•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Thinking about going to NEAF...

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Henry from NZ

Henry from NZ

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 18 April 2018 - 01:21 PM

Hi I am from New Zealand and I am currently having a family vacation in DC, but we will be taking a train to NYC this Saturday. I just realise that this is the same weekend of NEAF. I have heard lots about it but I have never been to one, so I don’t know what to expect. I am tossing whether I should divert one day of our itinerary there, but I am mindful that my wife does not like astro stuff and I have a 7 and a 6 year old with me. I am also mindful that we only have a few days in NYC so diverting one day from it means less time available to sightsee elsewhere.

What else are there apart from the talks on the programme?

What kind of kids activity do they have there?

How much time would one normally spend there?

What is the best way to get there by public transport, or is uber the way to go?

Personally I am keen to visit the vendor stands to check out new products and may be pick up some bargains. My main interest is astrophotography.

Edited by Henry from NZ, 18 April 2018 - 01:23 PM.

#2 The Ardent

The Ardent

Aurora

• Moderators
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 18 April 2018 - 01:23 PM

The solar observing is held outside and free to the public.
  • Pinbout likes this

#3 schmeah

schmeah

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Morristown, NJ

Posted 18 April 2018 - 01:33 PM

Only three days in NYC, IMO the greatest city in the world.... Wife doesn’t like astronomy ... kids ... 

I personally wouldn’t spend a day in Suffern, NY. It’s a great event for us dweebs, but not enough for the family to do while you play in the toy store. By the same token, if I were in New Zealand for a week, I wouldn’t spend a day traveling to an astronomy expo either.

Derek

• JimMo and bobito like this

#4 rustynpp

rustynpp

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NYC

Posted 18 April 2018 - 02:26 PM

Yeah, given all the variables I would say skip it. There are a billion things to do in the city!

Here are some of my favorite resources for finding things to do, in any price range.

https://www.timeout....&viewstate=list

https://www.villagevoice.com/datebook/

https://www.clubfreetime.com/

#5 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama & Gold Star Award Winner

• Moderators
  • Loc: montana

Posted 18 April 2018 - 02:29 PM

Since there is a dedicated forum for Astronomy shows, this thread will be moved there.

#6 Pilot87178d

Pilot87178d

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Central Maryland, USA

Posted 18 April 2018 - 03:49 PM

Only three days in NYC, IMO the greatest city in the world.... Wife doesn’t like astronomy ... kids ... 

I personally wouldn’t spend a day in Suffern, NY. It’s a great event for us dweebs, but not enough for the family to do while you play in the toy store. By the same token, if I were in New Zealand for a week, I wouldn’t spend a day traveling to an astronomy expo either.

Derek

Have to concur.....a valuable day that could be spent in some many places!  Don't get me wrong...NEAF is no day-trip from NZ, however, with the family in tow, stick to the wonders of Gotham.  So much to do and see!

Also, the Hayden Planetarium and 360 star show will likely "wow' the family...a real crowd pleaser.  Always impresses when I entertain folks in the city. 

Marc

Edited by Pilot87178d, 18 April 2018 - 03:51 PM.

• schmeah likes this

#7 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Cosmos

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 18 April 2018 - 05:29 PM

I'll take a different view here. Assuming you are into astro stuff. (I'm not so much, and have plenty of opportunity to visit the city--one of the great cities of the world--so I do not know if I would do what I am suggesting here. ) 

Wake up in New York on Saturday, and jump on a train at Penn Station (or bus at the Authority). Get a Taxi from Suffern station to NEAF. Take the kid with you. 

Meanwhile, the Mrs. can go off to some museum or shopping or something near the hotel.  There has to be something she wants to do that you may not be into--even the bus tour of the city!!!

It is 90 minutes away to Suffern. Three hours at NEAF. 90 minutes back to the city. (With a rental car, it is even less,  but then you have to deal with a car in the city.)  You are back in the city by four in the afternoon.....plenty of time for more New York.

Alex

• schmeah likes this

#8 cmbtsmrf

cmbtsmrf

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Mississauga, Ontario

Posted 18 April 2018 - 05:36 PM

My opinion, family first. The old saying of happy wife, happy life is true. With limited time, enjoy the city with your family. Take the kids all over and then take the wife to a nice restaurant for dinner and have a great time.

This way later if your want to buy astro toys for yourself, you can try to use it as leverage. Might work.

Seriously, have fun in the city with your family.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

#9 Henry from NZ

Henry from NZ

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 18 April 2018 - 06:03 PM

Thanks for the tips and advice. I think at this stage I will Iikely give it a skip as it is a long 24 hour flight to the east coast of USA and I may not come back for a little while. Sightseeing probably trumps astro expo. Unless the wife has something else she likes to do by herself...

#10 The Ardent

The Ardent

Aurora

• Moderators
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 18 April 2018 - 06:11 PM

Henry
I normally charge $50 for an autograph. Since you’re coming from so far away, I’ll give you one for free.
Regards
Ray
  • charotarguy likes this

#11 PXR-5

PXR-5

ISS

• Loc: NC

Posted 18 April 2018 - 08:21 PM

You could take NJ Transit, (rail), there, but as others have said, Why? Go to the Hayden, your family will like that :)

Edited by PXR-5, 18 April 2018 - 08:24 PM.

#12 RAC-INC

RAC-INC

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 18 April 2018 - 08:29 PM

Henry -

If you do come we do have many "children's activities."  Not so much for the "disinterested spouse" though....

Dan

#13 Pinbout

Pinbout

ISS

Posted 20 April 2018 - 06:24 PM

I’d let the family do whatever in the city and go. Family goes first so go I’d go to NEAF.

#14 Starry Messenger

Starry Messenger

Sputnik

• Loc: Central Vermont

Posted 06 October 2018 - 08:06 PM

Henry: Well, just how long do you want to stay married? Since NEAF is now something like 80% involved with astro-imaging, it would be difficult to keep the rest of their family interested. Now that said, how would your wife look in a nice new paid of Ethos earrings? Perhaps a Glatter Collimator necklace? Meteorite handbag? Judge that over an “I Luv NY” hat, or “Make the Knicks Great Again” t-shirt!

Now don’t get me wrong, maybe your wife would love to return to NZ on a ship, accompanied by an enclosed cargo trailer, stuffed with a new 25-inch Obsession and 210mm Lunt solar telescope! And, that’s not to mention all the new astrophotography equipment hiding in the new luggage you had to buy.

Seriously, I think you could leave your wife and kid(s) in NYC at a play, Broadway (Empire State Building), etc., while you rent a car and go to NEAF; Suffern, NY is really not that far from Manhattan (NYC). Don’t spend a whole day, but 4-5 hours will give you a good feeling of having been there, picking up literature, talking with exhibitors that interest you. At $25 a pop, your family is not going to get $50 or more worth of knowledge and excitement out of NEAF. NEAF lists the exhibitors ahead of time, so you can research them before you attend (NEAF hands your a map of where the exhibitors are located in the hall/gymnasium), and if you bring a cell phone or iPad, you can take photos of anything that interests you. This itinerary could work for you.

#15 Henry from NZ

Henry from NZ

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 06 October 2018 - 10:33 PM

For posterity I did not go at the end.

#16 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 07 October 2018 - 10:26 PM

For posterity I did not go at the end.

Which means you now have 6 months to make up your mind on NEAF 2019! wink.gif

Edited by George N, 07 October 2018 - 10:26 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics