•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ZWO - ASIAIR

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#26 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 22 April 2018 - 02:01 PM

Wonder if it is just a rebranded Stellarmate.

Wow nice pickup Mike... it looks exactly like the stellarmate box. But it seems to have some custom software for image acquisition and camera control.

Al

#27 suvowner

suvowner

Ranger 4

• Loc: Arkansas

Posted 22 April 2018 - 03:41 PM

it looks like both are using the same raspberry pi hardware and case, but the zwo is software written for iOS, whereas the stellar mate is written for mac/windows os , if you had just the software from either one, you could probably use both solutions interchangeably on the same raspberry pi device just by switching out the micro sd card.....

the zwo is also designed to work with sky safari  on the iPad which is a very nice iOS  and mac os app......

Edited by suvowner, 22 April 2018 - 03:43 PM.

#28 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Gemini

• Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 22 April 2018 - 06:15 PM

Confirming the report above where Sam quotes a probable price of around $150, maybe available in three months.

Lacking USB3, it's definitely aimed at DSO CMOS imagers. But if you want to minimize dangling cables everywhere, it sure does sound like a nice solution you can velcro to the OTA. Probably more positives than negatives for the DSO imager with a CMOS ZWO cam.

#29 Rac19

Rac19

Apollo

Posted 22 April 2018 - 07:11 PM

Wow nice pickup Mike... it looks exactly like the stellarmate box. But it seems to have some custom software for image acquisition and camera control.

Al

It might just be that they are both Raspberry Pi based and happen to use the standard RasPi case. Badge engineering is also a possibility of course.

#30 scooke

scooke

Explorer 1

Posted 22 April 2018 - 08:51 PM

I saw it today as well and Sam said it would be available in July.  It's a generic Pi case.  It even has the symbol imprinted.  I have the exact same case at home I used for a DAKBoard.  I want one as well.  $100-200 is what I was told.  He also said it would be for DSO only, not planetary as it couldn't keep up with the frame rate.  He said it would be for both imaging and mount control.

#31 Rac19

Rac19

Apollo

Posted 22 April 2018 - 09:10 PM

I saw it today as well and Sam said it would be available in July.  It's a generic Pi case.  It even has the symbol imprinted.  I have the exact same case at home I used for a DAKBoard.  I want one as well.  $100-200 is what I was told.  He also said it would be for DSO only, not planetary as it couldn't keep up with the frame rate.  He said it would be for both imaging and mount control.

Being. RasPi enthusiast, I attempted to use it for planetary imaging a year or so ago and it just wasn’t up to it. You really need USB 3.0 for that. I have only just started with DSOs, but the first thing that I noticed is that the frame rate was orders of magnetude slower.

#32 suvowner

suvowner

Ranger 4

Posted 22 April 2018 - 09:13 PM

Being. RasPi enthusiast, I attempted to use it for planetary imaging a year or so ago and it just wasn’t up to it. You really need USB 3.0 for that. I have only just started with DSOs, but the first thing that I noticed is that the frame rate was orders of magnetude slower.

what about the clone rasPi that claim usb 3.0 ??

#33 Rac19

Rac19

Apollo

Posted 22 April 2018 - 10:30 PM

what about the clone rasPi that claim usb 3.0 ??

I think that it would then depend on it has enough CPU power, memory etc to save a large quantity of data coming it at a fast rate.

I have never owned one so I can't say. By the way, WiFi bandwidth (even 802.11ac) can be a limiting factor for high resolution, high speed image capture, so that would need to be done on the Pi for at least the more extreme cases.

I should also clarify something about the need for USB 3.0 for planetary imaging. This applies to high resolution sensors (APC or four-thirds senors) at full frame size. Even for Planetary (or more correctly Solar System) imaging, excluding the Moon and the Sun, I use full frame only for live-view while zeroing in on the planet and switch to a much smaller Region of Interest (ROI) for image capture. I would think that USB 2.0 might be good enough for that although I have never tried it.

#34 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 25 April 2018 - 09:46 AM

Here is a pic of the device in action from NEAF

Al

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2773.JPG

• Lamia likes this

#35 suvowner

suvowner

Ranger 4

Posted 25 April 2018 - 10:11 AM

so does anyone know if either the stellarmate or the asiair could be used to drive the explore scientific pmc-8 system using mac os or iOS ?? 

#36 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 25 April 2018 - 11:09 AM

so does anyone know if either the stellarmate or the asiair could be used to drive the explore scientific pmc-8 system using mac os or iOS ?? 

I am not familiar with that mount, but if it can be driven via ASCOM or a with skysafari's box then it will work with the asiair and i imagine with stellarmate too

• Rankinstudio likes this

#37 suvowner

suvowner

Ranger 4

Posted 25 April 2018 - 11:13 AM

I am not familiar with that mount, but if it can be driven via ASCOM or a with skysafari's box then it will work with the asiair and i imagine with stellarmate too

isn't ascom a windows thing ?? I am a mac person, and refuse to use windows.....

#38 Rankinstudio

Rankinstudio

Gemini

• Loc: Southern UT

Posted 25 April 2018 - 03:36 PM

I started with a RP3 running INDI (same as stellarmate) then switched to a Rock64. It is a great solution if you are looking for remote control over home wifi and not freezing your tail off all night. I love the setup. Using Kstars Ekos and INDI you can pretty much automate an entire night with Ekos Scheduler. 

http://www.rankinstu...I_Raspberry_PI3

Definitely the best way to do astronomy wink.gif

Capture.JPG

Edited by Rankinstudio, 25 April 2018 - 03:50 PM.

• RedLionNJ, l_stoian79, Lead_Weight and 1 other like this

#39 suvowner

suvowner

Ranger 4

Posted 03 June 2018 - 04:40 PM

https://bbs.astronom...php?f=33&t=8013

#40 ThatsMyCoffee

ThatsMyCoffee

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Czech Republic

Posted 04 June 2018 - 08:40 AM

isn't ascom a windows thing ?? I am a mac person, and refuse to use windows.....

I believe it's a communication protocol, not specific to Windows.  I could be wrong.

#41 suvowner

suvowner

Ranger 4

Posted 06 June 2018 - 03:06 AM

I believe it's a communication protocol, not specific to Windows.  I could be wrong.

https://www.youtube....h?v=Se88i3Cs6M0

#42 ThatsMyCoffee

ThatsMyCoffee

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Czech Republic

Posted 06 June 2018 - 03:54 AM

So it IS a protocol.  Which means it could be used on other operating systems.  Just not Apple.

#43 Rac19

Rac19

Apollo

Posted 06 June 2018 - 05:04 AM

I have a feeling that ASCOM is Windows only. The Mac/Linux equivalent seems to be INDI.

#44 suvowner

suvowner

Ranger 4

Posted 06 June 2018 - 02:34 PM

the fact that asi air is iOS native to run from an iPad is awesome.......

• Maryland Mike likes this

#45 jimistephen

jimistephen

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 21 September 2018 - 01:17 PM

Okay, I have a few things to add...

1. The Explore Stars PMC8 can be used with any software that uses the ASCOM library.

2. The PMC8 and the mounts for it connect with serial/DB9 cables. So it MIGHT work with the mounts if you could get the correct adapters. One uses a Male on the PMC8 to female on the mount and the other one is reversed.

3. ASCOM is a protocol, but the people who run ASCOM only support C#/Windows. I'm not sure if you can put it in a C# Mono project for macOS. I think there is a JAVA implementation out there somewhere, but I'm not sure. If someone wanted to write a library in another language all they would have to do is conform to the protocol and they should be able to do whatever ASCOM C# can do with another language.

Sorry if I'm talking over your heads, I'm a programmer and it happens sometimes when I talk to non programmers.

Also, if anyone has a copy of the StellarMate OS or the ASiair OS I'd like to get my hands on a copy to see what is going on in there. band2.sml.gif

Edited by jimistephen, 21 September 2018 - 01:22 PM.

#46 ThermalSeeker

ThermalSeeker

Vostok 1

• Loc: Hickory, NC

Posted 21 September 2018 - 01:40 PM

Also, if anyone has a copy of the StellarMate OS or the ASiair OS I'd like to get my hands on a copy to see what is going on in there. band2.sml.gif

Jasem Mutlaq sells the Stellarmate OS for $49 from his siteThere's no need to pirate or try to rip off the guy.  You can almost compile everything yourself if you're familiar with linux for free.  He is also on cloudynights as knro.

There is a PMC indi driver available as well.

#47 Gert

Gert

Ranger 4

Posted 21 September 2018 - 01:48 PM

Hi All,

My first thought: So much for the iOptron mount centering the CG of the OTA over the pier! That thing looks completely out of balance.

I've got a friend who is just getting into AP and he's very interested in this product. I'd love to hear more about it from anyone who sees it at NEAF.

John

Is anyone else observing that so many of the advertising photos of this mount type show the scope pointing to Polaris? There aren't so many interesting things to observe there.

Or would another posture of the mount look unfavorable?

Clear Skies
Gert

Edited by Gert, 21 September 2018 - 06:30 PM.

#48 mikefulb

mikefulb

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 September 2018 - 02:18 PM

As the author of the PMC8 INDI driver I would like to mention I think it is ready for testing but so far I might be the only user.  :)

• ccs_hello, knro, Gary Z and 1 other like this

#49 HDV

HDV

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: TOKYO, JAPAN

Posted 23 January 2019 - 07:02 AM

Hi, this is my first comment in cloudynights.smile.gif

Recently, I have customized a chassis of ASiAir.
It's very easy and useful for the equipment.

More detail is described in my blog (Sorry, in Japanese).

Thank you.

MOD chassis of ZWO ASi air

MOD chassis of ZWO ASi air

• mumbles likes this

#50 Batwingtech

Batwingtech

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 February 2019 - 05:42 PM

I've got one, and the connections are working with the PMC-8 on my iEXOS-100, however I'm not sure how accurate the slewing is.  I've read in the io forums that the ASI group is testing with this mount.  The weird thing is that it doesn't seem to grab the lat-long-time data properly from my iPad.  I'm going to be doing some more testing in the next week or so.  Has anyone here used this product with an iEXOS-100 mount by ES?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics