•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Craigslist, eBay, and other vintage, classic telescope ads

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
707 replies to this topic

#701 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 31 May 2018 - 07:33 PM

Not me! Never wanted one, never had one. They are not my expectation of an instrument, but they are cute toys.

I used one for a while. The optics are better than most people claim they are, but still pretty poor. The mount is extremely rough and it is hard to get any kind of fine motion. The focuser is trash......

My 6" f/4.3 (which currently needs to be rebuilt) crushes an Astroscan on lunar/planetary and double stars, and can achieve a wider field with a 2" eyepiece.

#702 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• Loc: Zinzinnati

Posted 31 May 2018 - 07:34 PM

great on camping trips.  You can't hurt it and you can hold it in your lap to use it.   

Binoculars, lawn chair, and cold beer!

#703 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 31 May 2018 - 07:37 PM

Binoculars, lawn chair, and cold beer!

I suppose the latter might help one with ignoring the poor views and mechanics of the Astroscan........

#704 apfever

apfever

Aurora

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 31 May 2018 - 08:39 PM

I used one for a while. The optics are better than most people claim they are, but still pretty poor. The mount is extremely rough and it is hard to get any kind of fine motion. The focuser is trash......

My 6" f/4.3 (which currently needs to be rebuilt) crushes an Astroscan on lunar/planetary and double stars, and can achieve a wider field with a 2" eyepiece.

A two inch eyepiece on a 6" F4.3 would seem to be secondary shadow heaven. I suppose it could be spread around with a billion degree field of view but I don't do much eyeball and head turning to see a whole field now beyond 90 degrees. Vintage Celestron Ultimas are AFOV enough for me and I've kicked them around in side by side with the Nags.

Astroscan: late night, moon light, solo trip, way off trail, back bowl Rockies, steep, deep, conservative, and an astroscan on my sled. A few large bowls North of Jones pass. Turned of the sled and became nothing. pics somewhere

#705 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 31 May 2018 - 08:49 PM

A two inch eyepiece on a 6" F4.3 would seem to be secondary shadow heaven. I suppose it could be spread around with a billion degree field of view but I don't do much eyeball and head turning to see a whole field now beyond 90 degrees. Vintage Celestron Ultimas are AFOV enough for me and I've kicked them around in side by side with the Nags.

Astroscan: late night, moon light, solo trip, way off trail, back bowl Rockies, steep, deep, conservative, and an astroscan on my sled. A few large bowls North of Jones pass. Turned of the sled and became nothing. pics somewhere

At that f/ratio even a 24mm gives a 6mm exit pupil. These short Newts can get away in most cases without a 2" focuser.

-drl

#706 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 31 May 2018 - 08:52 PM

Even my 32mm Plossl barely shows the secondary shadow....... it's fine.......

#707 Dave Trott

Dave Trott

Mariner 2

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 31 May 2018 - 11:02 PM

Not a bad price considering all that you are getting:

https://www.cloudyni...entor-complete/

Zeiss is nice!

That is a great price with all those goodies! Believe me, I have assembled that same collection and spent several hundred dollars more.

#708 Ken Sturrock

Ken Sturrock

Cardinal Ximénez - NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!

• Administrators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 31 May 2018 - 11:40 PM

And on that fine deal, another monthly adventure draws to a close.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics