•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

jupiter and ganymede bad seeing 16"f7 asi 224 adc 2x barlow

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: sebastian fl

Posted 26 April 2018 - 02:15 AM

just like most people dodge clouds i seem to be dodging trains the second to last one pased during my last capture the last train a few minuits ago when i processed the last image. Im just not getting the same details as last year is it me or is the swgrs even smaller and weaker then last year usually theres a bunch of turmoily looking clouds swirling about. I need to also learn how to process the moons seperatly.I lost allot of details from processing 

2018-04-26-0552_5-L_AS_f5000_g6_ap51_2.jpg

2018-04-26-0619_4-L_AS_f4000_g6_ap15_2.jpg

2018-04-26-0624_9-L_AS_f3000_g6_ap55_2.jpg  

• Achernar, sfugardi, h2ologg and 19 others like this

#2 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 26 April 2018 - 02:38 AM

...some nice details there Mr. Ferret! :waytogo:

#3 wargrafix

wargrafix

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Trinidad

Posted 26 April 2018 - 04:44 AM

Nice detail!

#4 FLT-Astro

FLT-Astro

Lift Off

• Loc: TN, USA

Posted 26 April 2018 - 05:47 AM

Nice pics... and nice quotes Kokatha man.

#5 wargrafix

wargrafix

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Trinidad

Posted 26 April 2018 - 07:22 AM

For some reason, seeing is really good, but I find Jupiter kinda "soft" this year. Is it just me?

• yock1960 likes this

#6 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 26 April 2018 - 09:39 AM

For some reason, seeing is really good, but I find Jupiter kinda "soft" this year. Is it just me?

no it isn't I could even swear the swgrs or some what great red spot has shrunk ieven more since last year by even looking at these images. perhaps in another 2 years itl be the same size as oval ba . as I stated at the top of the thread there doesnt seem t be much of a wake after th grs the wake itself usualy has more detail . last week the grs had a white pointy cloud coming off of it this week its gonre and then there is that whole white band between the gs and oval ba I wonder if oval ba is the culprit for the grs getting smaller ??? it could alsso just be jupiter is real low I havent seen to many images from the southern half of the world

#7 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 26 April 2018 - 12:02 PM

heres a slightly better one

2018-04-26-0613_6-L_AS_f4000_g6_ap53_conv_2.jpg

• charotarguy likes this

#8 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 26 April 2018 - 12:39 PM

Hi Mr Ferret - last one looks a bit over-"sharpened". The softer look as in the earlier ones is preferable, I think.

And that sure doesn't look like "bad seeing" to me. A little soft, perhaps, but still on the better side of average (at least in my book).

Your 2nd or 3rd image above look like they could maybe be processed a tad more - can you share a TIFF (out of AutoStakkert) somehow?

• moonwatching ferret likes this

#9 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 26 April 2018 - 02:51 PM

I generally don't like working with JPEGs, as the data has already been compromised due to the compression used for display purposes, but I was able to take your 2nd image from above and do a little to it.... again, as always, individual tastes may vary. Even my personal preference fluctuates back and forth between 'soft' and 'almost crisp', depending on my mood and the purpose (in my mind) for the image....

new_ferret_jupiter.jpg

So, in my opinion, your data is pretty awesome.

• AstroDan2015 and charotarguy like this

#10 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 26 April 2018 - 05:21 PM

If I get time i will post a couple of tifs via drop box. I am just doig fast processing . I also think I may be over doing deconvolution thaat ganymede should have a wealth of detail instead of a round ball with a black dot at center . how did you get those colors ....please don't saay photoshop lol

#11 AstroDan2015

AstroDan2015

Viking 1

• Loc: Racine, Wisconsin

Posted 26 April 2018 - 05:47 PM

Hi Joe,

Jupiter images #2 & #3 are simply spectacular!

Both are natural looking and are very similar to an eyepiece view, plus they reveal lots of fine detail. Well done! waytogo.gif

Cheers, Dan cool.gif

#12 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 26 April 2018 - 07:28 PM

**** thanks dan for the kind compliments. anyone on this thread that does imaging knows how much work it is to get one image an i do apretiate comments and try to coment on other threads but between what little work i get and taking care of my 89 year old mother pluss having to take care of the house and do all the chores my time is pretty full

#13 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 26 April 2018 - 08:11 PM

If I get time i will post a couple of tifs via drop box. I am just doig fast processing . I also think I may be over doing deconvolution thaat ganymede should have a wealth of detail instead of a round ball with a black dot at center . how did you get those colors ....please don't saay photoshop lol

I didn't do anything to adjust the colors - I just de-noised and sharpened. That concentrates the colors as well as the detail.

I see a bit more than just a round ball with a black dot at the center, for Ganymede. But I'm also not sure how much is real and how is artifact.

#14 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 26 April 2018 - 08:39 PM

I think artifact . i over did deconvolution

#15 lukasik

lukasik

Vanguard

• Loc: Dacula, Georgia

Posted 27 April 2018 - 12:06 PM

Fantastic images you've been putting up with that 16" - look forward to lots more.

#16 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 28 April 2018 - 04:52 PM

Hi Mr Ferret - last one looks a bit over-"sharpened". The softer look as in the earlier ones is preferable, I think.

And that sure doesn't look like "bad seeing" to me. A little soft, perhaps, but still on the better side of average (at least in my book).

Your 2nd or 3rd image above look like they could maybe be processed a tad more - can you share a TIFF (out of AutoStakkert) somehow?

I posted a bunch of tifs in a seperate thread a couple of days ago. I thought with so many having bad seeing due to how low Jupiter is this year The thread would have got some action by now. i posted tifs with and without deconvolution still no action

#17 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 28 April 2018 - 05:03 PM

I am getting a fforcast of 5/5 seeing during the wee hours of the am . I wonder with jove so close to opposition if i should clean my optics but i dont want to loose colimation so I think for now I will leave it as is. Im not so much woried about jupiter as i am abot imaging mars and Saturn can wait another month or 2. if I can image mars tomorow morning itl be the biggest i'v ever imaged it.

unfortunately my moms condition is worsening and if I got aong well with my sister I would call her up and see if she wants to come down here and find or look for a good asistd livving situation but if i did that my stupid sister wants to throw me out on the streets. thats the thanks I get for taking care of mom 24 7 I dont know what to do. I have a phone apointment with some care group that send help for free but there is a waiting list 

#18 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wexford, Ireland

Posted 28 April 2018 - 05:42 PM

I hurriedly downloaded one of your tifs 2 days ago but when I tried sharpening it it came out pretty rotten, probably my inexperience with good tifs, tbh. But I’ll retry. Thanks v much btw. Didn’t you see my “like” btw?

Thanks Ferret!!

#19 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 28 April 2018 - 05:56 PM

yes i did and thanks I had a re try with this one its definitely detail on ganymede but to properly bring out the detail of Jove itself i loose details in ganymede so i did these 2 on the soft side

2018-04-26-0624_9-L_AS_f3000_g6_ap55_4.jpg

2018-04-26-0624_9-L_AS_f3000_g6_ap55_conv.jpg

#20 Achernar

Achernar

Voyager 1

• Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA

Posted 29 April 2018 - 10:46 AM

Very nice, and impressive rendering of detail on Ganymede. Once during a period of very good seeing, I actually made out hints of markings on Ganymede visually through my 15-inch dob at 400X.

Taras

#21 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 29 April 2018 - 01:26 PM

Very nice, and impressive rendering of detail on Ganymede. Once during a period of very good seeing, I actually made out hints of markings on Ganymede visually through my 15-inch dob at 400X.

Taras

That's very possible. I swear I saw the comet shoe maker level 9 over a long period next to or I should say near Jupiter, I thought it was an edge on galaxy but after the comets discovery i realized what I may have been watching. Anyway I am not sure what Jupiter's size was at impact but I remember seeing massive amounts of details in my 12 incher wish I had my asi 224 mc back then and of course a laptop lol 

#22 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 29 April 2018 - 01:58 PM

Im not sure If my seeing conditions are better then last year or my processing has improved but I could not find a decent image from last year of Jupiters swgrs with the eddies or wake visible. one thing I do notice and im sure plenty of other imagers notice is the lack of detail on Jupiter this year so my guess is this is were we all make a contribution to science. although the jpl lab and NASA  have there fancy space probes and telescopes its the Armchair astronomers who provide a steady stream of detailed images on forums like this one so here is an image from last year of the grs and its wake to compare with this year as proof the grs is definitely weakening or at least appears to be. I was looking through some pics in my photos file and found the image emil himself posted here from the mount du midi of Jupiter last year but i dont want to post another persons image if they might get upset. his image showsthe wake but comparing that image to one of mine is like making comparisons of jupiter between a small refractor and large scope so I posted this pic... I hope I saved some tifs fom last year lol

2018-04-26-0624_9-L_AS_f3000_g6_ap55_4.jpg

july5pmjupiter12802_AS_f3700_e11111111_ap39_5jupiters grs wake 2017.jpg

Edited by moonwatching ferret, 29 April 2018 - 02:09 PM.

#23 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 29 April 2018 - 02:10 PM

i have to flip the bottom image no time right now i'll do it latr

#24 AstroEthan

AstroEthan

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cibolo, Texas, United States

Posted 29 April 2018 - 07:11 PM

Im not sure If my seeing conditions are better then last year or my processing has improved but I could not find a decent image from last year of Jupiters swgrs with the eddies or wake visible. one thing I do notice and im sure plenty of other imagers notice is the lack of detail on Jupiter this year so my guess is this is were we all make a contribution to science. although the jpl lab and NASA  have there fancy space probes and telescopes its the Armchair astronomers who provide a steady stream of detailed images on forums like this one so here is an image from last year of the grs and its wake to compare with this year as proof the grs is definitely weakening or at least appears to be.

Whoa, slow down there Mr. Ferret! It's already well-established that the extent of the activity there has nothing to do with the strength of the GRS. In fact, it completely disappeared in 2007, 2009, and many times before!

You (and anyone else that hasn't read them) should consider reading reports about activity on Jupiter's surface by Dr. John Rogers. Interesting reads if you can make the time!

#25 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 29 April 2018 - 08:21 PM

did it disapear or just get covered by clouds like the s eq band did

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics