•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Very good seeing despite mist - Jove, Saturn & Mars.

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• topic starter
  • Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 02 May 2018 - 01:06 AM

Hi all - we drove out to the nearest Murray Mallee imaging location we use at Palmer despite the worry that errant clouds or mist were more likely there than at (say) Sedan or Bower, 1 to 2 hours further away.

Palmer is like that, for some reason misty clouds appear there more than Sedan for example which is only about 50 miles further North in similar country...Pat suggesting that the colour ASI224MC might be worth thinking about...

A short while after initial set-up we agreed that this was the best choice, because despite all of South Australia in drought-like conditions with hardly any rain at all this year, the air was saturated - the laptop table very wet from dew & the corrector (just cleaned!) fogged up immediately it was exposed.

By the time we were ready to attach the camera etc misty clouds were constantly passing through overhead...I'd forgotten just how much more savage the cool-down rate was mixing salt with the ice bag as we'd only used straight ice once this year to date - within about 1.5 hours the primary mirror was down to 5°C below the expected ambient & was still 2°C below when we began imaging with the 224MC...

Actually it was a pity that we didn't get out there & start a half hour or so earlier, notwithstanding the cool-down situation & that it was still well over an hour till culmination when we started anyway - but despite mist constantly dimming the onscreen feed during captures the first 5 captures displayed very good seeing conditions which we have only encountered once before this year...always wanting more & knowing that the conditions can be better, but still fairly satisfied nonetheless..! smile.gif waytogo.gif

We kept on capturing but there was a huge drop-off in seeing after those first 5 captures - this one (the 4th) being the best of these first 5.

We took a 1/2 hour break to get something warm into us then went back out to image Saturn, hoping the seeing might've improved somewhat...3/4 of an hour capturing dross rewarded us with 2 nice captures at the end before we decided that Mars would finish the night off nicely...& finish us off also - such tired old bodies we seem to have when we do an all-nighter these days! lol.gif

We think in the circumstances that the choice of the 224MC was wise under the prevailing circumstances that night, although I should add that regardless, it is still a very fine planetary camera! waytogo.gif

The first 2 images will probably need clicking on to display each at full scale...Ganymede with some albedo variations in the Jovian image...possibly the high Northern latitude storm - I haven't measured the one clearly revealed here - as well as other spots in the Saturn image...& a view of the Tharsis etc regions on Mars.

j2018-04-29_14-29_rgb_dpmTILT.png

s2018-04-29_18-34_rgb_dpm.png

m2018-04-29_19-32_rgb_dpm.png

• Cerberus, Richard McC, Sunspot and 56 others like this

#2 phileefan

phileefan

Viking 1

• Loc: Williamsport, PA

Posted 02 May 2018 - 01:27 AM

Very nice Darryl! I've got the scope out here tonight at the house, it's around 50°F at the moment! That's a little warmer than it's been here lately. Take care and have good trip!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#3 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Soyuz

• ****-
  • Loc: sebastian fl

Posted 02 May 2018 - 01:29 AM

about time you posted a couple of imageslol.gif . i was begining to think i was going to be the only one here posting pics ofJupiter from a large scope. I have a good question. I was looking at christopher go's Jupiter images I know he does long exposures rgb rgb rgb  his images have much more color then mine and I know most of your images are also rgb but this Jupiter isnt. how would i bring out the colors in my images better? they seem to lac color if i remember my red is aroind 61 and blue 99 but i would have to check the data sheet to confirm it. its not like there coming out with wrong color just very pale looking. btw you must have some awesome seeing that Jove blows away my best one yet what was your f ratio?

#4 Tom Glenn

Tom Glenn

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 02 May 2018 - 01:51 AM

Nice job Darryl! 

#5 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Wexford, Ireland

Posted 02 May 2018 - 02:19 AM

Ferret, increasing vibrancy and saturation post Registax is, I believe, one way to bring colour into your images. The 224 produces great images as you know but a downside is the somewhat poor colour reproduction.

Anaemic Paddy
  • moonwatching ferret likes this

#6 kbev

kbev

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Far, far east Mesa

Posted 02 May 2018 - 03:01 AM

Wonderful images Darryl, it's great looking at all of the squiggly detail of the rift in the STB following the GRS.  Oh and Saturn and Mars are nice too... lol.gif

#7 RAC

RAC

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Zealand

Posted 02 May 2018 - 03:13 AM

Very nice. I haven't had any good seeing this year so far, Only about three nights I could even see stars!

#8 StewartB

StewartB

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 02 May 2018 - 04:16 AM

Very nice Darryl.

The clarity is spectacular.

Stewart

#9 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 02 May 2018 - 04:30 AM

Thanks Mick, Ferret, Tom, Kevin, Raymond & Stewart...& for the "Likes" folks have posted - driving home from the shops a few minutes ago as we talked about when/where we might go next week - given that the weather permits - we did discuss a bit more about how we'd rate this night in hindsight now that the image processing is dispensed with.

Not sure about that but it is remarkably similar in Jovian aspect & outcome for this April 2nd image at Carrieton (below) almost 4 weeks earlier -  focus was very hard to achieve for these latest images for all 3 planets & it is usual to find that the better the seeing, the easier it is to focus - but something must have been making it difficult...although not the usual culprit of an image shifting radically in & out of focus...

Anyway, as is our wont we discuss these things ad infinitum..! rofl2.gif

Ferret, the FC logs declare that the f/l was a tad under 7000mm for this particular night... wink.gif

Just for fun I applied some wavelets to the Ganymede image & tried to get some sort of "semi-realistic" colour outcome - I must confess that the Ganymede image in the first post had that capture's image stacked with the other 4 captures of fairly similar qualities.....simple without rotational considerations, but I just applied a small amount of Unsharp mask to the RAW stacks of this moon out of AS!3...here I applied light wavelets in R6 & played with colour to create a 2x capture scale rendition..."a couple" of albedo markings consistent with various NASA etc images, but nothing "out of the box" as far as AA Ganymede images tbh...

j2018-04-02_17-13_rgb_dpm_ComparisonImage.png

GanyStack_FIN_Wlets.png

• PrestonE, doctordub, ArekP and 14 others like this

#10 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Wexford, Ireland

Posted 02 May 2018 - 05:14 AM

That’s gas, your Ganymede shows better detail than my Mars. Great images by the way, I’m looking forward to the next batch. You keep raising the bar for yourself, so no pressure 🤪

#11 aeroman4907

aeroman4907

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Castle Rock, Colorado

Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:28 AM

Excellent images Darryl!

#12 charotarguy

charotarguy

Apollo

Posted 02 May 2018 - 09:19 AM

Got misty eyed watching these images lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif . Excellent.

#13 AstroDan2015

AstroDan2015

Apollo

• Loc: Racine, Wisconsin

Posted 02 May 2018 - 12:03 PM

Hi Darryl,

Great images, please keep them coming!

#14 RBChris

RBChris

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Northern California

Posted 02 May 2018 - 01:55 PM

Excellent!

#15 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Soyuz

• ****-

Posted 02 May 2018 - 05:05 PM

Nice Gamynede

#16 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Soyuz

• ****-

Posted 02 May 2018 - 05:08 PM

Ferret, increasing vibrancy and saturation post Registax is, I believe, one way to bring colour into your images. The 224 produces great images as you know but a downside is the somewhat poor colour reproduction.

Anaemic Paddy

all saturation does is add alot of fals coloring i usuay just bump it up no more then 2 as for vibrancy where is it cant find anything with vibrancy???

#17 schu

schu

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Nebraska

Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:20 PM

Superb as always!

#18 pgandy

pgandy

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: South Florida, Lat 26.34

Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:31 PM

Great images, great narrative. The nice thing about working regularly with mediocre seeing like I do at my location is that you instantly know when good seeing comes along. Nice work.

Paul

#19 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 02 May 2018 - 08:16 PM

about time you posted a couple of imageslol.gif . i was begining to think i was going to be the only one here posting pics ofJupiter from a large scope. I have a good question. I was looking at christopher go's Jupiter images I know he does long exposures rgb rgb rgb  his images have much more color then mine and I know most of your images are also rgb but this Jupiter isnt. how would i bring out the colors in my images better? they seem to lac color if i remember my red is aroind 61 and blue 99 but i would have to check the data sheet to confirm it. its not like there coming out with wrong color just very pale looking. btw you must have some awesome seeing that Jove blows away my best one yet what was your f ratio?

Thanks Kev, a/man, Samir, Dan, RB, ferret, schu & Paul - appreciate your kind comments! smile.gif Thanks also for all the additional "Likes" posted! smile.gif

Sorry I didn't address your comments earlier Ferret but I think I've commented about this to you before: look at vibrancy as a sort of dynamic range adjustment...it selectively increases colour saturation whilst leaving saturated colours alone, giving a "more even" appearance...or as some would say, "vivid."

In P/shop it works effectively in tandem with saturation increases - but I understand that GIMP (freeware) has plugins & other methods where you can achieve similar outcomes...

I'm not a fan of those over-blown (imo) images with really ott colouration but that's just my personal opinion...I prefer keeping the images at smaller scale to provide what I (again a personal opinion!) consider is a nice balance: if you really want to see what the first image in this thread looks like at those sorts of scales all you need to do is save it & open it using "Windows Photo Viewer" (which is the default viewing option if you use a Windows operating system) by just double-clicking on an image. (no idea about Macs!)

Hit that central screen button (Play slide show...) as per the image below & you'll get a full screen image then - just remember to right click on the screen & hit "Pause" or it'll start a slide show through all you images...it's nice to look at the images at these types of scales occasionally, but not all the time imo! wink.gif

OpeningInWinPhotoViewer.png

• Lacaille likes this

#20 Redbetter

Redbetter

Voyager 1

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 03 May 2018 - 02:15 AM

The first 2 images will probably need clicking on to display each at full scale...Ganymede with some albedo variations in the Jovian image...possibly the high Northern latitude storm - I haven't measured the one clearly revealed here -

Finally got some clear sky tonight and thought I might have some usable seeing, alas the breeze returned and it was twinkle, twinkle at zenith.  I watched GRS transit anyway, and despite being limited to low power by the seeing, both the 110ED and the 60ED revealed that NEB storm as a prominent dark spot.  Lots of contrast even with the belt itself.  Of course I had little resolution...oh well. 

#21 troyt

troyt

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 03 May 2018 - 02:30 AM

Good images 

#22 rik ter horst

rik ter horst

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Zuidwolde, the Netherlands

Posted 03 May 2018 - 02:34 AM

Lovely images Darryl! I really like the way they have been processed; not too much!

Cheers from the Northern Hemisphere (also a bit jealous ;-))

#23 Lacaille

Lacaille

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Canberra

Posted 03 May 2018 - 05:41 AM

My goodness they are wonderful images. 

Just been poring over your imaging notes, Daryl, and learnt various things including that I have been doing RGB align wrong all this time!  So thank you once again!

#24 CPellier

CPellier

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 03 May 2018 - 06:13 AM

Excellent!

#25 RickV

RickV

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, ON, Canada

Posted 03 May 2018 - 06:58 AM

... how would i bring out the colors in my images better? they seem to lac color if i remember my red is aroind 61 and blue 99 but i would have to check the data sheet to confirm it. its not like there coming out with wrong color just very pale looking.

What I do in Photoshop is to change from RGB to LAB Color.  Then click on adjustments, levels.  In lab levels, there are three histograms; the bottom two colors are where you can make the magic happen.  You will see a histogram of your image with the main peak around 127 or so.  I pull up the low slider and pull down the high slider.

e.g. These are normally set at 0 and 255.  Try setting them at 40 and 215... whatever you add to the low, take away from the high.  You may need to play a bit.  Then do the same thing for the second color!

This procedure can really pump up the color saturation - far more than any other approach that I have found.

When happy with the result, remember to change from Lab color back to rgb color.

Best/Rick

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics