•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

strained glass

ATM beginner
  • Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#51 KLWalsh

KLWalsh

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: North Georgia, USA

Posted 09 May 2018 - 06:53 AM

Greeting all
I was finally able to see the strain in my practice glass. I tried every pair of sunglasses I had laying around none were polarized of course. I purchased a cheap pair from the dollar store to see if they would work. I knew this glass had strain because I was told that on the classified page. I place the glass in front of my computer screen and ran paint with a white screen put my new glasses on and with anticipation saw very faint shadows. I was confused and started to figure the glasses were not that polarized, it's suppose to have some pretty good strain. Then for some reason when I started taking them off I seen it. For some reason I had to turn the glasses about 45 deg. to see it.
DSCF0007.JPG

" For some reason I had to turn the glasses about 45 deg. to see it."
Some newer LCD screens have the polarizers at 0 and 90 degrees, but for years the front and rear polarizers on LCDs were at +/-45 degrees. Many new ones still have the polarizers at +/-45. It's due to the internal structure of LCDs and the need to create a more-or-less symmetric viewing cone for the typical user.

#52 KLWalsh

KLWalsh

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 09 May 2018 - 06:58 AM

Greeting all
I was finally able to see the strain in my practice glass. I tried every pair of sunglasses I had laying around none were polarized of course. I purchased a cheap pair from the dollar store to see if they would work. I knew this glass had strain because I was told that on the classified page. I place the glass in front of my computer screen and ran paint with a white screen put my new glasses on and with anticipation saw very faint shadows. I was confused and started to figure the glasses were not that polarized, it's suppose to have some pretty good strain. Then for some reason when I started taking them off I seen it. For some reason I had to turn the glasses about 45 deg. to see it.
DSCF0007.JPG

Some newer LCD screens have the polarizers at 0 and 90 degrees, but for years the front and rear polarizers on LCDs were at +/-45 degrees. Many new ones still have the polarizers at +/-45. It's due to the internal structure of LCDs and the need to create a more-or-less symmetric viewing cone for the typical user.
Polarized sunglasses have their polarization axes vertical, to block horizontally polarized light. So, to get the maximum cross-polarization effect with your LCD screen, you'd have to tilt your head at 45 degrees.

#53 KLWalsh

KLWalsh

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 09 May 2018 - 06:52 AM

Greeting all
DSCF0007.JPG

• Augustus likes this

#54 Pinbout

Pinbout

ISS

• Loc: Montclair, NJ

Posted 09 May 2018 - 09:24 AM

I am still learning star testing but if I am interpreting it correctly it does have a turned edge, but even with that I can still resolve 6 stars in the trapezium.

sketch it and post it.

#55 Astro Daddy

Astro Daddy

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Orange, Virginia

Posted 09 May 2018 - 04:22 PM

sketch it and post it.

I will Danny when I can get back to it. It doesn't get dark until late and I have to get up for work at 4:30am So the universe and time off have to align.

John

#56 Pinbout

Pinbout

ISS

• Loc: Montclair, NJ

Posted 09 May 2018 - 04:56 PM

830 is dark enough

#57 Astro Daddy

Astro Daddy

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Orange, Virginia

Posted 10 May 2018 - 05:45 AM

830 is dark enough

MohKay bow.gif lol.gif waytogo.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ATM, beginner

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics