•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ZWO - ASIAIR

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#51 corwin

corwin

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 10 March 2019 - 05:36 PM

So it IS a protocol.  Which means it could be used on other operating systems.  Just not Apple. 

Well, yes and no.  The problem is that quite often, people start writing code before thinking through (thoroughly) the data model and portability of what they are doing.  Things developed on WIndows tend to fall into that trap quite regularly.

The problem is that ASCOM is really tightly tied into a bunch of Windows tooling.  While there is a wire protocol component, the only way its really getting rendered is through Windows proprietary technology.  So, one COULD do an independent implementation, but it would be much more work than just doing it the 'right way' from scratch.  There would also be no guarantee that future versions of the 'mother' project wouldn't break all your hard work.

The alternative, INDI can be run on anything, ASCOM, much to many folks annoyance will probably always be just a Windows tool.

#52 Phillysoc

Phillysoc

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 14 March 2019 - 05:40 PM

the fact that asi air is iOS native to run from an iPad is awesome.......

I just got it and I use my Ipad as well and I have to say it is pretty awesome.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics