•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

RTMC Astronomy Expo 2018 - Big Bear California

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#26 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:22 PM

An atmospheric dispersion corrector is a pretty esoteric piece of equipment.

I think there are only a couple brands of them in the world market.

I think the ZWO is available from a couple retailers in the US.

#27 nicoyenny

nicoyenny

Viking 1

Posted 31 May 2018 - 05:14 PM

a pretty esoteric piece of equipment

Lol, That might be the reason I got some weird faces when asking for it ..

At least next year's RTMC can count on me attending ...

#28 Darren Bly

Darren Bly

Viking 1

• Loc: Bakersfield, Ca

Posted 02 June 2018 - 08:03 AM

Darren,

On Saturday, it looked about the same as last year.

I went to see if attendance at the 50th anniversary was large enough for me to want to display.

Nope.

And I'm betting attendance next year on a non-holiday weekend in September will be even smaller.

300 people?  WOW.  I, like you, remember the 2000 attendees years.  I don't expect that but it's hard to believe with 10 million people nearby they can't do better than 300.  RTMC seems to be be caught in a downward spiral.  Vendors can't come without people and people won't attend without vendors.    

#29 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Cosmos

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 02 June 2018 - 08:45 AM

I don’t know how somebody came up with a 300 number. And the comparison to Nightfall is just wrong. RTMC is bigger. I was at both Texas and RTMC this year and can tell you it is hard to get an estimate of the number of attendees at any star party. Let’s wait for the official numbers.

Alex

#30 Darren Bly

Darren Bly

Viking 1

Posted 02 June 2018 - 11:16 AM

I don’t know how somebody came up with a 300 number. And the comparison to Nightfall is just wrong. RTMC is bigger. I was at both Texas and RTMC this year and can tell you it is hard to get an estimate of the number of attendees at any star party. Let’s wait for the official numbers.

Alex

Ok Alex, when the number become available will you post them here?

#31 Matthew Ota

Matthew Ota

Hmmm

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Phoenix, Arizona

Posted 30 September 2018 - 10:09 PM

There has been a drop in RTMC attendance in recent years simply due to attrition. The Space Age generation is getting into the senior years and many folks are just not with us anymore. There are not enought young stargazers to take thier place, either.  

#32 Lola Bruce

Lola Bruce

Apollo

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 01 October 2018 - 03:48 PM

I did not attend because it was a holiday. Also I have a motorhome and never got a straight answer if I could bring it.

Bruce

#33 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 01 October 2018 - 04:11 PM

I did not attend because it was a holiday. Also I have a motorhome and never got a straight answer if I could bring it.

Bruce

It's always on a holiday except, if things don't work out, it might not be on a holiday next time and the location might be different.

And yes, you could always bring your motor home.  The trick was finding a spot to park it.

#34 Joe F Gafford

Joe F Gafford

Soyuz

• ****-
  • Loc: Denver, Colorado, US

Posted 15 October 2018 - 02:08 AM

This event will be missed. I went in 2003 and 2004. This is not really a star party, but a meeting of amateur telescope makers. This is hardly done with the younger plug & play generation. ATM is losing ground. Even Jack Eastman was lamenting about these things this past week at the Okie-Tex. He's been to most of the RTMC events back to when they held it in Riverside. The glass pusher to the main manufacturers booths ringed the "Telescope field" and down the trail to the dining/meeting hall in 2003/4. Around 1,500 attended each of those 2 years. 

Joe

#35 Matthew Ota

Matthew Ota

Hmmm

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 October 2018 - 11:23 PM

The attendance at RTMC reflects the downward spiral of amateur astronomy as a whole. Only die hard veterans like us keep it going. Club memberships are down and some clubs have even disbanded.

#36 Darren Bly

Darren Bly

Viking 1

Posted 19 October 2018 - 02:11 PM

The attendance at RTMC reflects the downward spiral of amateur astronomy as a whole. Only die hard veterans like us keep it going. Club memberships are down and some clubs have even disbanded.

I completely disagree about clubs.  Maybe our club is an outlier but we are bigger than 10 years ago and we have more children and woman than 10 years ago.

An issue I have seen with astronomy clubs is they are not very friendly.  We have had three members retire and move "home" lately.  They all complained about finding very unwelcoming clubs.     

• Ron359 likes this

#37 Matthew Ota

Matthew Ota

Hmmm

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 October 2018 - 12:19 AM

I completely disagree about clubs.  Maybe our club is an outlier but we are bigger than 10 years ago and we have more children and woman than 10 years ago.

An issue I have seen with astronomy clubs is they are not very friendly.  We have had three members retire and move "home" lately.  They all complained about finding very unwelcoming clubs.     

Astronomy clubs that are not very friendly are not being run properly then. Astronomy clubs that are run properly welcome new members and new members that are just starting in astronomy as a hobby.

#38 Joe F Gafford

Joe F Gafford

Soyuz

• ****-
  • Loc: Denver, Colorado, US

Posted 20 October 2018 - 04:38 PM

My club has grown to over 500 members. We have an in-reach program once a month for member's only and it covers the basics. We also have a Beginner's corner at the monthly open house for the public. We have younger members on the board now and a dark sky site with some at place tutoring. However, events like the RTMC are dying due to the lack of DIY in the hobby these days. Most complete scope setups sold today have a "Plug and Play" function. We have people that handles the social media part and that brings in new members and attendees for the public nights, twice weekly, and to the open houses and general meetings. 

We have a SWOT analysis about every third year with the executive board on where we are and where we should do the improvements. One of the early threats was the cronyism with the older members and we started to open up more on the newbies. If you can get past the "Old Guard" mentality, your club should survive. 

Joe

• Darren Bly and swalker like this

#39 Knasal

Knasal

Apollo

• Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 20 October 2018 - 05:24 PM

^^ Good points! ^^

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics