•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

RTMC Astronomy Expo 2018 - Big Bear California

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Matthew Ota

Matthew Ota

Hmmm

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Phoenix, Arizona

Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:16 AM

RTMC Astronomy Expo will be held at Camp Oakes, Big Bear California from Thursday, May 24 through Monday, May 28 2018. Information is here:

http://rtmcastronomyexpo.org/

Attached Thumbnails

• RTMC 2018 speakers.jpg

• Knasal and Cajundaddy like this

#2 Knasal

Knasal

Apollo

• Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:42 AM

Thanks for posting! A very respectable group of speakers talking on a wide range of subjects.

Wish I could be there - maybe someday. Looks like a great expo.

Kevin

#3 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Cosmos

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:32 PM

Don't Forget Bryan Cogdell on the Premium AstroImaging Workshop on Sunday. 

By the way, early (discount) registration closes this week. 

Alex

#4 nicoyenny

nicoyenny

Viking 1

Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:49 PM

I will be there, this is my third year! 

Look for me @ the field in front of the hangar across from the clubhouse. C8, ES ED 102, Subaru Outback and a bunch of other gear...

Will be bringing a nice little space exploration book authored and signed by Buzz Aldrin for the swap-meet  :)

See you guys there!

Getting ready to do planetary imaging, almost full moon, any DSO Ha targets to counter the evil orb presence?

#5 Mike Spooner

Mike Spooner

Vendor (mirrors)

• Vendors

Posted 02 May 2018 - 11:01 PM

RTMC Astronomy Expo will be held at Camp Oakes, Big Bear California from Thursday, May 24 through Monday, May 28 2018. Information is here:

http://rtmcastronomyexpo.org/

Actually Tom Taylor and I will be co presenting the 36" build. It's been an exciting project and we look forward to sharing the journey! 

Best,

Mike Spooner 

#6 MartinC

MartinC

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Grand Terrace, CA

Posted 07 May 2018 - 10:12 PM

More reasons to attend the Riverside Telescope Makers Conference this year:

Marc Raymon of JPL: Marc is a devoted amateur astronomer, and happens to be director and chief engineer of NASA's Dawn mission, and is speaking on Sunday night (May 27th). The Dawn spacecraft is making close approaches to asteroids Ceres and Vesta and taking amazing images. He is also an excellent speaker.

Friday and Saturday Nights: star parties w/ hands-on activities, learn to take astrophotos with your phone; or find geostationary satellites with your camera. 

Kids and Students: Kids enter RTMC for free; college students for half price. On Sunday, they can join our mini telescope-building workshop and ice cream social (limit 20).

RTMC 2019: This year is our last year to hold RTMC on Memorial Day weekend at Camp Oakes. We are considering our options: holding it at Camp Oakes on Labor Day weekend, following new moons, or finding another camp. See our website for more info: http://rtmcastronomyexpo.org/ 

Martin Carey, RTMC President

#7 nicoyenny

nicoyenny

Viking 1

Posted 08 May 2018 - 06:07 PM

I have been talking with a TV presenter (from a Spanish broadcasting station) and there is a chance, do far it is JUST a chance a reporter might go one of the nights. If that happens, RTMC will have tremendous coverage on the Spanish speaking population of LA/OC.  Remember, so far is just a chance ... at the least my buddy will mention the event on the night news broadcast the days before ...

#8 MartinC

MartinC

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Grand Terrace, CA

Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:30 PM

Correction to my last post:

The limit of 20 kids at the mini telescope-making workshop is only for the 20 telescope kits. For the ice cream and prizes, we are not limiting how many participate. When we run out of ice cream, we stop.

Edited by MartinC, 08 May 2018 - 10:30 PM.

#9 Cajundaddy

Cajundaddy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Cucamonga CA

Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:44 PM

I used to go to this event every year and it was always very worthwhile.  I am tied-up Saturday night but may have to come up Sunday.

#10 Tyson

Tyson

Lift Off

Posted 21 May 2018 - 12:22 PM

If i may suggest posting the list of the speakers and link to schedule of events on the FRONT page of the website.  

Honestly, I went several times looking for information and could not find the info I was looking for until I went to NEWS.  It's not an obvious tab to look for such important information.  

• Censustaker likes this

#11 Matthew Ota

Matthew Ota

Hmmm

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Phoenix, Arizona

Posted 22 May 2018 - 09:03 PM

If i may suggest posting the list of the speakers and link to schedule of events on the FRONT page of the website.  

Honestly, I went several times looking for information and could not find the info I was looking for until I went to NEWS.  It's not an obvious tab to look for such important information.  

You can download a PDF file with a more detailed schecule. It is on the site here at the bottom of the page:

http://rtmcastronomy.../news-and-info/

#12 nicoyenny

nicoyenny

Viking 1

Posted 23 May 2018 - 10:21 AM

I am ready. The astroSubaru is packed with all my astrogear and even some of the non-essentials like food and shelter :lol:

Will head there tomorrow PM, guys, bring real warm clothes, it will be freezing cold Friday night!!!

#13 B. Hebert

B. Hebert

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 28 May 2018 - 12:11 AM

Well, RTMC 2018 is now history. 

It was a good show.  Cold!  Friday night my sleeping bag was comfortable, but Saturday I had to put on more clothes.  The moon also put on a good show, and out-shined almost everything else.

As for the events; attendance was down a bit, especially vendors, but the meet still had the warm and enthusiastic family feel it always had. 

This may be the last Memorial Day meeting for RTMC; next year will probably take place in Big Bear, but in September, hopefully on a new moon.

Edited by B. Hebert, 28 May 2018 - 01:57 AM.

• Cometman likes this

#14 tim53

tim53

Voyager 1

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 28 May 2018 - 09:19 AM

i think it was a good conference.  The seeing Saturday night almost made the trip worthwhile on its own.  Several of us were comparing views of Jupiter through my MN56, Dan Schecter's 3" Zeiss triplet (from the 20s, I think he said), Jack Eastman's 6" Clark (1877), and Dave Rodosevich's 22" Newt (almost needed sunglasses to view Jupiter!).

Apparently the push to move from Memorial Day weekend came from the Camp, not the RTMC organizers.  They told us last night that it will be the third weekend in September, from Thursday through Sunday.  My biggest concern is that kids will be in school, so family attendance might be an issue.

-Tim.

#15 Cajundaddy

Cajundaddy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Cucamonga CA

Posted 28 May 2018 - 10:23 AM

I favor the change in dates to a weekend with dark skies.  Memorial weekend always finds my calendar impacted and the weather is often unpredictable.  Warmer and darker in Sept. sounds good.

#16 mikee1

mikee1

Sputnik

• Loc: Southern Ca.

Posted 28 May 2018 - 02:01 PM

It was my first time to the conference and I thoroughly enjoyed it, except for the cold Friday night (I've been warmer at Mount Pinos in winter).

I'm looking forward to a conference held in September, hoping the evenings will be warmer...

#17 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 28 May 2018 - 06:40 PM

The conference is booked for the 3rd weekend of September--it's last quarter.

I was told it will be reduced to 2 nights--Fri and Sat.

Saw your scope--innovative and creative and good workmanship all at the same time.

• mikee1 and Cajundaddy like this

#18 nicoyenny

nicoyenny

Viking 1

Posted 29 May 2018 - 09:50 AM

It was a great weekend, I had a blast spending those cold (really cold!!!) nights with you guys!

Sunday night was near perfect, felt really warm and I managed to image M13 even with the evil orb shining on us ...

#19 Cometman

Cometman

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ventura County, California

Posted 29 May 2018 - 12:23 PM

I had a great time this year, yeah attendance was down, yeah there were basically no vendors, but I was able to visit with some great people that I had not seen in years.

I will be posting an interview I did with Bob Stephens on the Observers Notebook podcast on June 15. I will put a link here when it drops.

Tim

#20 Darren Bly

Darren Bly

Viking 1

• Loc: Bakersfield, Ca

Posted 30 May 2018 - 09:25 AM

I had a great time this year, yeah attendance was down, yeah there were basically no vendors, but I was able to visit with some great people that I had not seen in years.

I will be posting an interview I did with Bob Stephens on the Observers Notebook podcast on June 15. I will put a link here when it drops.

Tim

How was the attendance?

#21 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors

Posted 30 May 2018 - 10:35 AM

Darren,

On Saturday, it looked about the same as last year.

I went to see if attendance at the 50th anniversary was large enough for me to want to display.

Nope.

And I'm betting attendance next year on a non-holiday weekend in September will be even smaller.

• Darren Bly likes this

#22 Mike Spooner

Mike Spooner

Vendor (mirrors)

• Vendors

Posted 30 May 2018 - 11:18 AM

Darren,

On Saturday, it looked about the same as last year.

I went to see if attendance at the 50th anniversary was large enough for me to want to display.

Nope.

And I'm betting attendance next year on a non-holiday weekend in September will be even smaller.

Yeah I felt sorry for the vendors on the field - I saw very few folks perusing goods even though the weather was pretty good compared to some years. We had a good time visiting great friends. 

Mike Spooner 

#23 mikee1

mikee1

Sputnik

• Loc: Southern Ca.

Posted 30 May 2018 - 02:01 PM

The conference is booked for the 3rd weekend of September--it's last quarter.

I was told it will be reduced to 2 nights--Fri and Sat.

Saw your scope--innovative and creative and good workmanship all at the same time.

If you were speaking to me Starman, thank you for the kind words....

Do we know what the attendance was at the event? My unscientific estimation is that there were over 300 people at the event .... I did not attend last year so I have nothing to compare it to, but I thought it was a pretty good turnout!

• Darren Bly likes this

#24 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors

Posted 30 May 2018 - 02:20 PM

I'd guess about 300 as well.

That's compared to over 2000 in the early '90s.

OSP puts a cap on at 900.

NightFall gets 450-500 and it's a small local star party.

RTMC has become a bit too small for most vendors.

Now that the dates will change, we may see the same thing the year RTMC changed from Memorial Day Weekend to the New Moon instead--a drastic drop in attendance.

Perhaps not.  We'll see.

• Darren Bly likes this

#25 nicoyenny

nicoyenny

Viking 1

Posted 31 May 2018 - 02:54 PM

I was looking for an ADC (don't tell me you had one...)  like crazy, asked pretty much everyone, nope, no  one had one ...

Yes, attendance for what was supposed to be a large event was not the greatest ... this was my third time there, and loved it, regardless of how many people showed (or not) ...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics