•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Intes Micro no more?

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#26 lylver

lylver

Viking 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: near Geneva but in France

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:37 PM

After 15 months my order for a high end MN68 is definitively blocked by russian administration.

So you can only get scopes now from existing stock.

I am waiting for a proposition.

#27 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Skylab

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 15 May 2018 - 09:19 PM

Maybe used I-M scopes now will be worth a bit more on the used market?  

Bill

#28 JakeJ

JakeJ

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 15 May 2018 - 10:47 PM

Maybe used I-M scopes now will be worth a bit more on the used market?  

Bill

They have always been undervalued on the used market.  The Mak-Newts are top tier optics.  

• JoshH likes this

#29 Mazerski

Mazerski

Explorer 1

• ****-

Posted 15 May 2018 - 10:55 PM

Based on the title of Post...

I met Markus Ludes at NEAF last month as I have the Intes M715 that I purchased from him (APM) in May 2016 - he offered to make an adjustment on the scope. He said no more Intes scopes as the optician retired. 

• JakeJ, CharlesStG and Bill Barlow like this

#30 Phil Barker

Phil Barker

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: hokitika New Zealand

Posted 16 May 2018 - 12:34 AM

thats sad but the price of my beautiful 1008 just went up when I decide to sell.

The zeiss apq comes to mind.

Based on the title of Post...

I met Markus Ludes at NEAF last month as I have the Intes M715 that I purchased from him (APM) in May 2016 - he offered to make an adjustment on the scope. He said no more Intes scopes as the optician retired. 

#31 JohnH

JohnH

Mercury-Atlas

• ****-
  • Loc: Squamish BC Moved!!!!!

Posted 19 May 2018 - 09:15 AM

I would seriously consider the 8" f/10 Intes in stock, if still in stock.  Placing a custom order now seems risky for the Deluxe.  And in what I've seen, none of these scopes, standard or deluxe, has a mediocre RMS.  Some may be less than 1/8 wave ptv, but the RMS is usually about 0.027 or better and RMS is what counts as it's closely proportional to Strehl.  Wolfgang Rohr has tested quite a few Intes Maks and posted the results. For instance, he tested three M715 scopes, like mine. Two were deluxe and one was standard. The standard was the best of the three! But it did not have exotic glass, so it was a standard.  My standard has a ptv of 0.117 wave and an RMS of 0.024 which calculates to a strehl of nearly 0.98 -- I have no deluxe envy.  Cheers!

I was planning on selling my 8" f/10 Intes to a CN user who was visiting Washington State and wanted to bring it home with him but found the asking price of $3800 including a custom African Mahogany case and a small trove of hard to find Intes accessories like the 60mm Maksutov finder scope a bit high, even after I had sent it in to a well regarded shop for cleaning, lubrication and adjustment for around $700. Bryce, the person from Markarian Fine Optics, told me this was their "standard" version but shared some of the Deluxe features like the focus mechanism.

Having it back on my mount in the yard a few days ago has been a treat. I was too tired to use it at night, so just watched rock climbers in the daylight and marveled at how clear the view was. Glad I didn't sell it.

Note: More recently, Bryce fixed the electrical issue with aa motofocus and did a clean, lubricate and adjust to my other Maksutov, a MN-76 Intes Micro

Edited by JohnH, 19 May 2018 - 09:30 AM.

#32 JoshH

JoshH

Viking 1

• Loc: Jefferson City, MO

Posted 19 May 2018 - 10:24 AM

Well that confirms I will probably never sell the IM scopes I still own. Makes me wish I hadn't passed up on a few others in the past. 

#33 JohnH

JohnH

Mercury-Atlas

• ****-

Posted 19 May 2018 - 10:48 AM

https://www.cloudyni...76-intes-micro/

#34 ecloud

ecloud

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Dalian, China

Posted 25 June 2018 - 09:32 AM

I have been hesitating to purchase one last year in October, but the delivery time was one year, so I just purchased a Synta one, saving also 1000 euros. It's true that they disappeared from the APM website, as far as I understand the Mak-Cass left there (as referenced in the message of Luxo II) are customized ones from APM, not full Intes-Micro ones.
I hope they are not out of business, it was nice to have another player with good quality around, + able to deliver large size maks.

oh dude, the exactly same story ...
I had ordered a MN74 on 2014.4 and received it on 2015.3
The reason Markus told me is that LZOS and IM had summer vacation(in Russia???) each a month.

I will never buy even a screw from them.

#35 JohnH

JohnH

Mercury-Atlas

• ****-

Posted 28 June 2018 - 10:58 AM

oh dude, the exactly same story ...
I had ordered a MN74 on 2014.4 and received it on 2015.3
The reason Markus told me is that LZOS and IM had summer vacation(in Russia???) each a month.

I will never buy even a screw from them.

Quicker than AP and their "vaporware" 10" Maksutov.

#36 Timothy Ma

Timothy Ma

Explorer 1

• Loc: Vancouver, BC

Posted 02 July 2018 - 09:26 PM

I waited about 3 years before I found a used one locally (MN-66) and as soon as I bought it a MN-86 showed up.  I tried raising it on to the HEQ6 mount and said no way.  Price was right but now I have regrets not buying it.

Timothy 

#37 VPilot

VPilot

Vostok 1

• Loc: Tehachapi, California

Posted 03 July 2018 - 10:07 AM

I hope everyone will forgive a bit of musing by me here, but it occurs to me this thread (which is not unique to this product line) is like a test tube study of human psychology.    Simply because it may no longer be available a scope has suddenly become a must-have by the same buyer who passed on it for any number of reasons in the past.   Another person who was about to sell said scope - I assume due to lack of use or desire to use - does an about face and decides to keep the unused or unwanted scope simply because it will be harder to come by.   This thread should be mandatory reading for any student of psychology.  By the way,  I'm pointing the finger at myself as well - guilty as charged.  But it's still fascinating to witness when others do the same.  Makes me feel normal I guess.

Tim

VPilot

• JohnH, doctordub, Phil Cowell and 3 others like this

#38 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 03 July 2018 - 04:12 PM

I hope everyone will forgive a bit of musing by me here, but it occurs to me this thread (which is not unique to this product line) is like a test tube study of human psychology.    Simply because it may no longer be available a scope has suddenly become a must-have by the same buyer who passed on it for any number of reasons in the past.   Another person who was about to sell said scope - I assume due to lack of use or desire to use - does an about face and decides to keep the unused or unwanted scope simply because it will be harder to come by.   This thread should be mandatory reading for any student of psychology.  By the way,  I'm pointing the finger at myself as well - guilty as charged.  But it's still fascinating to witness when others do the same.  Makes me feel normal I guess.

Tim

VPilot

Happens all the time with discontinued Astro-Gear.

Also, Markus confirmed the demise of Intes Micro in the Vendor Forum

#39 luxo II

luxo II

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 07 July 2018 - 06:53 AM

I hope everyone will forgive a bit of musing by me here, but it occurs to me this thread (which is not unique to this product line) is like a test tube study of human psychology. Simply because it may no longer be available a scope has suddenly become a must-have by the same buyer who passed on it for any number of reasons in the past. Another person who was about to sell said scope - I assume due to lack of use or desire to use - does an about face and decides to keep the unused or unwanted scope simply because it will be harder to come by.

Tim... there is a tacit assumption behind what you’re implying that these scopes are commodity items and replaceable - they’re not.

My Santel MK91 is one of just 28 made and I know of no other owner of one. Optically it is superb and I’m upgrading it with new focusser and recoating the mirrors. Would I swap it for a larger SCT ? No.

Replaceable ? No.

Edited by luxo II, 07 July 2018 - 06:57 AM.

• Tyson M likes this

#40 Phil Barker

Phil Barker

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 07 July 2018 - 08:49 PM

test report.jpg My 10 inch intes micro is similar superb instrument definitely better than a c11 I owned now no longer available l will keep it and savor it for the years to come possible recoat it at some stage and repaint the tube but keep original as poss.

coatings OK but will not last forever  where are you getting the Santel  recoated??

Edited by Phil Barker, 07 July 2018 - 09:05 PM.

• Tyson M likes this

#41 Marcsabb

Marcsabb

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 08 July 2018 - 02:00 AM

Ih a few years they'll become a collector item... Better keep my M603 in good shape. You'll never know how much somebody is going to pay for it in a few years lol.gif laugh.gif

#42 CharlesStG

CharlesStG

Viking 1

• Loc: Providence, RI

Posted 08 July 2018 - 08:37 AM

Intes-Micro was a curious company in the sense they produced truly superb optics but seemed totally clueless when it came to marketing, service and parts. The scope mechanics were generally robust, military grade and incorporated some fairly ingenious innovations like their split ring, captive-screw-type focuser which in the brass and aluminum version works very well and with zero image shift! Not even my Questar can match that! And how many manufacturers give an interferometry report with their OTAs here in the states or anywhere for that matter? Pretty much none! When their dealer in the USA closed shop and interested buyers were forced to deal with APM in Germany, I knew the end of I-M was only a matter of time. I thank the opticians of I-M -- their work will live on for very many years to come in treasured views.  I don't consider my IM715 worth a penny more than it was yesterday, however. Lack of replacement parts will keep prices on these low since not many want a scope without any way to fix it, if needed.  On the other hand, my Questar maintains high value precisely because Questar is still with us and has wonderful customer service!  IM scopes are only for the do-it-your-selfer ATMer, now more than ever!  I love mine, but few feel enthusiastic about the number of times I've had to take mine apart to make it right and keep it that way.

• Phil Barker likes this

#43 Edd Weninger

Edd Weninger

Apollo

• -----

Posted 08 July 2018 - 11:31 AM

Intes-Micro was a military manufacturer, not a true commercial manufacturer, which slightly evolved when the Wall came down.  Their failure attempting commercialization is understandable to me.

Fortunately, Markus at APM, working with Matthias Wirth, has built many custom, quality scopes which have excellent optics, high quality engineering OTA design and will have support for many years to come (though I've not needed any since mine was built).  APM was not the cause of the retirement of the I-M chief optician.

I don't believe the value of my scope will increase in value, but it will be harder to duplicate today.

Cheers,

Intes-Micro was a curious company in the sense they produced truly superb optics but seemed totally clueless when it came to marketing, service and parts. The scope mechanics were generally robust, military grade and incorporated some fairly ingenious innovations like their split ring, captive-screw-type focuser which in the brass and aluminum version works very well and with zero image shift! Not even my Questar can match that! And how many manufacturers give an interferometry report with their OTAs here in the states or anywhere for that matter? Pretty much none! When their dealer in the USA closed shop and interested buyers were forced to deal with APM in Germany, I knew the end of I-M was only a matter of time. I thank the opticians of I-M -- their work will live on for very many years to come in treasured views.  I don't consider my IM715 worth a penny more than it was yesterday, however. Lack of replacement parts will keep prices on these low since not many want a scope without any way to fix it, if needed.  On the other hand, my Questar maintains high value precisely because Questar is still with us and has wonderful customer service!  IM scopes are only for the do-it-your-selfer ATMer, now more than ever!  I love mine, but few feel enthusiastic about the number of times I've had to take mine apart to make it right and keep it that way.

#44 VPilot

VPilot

Vostok 1

• Loc: Tehachapi, California

Posted 08 July 2018 - 04:05 PM

Tim... there is a tacit assumption behind what you’re implying that these scopes are commodity items and replaceable - they’re not.

My Santel MK91 is one of just 28 made and I know of no other owner of one. Optically it is superb and I’m upgrading it with new focusser and recoating the mirrors. Would I swap it for a larger SCT ? No.

Replaceable ? No.

By virtue of the fact you indicate no desire now or in the past to dispose of your scope, I don't believe you'd be counted among those I referred to.   I am specifically addressing those who have previously passed over opportunities to buy Intes-Micro scopes when they came up (likely due to better scopes or values being available at the same time), or those who now own one and planned to sell it (likely due to non-use or dislike) but now have changed their minds.   Surely you can see the overall humor in the situation.

Anyway, you are right about this:  I do believe that scopes are indeed commodities and the vast majority of them are replaceable.   Even a few of those that aren't common and maybe one or two like yours could not be found again easily are still obtainable in time or at a price.  But I propose that whatever the purported performance of any scope is now or in the future, there is invariably an alternate choice that will deliver exactly the same or better performance at any given time for similar or less money.  That is unless you happen to by the curator of a scope museum or the owner of a family heirloom.

Tim

VPilot

Edited by VPilot, 08 July 2018 - 09:41 PM.

#45 luxo II

luxo II

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 09 July 2018 - 09:24 PM

Hi Phil, I’m in Sydney, Australia. https://palmwayoptical.com is where they will be done, have been in touch with them.

I’ll drive the optics there and back as it can be done while you wait and I’m not trusting these to couriers.

One aspect of this scope is that being a Rumak the secondary is removable from the corrector for coating. Not sure how hard it would be to get a Gregory-Maksutov recoated as an accurate mask is needed.

With production ceasing of the Russian optics ... does this mean the Intes scopes now qualify for the Classic Scopes forum ?
  • Phil Barker likes this

#46 vahe

vahe

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 09 July 2018 - 09:45 PM

Hi Phil, I’m in Sydney, Australia. https://palmwayoptical.com is where they will be done, have been in touch with them.

I’ll drive the optics there and back as it can be done while you wait and I’m not trusting these to couriers.

Just a word of caution for recoating optics.

The process of removing existing coatings are fairly simple and not too risky, but a certain types of enhanced coatings are not easy to remove and their removal can damage the glass substrate.

This happened to my TEC Mak, fortunately the scope was not in my possession when TEC discovered that the enhanced coatings applied to their Maks were defective and had to be stripped and reapplied. After stripping the enhanced coatings the substrate was damaged and required refiguring the optics.
Again by way of caution if coatings on your Mak are useable I would leave them alone.

Vahe

#47 luxo II

luxo II

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 10 July 2018 - 08:17 AM

Fair point, it has crossed my mind before. Will do some more investigation. AFAIK the coatings were aluminium with SiO2 overcoat.

Edited by luxo II, 10 July 2018 - 08:18 AM.

#48 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• Loc: Third from the Sun

Posted 10 July 2018 - 10:58 AM

Last I heard, the company is still around, but only doing government (Russian military) work.

Same thing happened to Lomo some years earlier. 

#49 Phil Barker

Phil Barker

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:29 AM

I reakon both are now classic the 9 and the 10.  thanks for the link re the coating.

Re the recosting I've heard them being done and still performing fine  wouldn't be too concerned there.

One aspect of this scope is that being a Rumak the secondary is removable from the corrector for coating. Not sure how hard it would be to get a Gregory-Maksutov recoated as an accurate mask is needed.

With production ceasing of the Russian optics ... does this mean the Intes scopes now qualify for the Classic Scopes forum ?

#50 Joves

Joves

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:56 AM

How would an Intes Micro 8” Mak Cass, like the 203/1200 compare to, say a Tec MC200 f15.5?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics