•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NEAF 2019 April 6 & 7

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 RAC-INC

RAC-INC

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 April 2018 - 10:15 AM

Already started the planning for the next NEAF!!  It takes more than a full year to assure everything is as perfect as possible...  Mark the dates on your calendar now!!  Dan

• George N, John O'Grady, jtjtjtjt and 1 other like this

#2 M11Mike

M11Mike

Viking 1

• Loc: Ballston Lake, NY

Posted 27 April 2018 - 10:54 AM

Dan - THANK YOU --- 2018 was great.  Broke my 'piggy-back' but who cares --- it was soooooo much fun and I got some great stuff.  The vendors and the speakers - all great.  The venue - superb.  Only favorable impressions in all respects....you're doing everything "just right".

Special thanks to the fine folks at Sky & Telescope and Lowell Observatory.  And to all the folks at NEAF.  THANK YOU.

Dan - I have a question for you....the summer star party in NW MASS....can one come and OBSERVE for just ONE EVENING???  I would arrive late afternoon (like 4-5 PM) and depart like at 3AM.  Cost for this???

Mike P - Ballston Lake, NY 

#3 Megrez

Megrez

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Cote-St-Luc (Montreal), Quebec, Canada

Posted 06 September 2018 - 12:27 AM

Hello, is there someone to contact if I would like to present at NEAF 2019, my friend and I already presented a 3-D Mars movie about 10 years ago and we have a new project. We dealt with Alan Traino at the time.

-Appreaciated

#4 Megrez

Megrez

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 January 2019 - 01:03 AM

Hello, is there any contact information for presenting at this year's NEAF 2019?

#5 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 07 January 2019 - 07:09 PM

Perhaps you should p/m the topic starter here.? It would probably cause an email to show on his phone and then he might know to check this...? I cant wait to start planning for NEAF   T-minus 90 days and counting

#6 Megrez

Megrez

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 January 2019 - 07:12 PM

Hello, I've tried that already. Also sent a Messenger via FB. My Friend and I have presented a 3-D Mars Movie at NEAF about 10 years ago, we have a new documentary we are hoping to show.

:)

#7 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 07 January 2019 - 07:25 PM

David

I will pleased to see your new documentary at NEAF.in April. Not sure what is going on with planners  but time waits for no one. I wish you luck and hope to see some positive responses to your inquiries soon.

Barry

#8 Megrez

Megrez

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 January 2019 - 07:41 PM

Thanks! If we don't get to show it I will send you a link to watch it on Vimeo. Its based on the 2017 Eclipse experience.

#9 Bob Moore

Bob Moore

Vendor (NEAIC - North East Astro Imaging Conference)

• Vendors
  • Loc: New York

Posted 30 January 2019 - 08:19 PM

Thanks! If we don't get to show it I will send you a link to watch it on Vimeo. Its based on the 2017 Eclipse experience.

David, I sent the info & link you sent me over to the NEAF people as you asked, If you have not heard back from them there is not a lot i can do to help at this time.

#10 SSGT GLand

SSGT GLand

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Boston MA area

Posted 21 February 2019 - 11:05 AM

Hello to all,

I am hoping that someone can tell me if they permit RV parking at NEAF?

This will be my first time going and the only RV site that I can find is 50 miles from there.

Thank you kindly 

• sink45ny likes this

#11 paul hart

paul hart

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 50 M East of NYC

Posted 21 February 2019 - 09:47 PM

Hello to all,

I am hoping that someone can tell me if they permit RV parking at NEAF?

This will be my first time going and the only RV site that I can find is 50 miles from there.

Thank you kindly 

RV parking should be OK as there  is plenty of parking.

#12 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Cosmos

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 22 February 2019 - 09:59 AM

Let's make a distinction between parking during the day, and parking it overnight...….

there is plenty of parking (it is a gym parking lot). But I would suspect that they do not allow overnight parking. '

Maybe the local Walmart does, though. 

Alex

#13 DennisK

DennisK

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Willowick, OH

Posted 22 February 2019 - 10:16 AM

Let's make a distinction between parking during the day, and parking it overnight...….

there is plenty of parking (it is a gym parking lot). But I would suspect that they do not allow overnight parking. '

Maybe the local Walmart does, though. 

Alex

I have seen RV's parked in the WalMart lot many times when I've been up for NEAF.

#14 Brianfromsyr

Brianfromsyr

Mariner 2

• Loc: Syracuse, New York

Posted 22 February 2019 - 01:16 PM

I was wondering the same. I wasn't intending to go this year but now I am dealing with a telescope purchase to be picked up there.
I have a nice tiny pop down trailer. I could even help deliver large purchases from Neaf to Syracuse and anywhere in between.

#15 Starkid2u

Starkid2u

Apollo

• Loc: East Syracuse, NY

Posted 23 February 2019 - 09:49 PM

RV parking should be OK as there  is plenty of parking.

You and I have had distinctly different experiences about parking at NEAF. Where is all this "space" you talk about? I haven't seen it and I've been coming to NEAF since 2004. If anything, it's gotten worse as NEAF has become more popular. Enlighten me as clearly, I've missed something. If you want parking, ESPECIALLY with an RV (which better be small), you'd better get there by 9 A.M., 10 at the latest. THAT'S been my experience. Sorry to disagree with you (and maybe confuse the respondent), but I only call 'em as I see 'em....

STARKID2U

#16 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 23 February 2019 - 10:10 PM

Rockland community college does have a large parking lot near the field house where NEAF is housed. There is also another smaller parking lot about 400m from that first parking lot. However, for an RV I would agree that you need to get there early as the parking lot does fill up quickly and given the space required for an RV you would want to secure a larger spot. You could call the community college and ask them too.

Al

#17 JIM262

JIM262

Explorer 1

• Loc: West Nyack, NY

Posted 24 February 2019 - 11:02 AM

Here is a map of the campus, plenty of parking in the back lot,  but as said before, call RCC about overnight RV parking.  NEAF is held in building #5 - Field House and the back lot (West Parking Area) has plenty of spots available.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2019 Campus Map.jpg

Edited by JIM262, 24 February 2019 - 11:09 AM.

#18 DennisK

DennisK

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Willowick, OH

Posted 24 February 2019 - 01:55 PM

I recall seeing trailers and RV's parked in the back (PARKING-WEST) lot several years ago but I thought that was for vendors only.  In fact one Sunday morning there was a fire in a trailer.  Anyway, as mentioned above, best to contact the college and find out the details.

• George N likes this

#19 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 25 February 2019 - 12:11 PM

I recall seeing trailers and RV's parked in the back (PARKING-WEST) lot several years ago but I thought that was for vendors only.  ….

The back lot right next to the building IS for vendors only, and they have a guard checking for vendors' pass at the entrance to that lot.

While the other back lots are often not completely filled - they are used mostly by vendors also because it is a very long walk from there to the entrance. I've seen a few RVs there, and also believed they belonged to Vendors.

I would not think showing up and expecting to 'camp' with an RV on the college property without permission would be a good idea. That would leave the school with insurance and security issues. Also -- remember that the area is used by students even on the weekend.

In the past we've had discussions about why not let vendors put scopes outside at night to at least look at the moon -- and one answer has been the college does not want the security responsibility (the other being the vendors are too tired).

#20 paul hart

paul hart

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 50 M East of NYC

Posted 27 February 2019 - 02:16 PM

You and I have had distinctly different experiences about parking at NEAF. Where is all this "space" you talk about? I haven't seen it and I've been coming to NEAF since 2004. If anything, it's gotten worse as NEAF has become more popular. Enlighten me as clearly, I've missed something. If you want parking, ESPECIALLY with an RV (which better be small), you'd better get there by 9 A.M., 10 at the latest. THAT'S been my experience. Sorry to disagree with you (and maybe confuse the respondent), but I only call 'em as I see 'em....

STARKID2U

One of the parking lots on the east side of the campus coming off of College Road has always been pretty wide open. I know because when I come in late, the lots by the field house are packed but that lot has always had lots of empty spaces. I havent made every year, but I have been to 4 or 5. I skipped last year as I was recovering from open heart surgery two weeks before. 

Edited by paul hart, 27 February 2019 - 02:17 PM.

#21 rodney

rodney

Vendor - Explora Dome

• Vendors
  • Loc: Asbury, NJ

Posted 27 February 2019 - 08:30 PM

For years there have been RV's parked in the back lot. Not the "vendor" lot. But farther away from the building John has been parking back there for as long as I can remember. Over the years I have seen 4-5 RV's. Last few years only 2. Those folks were there with vendors as support staff. That might make a difference. Either way, they have plenty of parking out back. 

Clear skies, 

#22 Bob Moore

Bob Moore

Vendor (NEAIC - North East Astro Imaging Conference)

• Vendors
  • Loc: New York

Posted 28 February 2019 - 08:15 PM

FYI, The Crowne Plaza reported that they are all but sold out. so i set up another block of rooms at the Hampton Inn & Suites Mahwah

Here is the web page address is: https://hamptoninn.h...ml?WT.mc_id=POG

Group Name: NEAF & NEAIC

Group Code: NEA

Check-in: 03-APR-2019

Check-out: 07-APR-2019

Hotel Name: Hampton Inn & Suites Mahwah

Hotel Address; 290 Route 17 Corporate Dr. Mahwah, New Jersey, 07430

Phone Number: 2018282031

#23 JimB1

JimB1

Explorer 1

• Loc: Central NJ

Posted 08 March 2019 - 03:21 PM

I am thinking of going up for the Saturday, it's about an hour and a half drive so I'm just going for the day.

Having never been to one of these, what should I expect? I mean is there anything I should make sure to check out? 

Thanks

-Jim

#24 Starkid2u

Starkid2u

Apollo

• Loc: East Syracuse, NY

Posted 08 March 2019 - 05:50 PM

I am thinking of going up for the Saturday, it's about an hour and a half drive so I'm just going for the day.

Having never been to one of these, what should I expect? I mean is there anything I should make sure to check out? 

Thanks

-Jim

Ha! Ha! Ha! Boy, are YOUR eyes gonna be dancing! O.K., starting with the gym, you should check out all the vendors. ALL of them. THEN, when you brain has had enough, AND it's NOT cloudy out, go outside and visit all the solar scopes set up.That'll calm you down before you start making your way to the lectures in the auditorium.

Break for lunch if you can before them. After the lecture, make your way back outside for another look at the Sun. Head on in after that back to the gym and the vendors. You always see more the second time through. Tell Scott Roberts of Explore Scientific that Brian sent you. Another lecture or two and you're done. The day's over. And you should be exhausted by then. Get your free mags and enter all the raffles you can, BTW...After that, you're a veteran.

STARKID2U

Edited by Starkid2u, 08 March 2019 - 05:51 PM.

• Jerry Hubbell, bob kelly, REC and 5 others like this

#25 kdesrosier

kdesrosier

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 March 2019 - 08:02 PM

Any word on a lecture schedule being released? We're only a month away but the schedule link on the NEAF website still says TBD.

• ryderc1 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics