•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Post your Pixinsight Processing Flow!

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#26 starhunter50

starhunter50

Viking 1

• Loc: Tilbury,Ontario 42N , 82W

Posted 02 January 2019 - 10:58 PM

Hi Astrodude,

Sorry for my delayed response due to my other preoccupations. I want to learn more about plate solving and Framing& Mosaic in SG Pro. Every time I want to go for imaging after Framing & Mosaic, it asks me about camera rotator (even if I deselect the rotator). I don't have a rotator and I want to directly plate solve and image through SG Pro.

Wishing you a very happy New Year 2019.

Rajib

Hi , Rajib, i can do a specific video for your situation, on framing and mosaic , then cross over to Plate solving, with the right settings...

give me a few days...

Mitch/Astrodude.

• elmiko and rlsarma like this

#27 rlsarma

rlsarma

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Digboi, Assam, India

Posted 03 January 2019 - 01:21 AM

Hi , Rajib, i can do a specific video for your situation, on framing and mosaic , then cross over to Plate solving, with the right settings...

give me a few days...

Mitch/Astrodude.

You are highly appreciated. I know you will certainly help us and I am now excited to see your new learning videos. Your descriptions and flow are so simple and easily understandable that it becomes very easy to learn.

Thanks from the core of my heart.

Rajib

#28 starhunter50

starhunter50

Viking 1

Posted 04 January 2019 - 02:42 PM

You are highly appreciated. I know you will certainly help us and I am now excited to see your new learning videos. Your descriptions and flow are so simple and easily understandable that it becomes very easy to learn.

Thanks from the core of my heart.

Rajib

Are you a subscriber of my Youtube channel so you can get the newer videos , including SGP solving.?

here it is.. https://youtu.be/lAmFw3FyIFc   

https://www.youtube....h?v=HIXJJqew6rQ     1-12   PI tutorials...and many other videos on Astrophotography.

Edited by starhunter50, 04 January 2019 - 02:44 PM.

• elmiko, bsavoie and rlsarma like this

#29 rlsarma

rlsarma

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Digboi, Assam, India

Posted 05 January 2019 - 11:09 AM

Are you a subscriber of my Youtube channel so you can get the newer videos , including SGP solving.?

here it is.. https://youtu.be/lAmFw3FyIFc   

https://www.youtube....h?v=HIXJJqew6rQ     1-12   PI tutorials...and many other videos on Astrophotography.

I have downloaded and keep learning all your beautiful PI videos. Great tutorial videos. Thanks for https://youtu.be/lAmFw3FyIFc which somehow I missed in the YouTube. Keep posting such wonderful tutorials in YouTube.

Rajib.

• starhunter50 likes this

#30 Wwilmoth69

Wwilmoth69

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 15 January 2019 - 11:40 AM

I'm curious as to the bias frames and how you use or lack thereof

in my calibration I've been making my master dark and bias
then with flats I use the bias and the dark master
i turn off calibrate on the bias and turn on optimize and calibrate of the dark frame
then when I calibrate my light frames I have all three checked and again only optimize and calibrate is turned on the master dark only

should i only calibrate my flats with dark flats and forget the bias altogether and no longer use the master dark on flat calibration since that spot will be filled with the dark flat master

am I understanding this correctly

#31 starhunter50

starhunter50

Viking 1

Posted 15 January 2019 - 12:04 PM

Perhaps these images will help out.

3 things are needed to do a proper Light s calibration.

1-Flats

2-Darks

3-Bias or dark_flats

you still need to use the Darks on the Flats frames , but the Bias can be substituted with Dark Flats. 

see below the order in which to create master Flats using Bias and darks then making the master flat that can be calibrated against the lights. 

if you wish to skip the Bias then use your master Flat_darks instead.

Attached Thumbnails

• calibrate 1.jpg
  • calibrate 2.jpg
  • calbrate3.jpg
  • calibrate lights 4.jpg

Edited by starhunter50, 15 January 2019 - 12:12 PM.

• elmiko likes this

#32 Wwilmoth69

Wwilmoth69

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 15 January 2019 - 12:19 PM

ok I think I got it

so your still using the bias spot but instead using dark flats in its place.
I was curious. I always thought using your master dark on the flats was weird but I guess pi takes in account for that

#33 starhunter50

starhunter50

Viking 1

Posted 15 January 2019 - 12:24 PM

Correct... 

Cheers.

to quote someone, " i don't care how they made my Iphone , as long as i can make a call " 

LOL

#34 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Austin, Texas

Posted 15 January 2019 - 12:55 PM

If you check my work flow, it shows exactly how to do it. 

Master darks and master dark-flats are just integrated with no calibration

flats are calibrated with only the master dark-flat - no bias

master flats are then integrated

Light frames are calibrated with masterdark and MasterFlat but NO bias.

This is for CMOS cameras.

You dont put the masterdark flat in place of the master bias in the calibration.

What was shown by starhunter50 is what you would do for a CCD camera.

• starhunter50 and Wwilmoth69 like this

#35 Wwilmoth69

Wwilmoth69

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 15 January 2019 - 01:02 PM

thank you for clarifying that is what threw me off

#36 starhunter50

starhunter50

Viking 1

Posted 15 January 2019 - 01:08 PM

If you check my work flow, it shows exactly how to do it. 

Master darks and master dark-flats are just integrated with no calibration

flats are calibrated with only the master dark-flat - no bias

master flats are then integrated

Light frames are calibrated with masterdark and MasterFlat but NO bias.

This is for CMOS cameras.

You dont put the masterdark flat in place of the master bias in the calibration.

What was shown by starhunter50 is what you would do for a CCD camera.

I stand corrected , what i quoted is not my workflow.

the reason  is  that my AA183C IMX is a CMOS Sony BSI chip.

i only use Flats and Darks on my lights.  the Bias voltage is included in my dark frames.

Mitch

• Wwilmoth69 likes this

#37 Gary Imm

Gary Imm

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Onalaska, TX

Posted 09 February 2019 - 09:41 AM

cfosterstars,

Thanks for the tremendous effort that you put into documenting your Pixinsight workflow!  I have read through all 77 steps.  Like you, I have learned a lot from the LVA site, Warren's book, and Adam's videos.  Now your pdf can be added to that illustrious list.  Although many of our steps were similar, I gleaned several important learnings from your work.  You are good at not only explaining the tools but also explaining why one would want to use them (for example, your section on Local Normalization).  I also like that you sometimes explain several different approaches to accomplish the same intent.

Now, please send some of those clear Austin skies over here to east Texas!

Gary

• bsavoie and cfosterstars like this

#38 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 09 February 2019 - 04:08 PM

cfosterstars,

Thanks for the tremendous effort that you put into documenting your Pixinsight workflow!  I have read through all 77 steps.  Like you, I have learned a lot from the LVA site, Warren's book, and Adam's videos.  Now your pdf can be added to that illustrious list.  Although many of our steps were similar, I gleaned several important learnings from your work.  You are good at not only explaining the tools but also explaining why one would want to use them (for example, your section on Local Normalization).  I also like that you sometimes explain several different approaches to accomplish the same intent.

Now, please send some of those clear Austin skies over here to east Texas!

Gary

What clear Austin skies are you referring too?? I have not had clear skies in a month!

I am working on the next version right now and have been adding screen captures. I will be posting it once I actually get through a bit more sections.

• HughGilhespie, Wwilmoth69 and SebaAstro like this

#39 RowlandC

RowlandC

Asterism

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 14 February 2019 - 04:24 PM

Here is a quick post processing work flow (video) that I use for wide field DSLR images. It's a little unconventional in places (apparently) but the processes are derived from other tutorials, some as far back as v1.5. The use of LRGB is particularly satisfying as it avoids curves for saturation.

Very little video editing so ~8 minutes viewing time. It is optimised for web browsing.

Edited by RowlandC, 14 February 2019 - 04:27 PM.

#40 SebaAstro

SebaAstro

Vostok 1

Posted 17 February 2019 - 05:38 PM

What clear Austin skies are you referring too?? I have not had clear skies in a month!

I am working on the next version right now and have been adding screen captures. I will be posting it once I actually get through a bit more sections.

cfosterstars,

your contribution on sharing your work flow has been EXTREMELY VALUABLE. I probably cannot use enough words to describe it. Just THANK YOU for doing it and please keep it up. One thing i would suggest (if I may and if you are willing to do in the future) is about organizing the information. Meaning ,  i would divide the document into 2 different documents based on LRGB and NB integration. It will help your fans to follow better the steps while applying them. I am interested only on mono camera work flow so i am sure that other users may say "hey , what about adding additional 2 chapters for OSC work flow?". So you may end up on making 4 chapters instead of 2!!! <smile>.

Then, if you really add screen captures as you have mentioned, that would be the cherry on top of the cake!!!

With by best regards,

Seba

PS:

i have been using BIAS calibration frames and everything seems fine, as i can also see from other users that have successfully posted great images using those. However after reading your article it made me question their usage so i will experiment the DARK FLATS approach (i have ASI1600MM-Pro). I am sure you have compared the 2 results at a pixel level in order to state about the better quality result on using DARK FLATS, so i will trust the objectivity of your judgement <smile>.

#41 twidget

twidget

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: SW Missouri

Posted 11 March 2019 - 04:39 PM

cfosterstars,

FANTASTIC workflow document!! I can only second all the compliments to you that have already been posted !!! bow.gif bow.gif 

I just started reading it today, and have made it about 2/3 of the way through with several partial re-reads in the process. While my workflow is similar in most respects, yours is MUCH better thought-out, includes a step or 3 that I have up-till-now omitted (for various reasons), and contains information I had not seen before. I will immediately re-work my NGC6946 data, which I had just today finished (up to generating a LRHaGB image, with PCC included), using your workflow. I expect the result to be an improvement on my just-finished product.

I have a question or two I would like to pose, if I may.....from Step 29 onward, it appears that you only work with a Lum master that was extracted from your RGB image, rather than a Lum master that was created from subs made using a Luminance filter. Is that correct, or did I miss something? Is there an advantage to using the RGB-extracted Lum master instead of the independently-generated Lum master (which is what presently I do)? Or can one use a stand-alone Lum master in your workflow as one would use an extracted Lum master?

As I work though your workflow further, I will probably have some more questions, which I hope you can address for me crazy.gif .

Once again, great job, and THANK YOU sincerely for all the time and effort put into it!!

Clear Skies !!

Mike

#42 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 14 March 2019 - 08:02 PM

cfosterstars,

FANTASTIC workflow document!! I can only second all the compliments to you that have already been posted !!! bow.gif bow.gif

I just started reading it today, and have made it about 2/3 of the way through with several partial re-reads in the process. While my workflow is similar in most respects, yours is MUCH better thought-out, includes a step or 3 that I have up-till-now omitted (for various reasons), and contains information I had not seen before. I will immediately re-work my NGC6946 data, which I had just today finished (up to generating a LRHaGB image, with PCC included), using your workflow. I expect the result to be an improvement on my just-finished product.

I have a question or two I would like to pose, if I may.....from Step 29 onward, it appears that you only work with a Lum master that was extracted from your RGB image, rather than a Lum master that was created from subs made using a Luminance filter. Is that correct, or did I miss something? Is there an advantage to using the RGB-extracted Lum master instead of the independently-generated Lum master (which is what presently I do)? Or can one use a stand-alone Lum master in your workflow as one would use an extracted Lum master?

As I work though your workflow further, I will probably have some more questions, which I hope you can address for me crazy.gif .

Once again, great job, and THANK YOU sincerely for all the time and effort put into it!!

Clear Skies !!

Mike

Actually, the "LUM" can be the LUM from the UVIR filter, the extracted lum from the RGB or the NB SHO or the combination of all that data together. I usually combine the actually LUM data with extracted L from the RGB and/or NB data to create a SuperLUM. However it is created, I do most of the sharpening and contrast enhancement on that SLUM and then combine with the RGB color or NB false color near the end of the flow. The bulk of the data comes from the LUM filter data and is enhanced with the extracted LUM.  

I am almost done with the next version of the work flow. I am trying to get more into the post processing enhancement portion along with a bunch of screen shots. I will probably be posting it in a week or so.

• HughGilhespie and twidget like this

#43 starhunter50

starhunter50

Viking 1

Posted 15 March 2019 - 04:55 PM

Perhaps these images will help out.

3 things are needed to do a proper Light s calibration.

1-Flats

2-Darks

3-Bias or dark_flats

you still need to use the Darks on the Flats frames , but the Bias can be substituted with Dark Flats. 

see below the order in which to create master Flats using Bias and darks then making the master flat that can be calibrated against the lights. 

if you wish to skip the Bias then use your master Flat_darks instead.

Make sure to Uncheck "Optimize darks" if you using a CMOS camera ...but leave it checked if your using a DSLR.

#44 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 17 March 2019 - 05:12 PM

I have done a very thorough update to my process flow. I added several new sections, updates to many other section, and added lots of screen captures from processing. It is now much to big to paste into the forum or even upload the file so I have it posted on my google drive at the following link:

https://drive.google...8XhGSVx1olR61ie

There are still quite a few sections that need more detail, but this is a big update.

Edited by cfosterstars, 17 March 2019 - 05:12 PM.

• Robert, NMCN, R Botero and 7 others like this

#45 vballrican

vballrican

Sputnik

• ***--
  • Loc: Sarasota, Fl

Posted 18 March 2019 - 02:01 PM

Wow!! Thank you for this... as a new AP'er myself, this will be very helpful with my trial of PI.  Again, thanks!

#46 twidget

twidget

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: SW Missouri

Posted 19 March 2019 - 12:10 PM

Actually, the "LUM" can be the LUM from the UVIR filter, the extracted lum from the RGB or the NB SHO or the combination of all that data together. I usually combine the actually LUM data with extracted L from the RGB and/or NB data to create a SuperLUM. However it is created, I do most of the sharpening and contrast enhancement on that SLUM and then combine with the RGB color or NB false color near the end of the flow. The bulk of the data comes from the LUM filter data and is enhanced with the extracted LUM.  

I am almost done with the next version of the work flow. I am trying to get more into the post processing enhancement portion along with a bunch of screen shots. I will probably be posting it in a week or so.

cfosterstars,

Thank you for the reply, I will have to try your lum approach in the near future.

I will be visiting your posted google site to peruse the latest on your workflow. Again, many thanks for the effort and time expended making and posting your workflow!

Clear Skies!

Mike

#47 gionk

gionk

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 08 April 2019 - 02:02 PM

For those who want to use the weighted formula based on FWHM, Exxentricity and SNRWeight, there are some parentheses missing and somehow in my Pixinsight version there's no Min function but there are Min variables you can use. I'm now using this formula:

10 * (1 - (FWHM - FWHMMin) / (FWHMMax - FWHMMin)) + 
10 * (1 - (Eccentricity - EccentricityMin) / (EccentricityMax - EccentricityMin)) + 
30 * (SNRWeight - SNRWeightMin) / (SNRWeightMax - SNRWeightMin) +

• Jim Waters, starhunter50 and darkstar3d like this

#48 starhunter50

starhunter50

Viking 1

Posted 08 April 2019 - 02:30 PM

Thank you so much for this subframe selector expressions..

#49 hoxca

hoxca

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 20 May 2019 - 02:02 PM

Thank you for this amazing job, @cfosterstars !

I'm learning a lot from your process as i'm following the same path: Canon 7D :( => Canon 6D => ASI071 => ASI071P

I stick to RGB processing for now but i also use a dualNB filter and your PI workflow is a very valuable help.

--

Regards,

HoxCa

#50 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 20 May 2019 - 04:00 PM

Thank you for this amazing job, @cfosterstars !

I'm learning a lot from your process as i'm following the same path: Canon 7D frown.gif => Canon 6D => ASI071 => ASI071P

I stick to RGB processing for now but i also use a dualNB filter and your PI workflow is a very valuable help.

--

Regards,

HoxCa

HoxCa,

You are  welcome.  I am always working on updating it as I go. I have a dual NB filter also for my ASI017MC-PRO and will be trying it out on the Rho Ophiuchi area for a mosaic or a WF with a canon lens. 

I am working on updates to the subframe selector, PSFimage for DCON (great script), Camera gain and read noise measurement, and mosaics. I need to finish my data collection for the last panel on my M8/M20 region mosaic and capture all my settings for that section.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics