•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New BT series from Oberwerk

• Please log in to reply
301 replies to this topic

#51 Beg

Beg

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rocky Mountains

Posted 29 April 2018 - 07:25 PM

Wonder if my girlfriend will loan me $2500 Dollars hmm.gif

• Boki likes this

#52 Jawaid I. Abbasi

Jawaid I. Abbasi

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: LEVITTOWN, PA

Posted 29 April 2018 - 07:48 PM

I think, Kevin did the right thing and the more info. should go in the vendor forum but the best way is to get and review.

I wish, I review without any bias but this thing is out of my pocket. Perhaps, someone will do in near future.

One thing that I add is that I have bought from Oberweck in the past and I was not disappointed in performance or build quality and I am guessing that this new product will be the same as the others in the past.

#53 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 30 April 2018 - 03:54 AM

One thing that I add is that I have bought from Oberweck in the past and I was not disappointed in performance or build quality and I am guessing that this new product will be the same as the others in the past.

I agree-good service , good products, good experience with Kevin.

edj
  • Mike G. and jerobe like this

#54 GamesForOne

GamesForOne

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Knoxville, TN

Posted 30 April 2018 - 01:24 PM

[...]

One other thing; maybe at this point in time we should identify our binos based on the actual effective aperture? It seems long past due industry-wide. Perhaps call the new binos BT-80XL or BT-96XL?  undecided.gif

[...]

Thanks,

Rich

I can understand a slight reduction in effective aperture for CA control for the non-ED objectives. I do not understand why you'd do that for a bino with ED objectives (perhaps because of the short focal length?). But, in reality can we really see a reduction of 2 to 4mm aperture? Sort of like your same question about full illumination... is that something we can really see?

---

Michael Mc

#55 Beg

Beg

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 30 April 2018 - 02:06 PM

As one who is going to splurge on one of these new 100mm binos, I'm basically just going to use it for sweeping the star fields and nebula. I really have to ask if ED glass at $1000 added cost is really worth it. Is it that much sharper than something like the new Orion?  Is ED really needed on star fields ?

I have my C9.25 with my Binotron 27 for everything else. Do you really need ED?

Edited by Beg, 30 April 2018 - 02:18 PM.

#56 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northern Arizona, USA

Posted 30 April 2018 - 03:12 PM

As one who is going to splurge on one of these new 100mm binos, I'm basically just going to use it for sweeping the star fields and nebula. I really have to ask if ED glass at $1000 added cost is really worth it. Is it that much sharper than something like the new Orion?  Is ED really needed on star fields ?

I didn't. I have the new version of the APM Semi-Apo and they are truly outstanding for star fields, clusters and the larger brighter DSOs. I think you may be able to nudge another 50x out of the ED version, but that's not what I bought them for. I have an ED120 and 14" dob telescopes for that.

• Nightfly and SMark like this

#57 Pinac

Pinac

Apollo

• Loc: Switzerland

Posted 30 April 2018 - 03:19 PM

......... I'm basically just going to use it for sweeping the star fields and nebula. I .....

...... Do you really need ED?

My opinion: no.

Or, a bit more precisely: it depends on your personal requirements, tolerance to CA, etc. and of course the objects of observation etc.

Star fields at low to medium magnifications don‘t require ED in my view (I even use my non-ED Vixen BT-81 more often than the BT-70 ED, even at 30x to 40x).

• Mr. Bill, Jawaid I. Abbasi and SandyHouTex like this

#58 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Cosmos

• Loc: Northeastern Cal

Posted 30 April 2018 - 04:29 PM

OTOH, even at medium powers, stars are more pinpoint with APO glass because of the lack of color smearing from CA, and you have the option of pushing the magnification if you wish.

Also, maybe the APO lenses are better polished, QA better than non APO lenses.

The $400 difference between the two Oberwerk 82s may be worth it just to know you've picked the best option optically; a year from now the cost difference will be "lost in the noise."

shrug.gif

• Beg, Rich V. and J1M like this

#59 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

• Loc: Lancashire UK

Posted 30 April 2018 - 04:34 PM

Don't forget that when explaining the decision to stick to 45 degree design, Kevin did tell us that many of his customers are daytime terrestrial users, whom I suspect may be even more appreciative of the ED glass than astro users will be.

Kenny

• Rich V. and Jawaid I. Abbasi like this

#60 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 30 April 2018 - 06:38 PM

The $400 difference between the two Oberwerk 82s may be worth it just to know you've picked the best option optically; a year from now the cost difference will be "lost in the noise."

shrug.gif

For me I would always wonder if I made a mistake with the cheaper 82,
and the most expensive option would be saving $400 initially ,
and THEN getting the other one later.

edj

#61 Beg

Beg

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 30 April 2018 - 07:03 PM

I understand about the $400 cost difference between the 82's, but the $1000 cost difference vs performance is slightly a different matter with the 100's. But Kenny's and Mr.Bill's post kind of reminded me what I already knew. Quality pays off. And if you're going to do it, just do it right. I've looked through my Tak and Miyauchi enough to know that's true.
  • Mr. Bill, EverlastingSky and oldmanrick like this

#62 GamesForOne

GamesForOne

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Knoxville, TN

Posted 01 May 2018 - 08:18 AM

I often use the 100mm binos as my only optic at dark sky star parties. I have done side-by-side comparisons and the ED version coaxes a bit more detail and goes ~1/2 magnitude deeper than the non-ED version. Push the magnification and the difference in sharpness becomes quite noticeable. That little bit of improvement for my primary optic is worth it to me.

If you are using the binos as only a low-power complement to other scopes, then the non-ED will suit you just fine.

---

Michael Mc

#63 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 01 May 2018 - 10:58 AM

............... Quality pays off. And if you're going to do it, just do it right. I've looked through my Tak and Miyauchi enough to know that's true.

thus the saying "get the best optics you can reasonably afford"

edj
  • Beg likes this

#64 Frank Kidder

Frank Kidder

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 May 2018 - 09:36 PM

Other than price and portability is there a reason to get the 82 over the 100?  Field of view perhaps?  I ask because I currently have the 25x100 Deluxe which, if I recall, has an aperture of something like ~72mm by my rough flashlight test, so either model would be a step up in light gathering and CA.  I can afford the 82XL and 'sort of' afford the 100XL.  I suppose I'm looking for a excuse to buy up.

#65 Mark9473

Mark9473

Voyager 1

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 02 May 2018 - 02:29 AM

Are you certain that you are remembering correctly that your 25x100 has an effective aperture of only 72 mm? That would be more a value for a cheap 20x80. I don't recall ever hearing about such massive aperture loss as the one you're suggesting.

#66 Frank Kidder

Frank Kidder

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:54 AM

I am not certain. I did a rough estimate with my limited abilities from reading about how to test with a flashlight.

My concern was whether or not I would be disappointed going to a smaller aperture but better optics in the 82XL.

I was speculating that I might not be disappointed given what i think might be the actual aperture of the 25X100 Deluxe.  I am curious about what it might actually be but don't want to take this thread off topic.

#67 OBERWERK

OBERWERK

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: OH

Posted 02 May 2018 - 09:48 AM

Other than price and portability is there a reason to get the 82 over the 100?  Field of view perhaps?  I ask because I currently have the 25x100 Deluxe which, if I recall, has an aperture of something like ~72mm by my rough flashlight test, so either model would be a step up in light gathering and CA.  I can afford the 82XL and 'sort of' afford the 100XL.  I suppose I'm looking for a excuse to buy up.

Effective aperture on our 25x100 Deluxe is 95mm.  

#68 garret

garret

Surveyor 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Netherlands

Posted 02 May 2018 - 11:34 AM

95mm effective aperture of the full 100mm... do you mean this binocular has only 5% light loss? (coatings, prism) this would be a outstanding value.

Garrett

#69 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 02 May 2018 - 11:42 AM

95mm effective aperture of the full 100mm... do you mean this binocular has only 5% light loss? (coatings, prism) this would be a outstanding value.

Garrett

I think you're misinterpreting Kevin's statement.  All he said is the effective aperture is 95mm.  Reflective and glass losses are another thing altogether.

Rich

• StarDustBin likes this

#70 OBERWERK

OBERWERK

Vendor

• Vendors

Posted 02 May 2018 - 11:50 AM

Garrett

Does not account for light loss from anti-reflection coatings, this is just the effective aperture per the beam-expanded laser test.  

#71 Frank Kidder

Frank Kidder

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 May 2018 - 01:36 PM

Kevin, thanks  you are correct.  I was measuring my 20X80.  Don't ask me how I confused the two.  Sorry about the rathole.  Now I need to find my 25X100.

#72 OBERWERK

OBERWERK

Vendor

• Vendors

Posted 02 May 2018 - 02:20 PM

Kevin, thanks  you are correct.  I was measuring my 20X80.  Don't ask me how I confused the two.  Sorry about the rathole.  Now I need to find my 25X100.

The 20x80 Deluxe III is 76mm.  

#73 Beg

Beg

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 02 May 2018 - 06:56 PM

It would be nice to have a non ED BT100 XL in your arsonal Kevin. For people like me. Really love your new designs with this bino, and I want one. But all I want it for is a lower power MW scanner as a compliment to my C9.25, and a C11 with my Denk Binoviewer. It would hit a sweet spot for me.

I imagine for a lot of people, this will be their main instrument. But for a lot of us, it isn't. I know ED glass is nice, but for what I'm after, I don't really need it or want to pay for it. $2500 is a lot of money as a bino alternative. A non ED 100 with your new design, and quality, in the $1800 give or take range, would be very nice. I refuse to order from Europe.

So please make me one in Grey wink.gif flowerred.gif flowerred.gif flowerred.gif

#74 Frank Kidder

Frank Kidder

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 May 2018 - 09:54 PM

Kevin, can you tell me the dimensions of of the BT-100XL-ED?  The product page indicates 29 x 15 x 12 in.  I suspect that is for the case.

#75 ThomasM

ThomasM

Viking 1

Posted 03 May 2018 - 12:59 AM

This is entirely our own design, has been in the works for 3 years now.  I repeat once again for all the speculators- all Oberwerk binoculars, except for the Ultra Series and BT-70-45, come from our own assembly plant in Kunming.  The BT-70-45 is from another manufacturer 2 blocks from us.  United Optics has never made (or sold) an Oberwerk product.  

The prisms are huge, the effective aperture on the BT-82XL-ED is 80mm.  

What is the idea of effecive aperture, why do you sell a 80 mm binocular under the name of 82 or a 76 mm under the name of 80?

• Mad Matt likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics