 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 19 April 2018 - 03:19 PM

Astrometry can run on a RPi3. I assume they just built all of this on top of Linux. 

• tkottary likes this

#15 Rac19

Rac19

Apollo

Posted 19 April 2018 - 03:26 PM

The iPad Pro should have the horsepower to do livestacking....astrolive for Mac worked great, the Asiair does show the debayer option, just need a little background extraction and stacking and you would be good I think, would be so handy to eaa wirelessly from the iPad 

It’s always best to keep an opren mind naturally, but I do wonder about the lack the lack of USB 3.0 for larger resolution sensors.

An optimised mix of processing on the Pi and iPad/Mac/PC could well work. By the way WiFi bandwidth (even 801.11ac) is a potential bottleneck for raw image capture, so again an optimised mix of processing on the Pi  and tablet/PC would be important.

I use Raspberry Pi for a few applications around the house and wouid be happy to use one on the ‘scope. An Intel NUC is obviously more costly than a Pi but it does work well and opens up a wide choice of software.

#16 jhayes_tucson

jhayes_tucson

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Bend, OR

Posted 19 April 2018 - 07:13 PM

My first thought:  So much for the iOptron mount centering the CG of the OTA over the pier!  That thing looks completely out of balance.

I've got a friend who is just getting into AP and he's very interested in this product.  I'd love to hear more about it from anyone who sees it at NEAF.

John

Edited by jhayes_tucson, 19 April 2018 - 07:13 PM.

#17 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 19 April 2018 - 07:42 PM

You can look at the Stellarmate as well.
  • Rankinstudio likes this

#18 ac4lt

ac4lt

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Virginia

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:05 PM

I could see that being useful for visual astronomers that don't want to fuss with goto alignment also. Tell it where you want to go and use a camera on the guide scope to plate solve and get it centered for the eyepiece like imagers do. It will be interesting to see what this can do for imaging though. Might make some setups much simpler...if it works.... :)

• FiremanDan likes this

#19 suvowner

suvowner

Ranger 4

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:49 PM

It’s always best to keep an opren mind naturally, but I do wonder about the lack the lack of USB 3.0 for larger resolution sensors.

An optimised mix of processing on the Pi and iPad/Mac/PC could well work. By the way WiFi bandwidth (even 801.11ac) is a potential bottleneck for raw image capture, so again an optimised mix of processing on the Pi  and tablet/PC would be important.

I use Raspberry Pi for a few applications around the house and wouid be happy to use one on the ‘scope. An Intel NUC is obviously more costly than a Pi but it does work well and opens up a wide choice of software.

per the flier this new device will have full usb 3.0 support.......it looks like the device will save the images on the micro sd card in the raspberry/clone.....

to do live stacking it would have to transfer the image files to the iPad, and then asiair app or another app on the iPad  would/could do the livestacking......would be so cool to do some eaa untethered with the iPad 

on the video it looks like a done deal for routine image capture

#20 ac4lt

ac4lt

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Virginia

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:54 PM

would be so cool to do some eaa untethered with the iPad 

Actually you can today....sorta...

I use a NUC to do image acquisition but it doesn't have a screen and keyboard like a laptop. Instead I use a program called Jump Desktop to access the NUC via RDP. I use Jump because it supports the Citrix X1 (may be misremembering the model) bluetooth mouse so I can actually use a mouse with it on the iPad. The NUC may be tethered to the mount but since I'm using WiFi to access the NUC it feels untethered. I haven't tried doing EAA that way mostly due to the lack of an appropriate camera (I'm imaging with a DSLR) but it works well with polemaster and sgp.

#21 Rac19

Rac19

Apollo

Posted 19 April 2018 - 10:18 PM

Actually you can today....sorta...

I use a NUC to do image acquisition but it doesn't have a screen and keyboard like a laptop. Instead I use a program called Jump Desktop to access the NUC via RDP. I use Jump because it supports the Citrix X1 (may be misremembering the model) bluetooth mouse so I can actually use a mouse with it on the iPad. The NUC may be tethered to the mount but since I'm using WiFi to access the NUC it feels untethered. I haven't tried doing EAA that way mostly due to the lack of an appropriate camera (I'm imaging with a DSLR) but it works well with polemaster and sgp.

Agreed. That is what I have, as per #9. It's really cool, after initial alignment, to be able to do everything from the comfort of my desk, indoors and away from the cold, mosquitoes etc. The NUC is much more expensive that an RPi but it remains to be seen just how much ZWO will charge for the value add (in addition to the ZWO logo on the frontsmile.gif) that they put into it.

See https://www.cloudyni...l-setup/page-28 posts #676, #680 and #696.

Edited by Rac19, 20 April 2018 - 04:33 PM.

#22 suvowner

suvowner

Ranger 4

Posted 20 April 2018 - 02:43 PM

Agreed. That is what I have, as per #9. It's really cool, after initial alignment, to be able to do everything from the comfort of my desk, indoors and away from the cold, mosquitoes etc. The NUC is much more expensive that an RPi but it remains to see how much ZWO will charge for the value add (in addition to the ZWO logo on the front) that they put in it.

See https://www.cloudyni...l-setup/page-28 posts #676, #680 and #696.

Good points, but the idea of an iPad native app is a lot easier to work with than an iOS app emulating a desktop in my experience, this is not likely a solution for long exposure imaging, as they mention wide field , so for hyperstar imaging esp if in alt/az mode this would be great I think , just would be so cool if I could live stack those images as well

#23 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 21 April 2018 - 12:08 PM

I just saw this at NEAF and according to Sam it will be about $150 for the box but it only comes with USB2. No live stacking yet but that is coming. Also there is built in PHD-lite guiding too. So you could have a completely remote, untethered device for EAA with image transmission to an IPad or android device. It is a very interesting product for outreach and for EAA.

Al
  • RedLionNJ, saguaro, bdyer22 and 1 other like this

#24 suvowner

suvowner

Ranger 4

Posted 21 April 2018 - 01:36 PM

I just saw this at NEAF and according to Sam it will be about $150 for the box but it only comes with USB2. No live stacking yet but that is coming. Also there is built in PHD-lite guiding too. So you could have a completely remote, untethered device for EAA with image transmission to an IPad or android device. It is a very interesting product for outreach and for EAA.

Al

cool thanks for the update.....I definitely want one !!

#25 mikefulb

mikefulb

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 April 2018 - 09:37 AM

Wonder if it is just a rebranded Stellarmate.

• Rankinstudio and ThatsMyCoffee like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics