•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Post your Pixinsight Processing Flow!

• Please log in to reply
206 replies to this topic

#126 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Austin, Texas

Posted 28 October 2019 - 06:30 PM

Hi Chris,

I really want to thank you very much regarding your remarkable work you have done in this PI workflow process.

I began 1 year ago with Pixinsight and the Lightvortex tutorials were my reference to learn PI.

Now that i found your great work i am proud to announce that you just become my new reference for LRGB and SHO processing. I never found a document so rich and full of details and the most important of all thing is that your workflow is up to date based on new cmos cameras :-)

Look at my processing done 2 weeks ago on IC1396 :

https://cdn.astrobin...-1570379140.png

And now look at my processing done yesterday after reading your whole workflow :

https://cdn.astrobin...-1572229492.png

It's still not perfect but it's amazing because i used the exact same data sets for these images !

I cant access the new image. Is it in you drafts area? Thanks for your kind words. I am glad that its been of value to you.. Let me know if you have any questions and I would be happy to try and help.

I am working on the next revision. I am liking all the figure references to the figures so that when I add new figures, the numbers are updated automatically. I am also added three new sections: One on dust donut removal, One on fixed pattern noise reduction, And a third on OSC processing with a dual narrowband filter. If you have your proofreading updates, I would like to incorporate them

• basskep likes this

#127 basskep

basskep

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 29 October 2019 - 04:04 AM

I cant access the new image. Is it in you drafts area? Thanks for your kind words. I am glad that its been of value to you.. Let me know if you have any questions and I would be happy to try and help.

I am working on the next revision. I am liking all the figure references to the figures so that when I add new figures, the numbers are updated automatically. I am also added three new sections: One on dust donut removal, One on fixed pattern noise reduction, And a third on OSC processing with a dual narrowband filter. If you have your proofreading updates, I would like to incorporate them

For the third section on OSC processing with a dual narrowband filter yes I am currently reviewing and adding some notes to the current document because this is my main working activity when shooting. Once done I will send you the update.

For the last image here it is :-)

https://cdn.astrobin...x0_wmhqkGbg.png

Edited by basskep, 29 October 2019 - 04:05 AM.

• bsavoie and cfosterstars like this

#128 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 29 October 2019 - 07:58 AM

For the third section on OSC processing with a dual narrowband filter yes I am currently reviewing and adding some notes to the current document because this is my main working activity when shooting. Once done I will send you the update.

For the last image here it is :-)

https://cdn.astrobin...x0_wmhqkGbg.png

Wow that is a nice image. Great color and contrast. Is that with a dual NB filter? I am processing a WF with my dual NB and its very nice.

• basskep likes this

#129 basskep

basskep

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 29 October 2019 - 09:41 AM

Yes Chris it's with my dual NB Optolong filter :-)

I followed your recommendation to split both channels Ha and OIII and then all the processing workflow. 

#130 Ethanwyh

Ethanwyh

Vostok 1

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 30 October 2019 - 09:56 PM

Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone here has been successful with processing an image with some clouds (note it's a H-alpha mono frame).

My image in question is a stacked image with proper calibration. However, I noticed that around the target (NGC2244), there's some wisps of clouds. I tried ABE various times and it has led to these string of images. (From left to right; successive ABEs)

Alternatively, is there any settings on DSS that allows for exclusion of frames with 'cloudy' data? The strange thing is that I'm unabe to discern any clouds with just my naked eye for each individual frame.

Any tips or suggestions? I would want to collect more frames with less clouds but due to the monsoon season here, time for image aquisition is severly limited. Would want to collect Sii and Oiii on the next two clear nights i can get.

Thanks for reading!

pi cloud removal.jpg

#131 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 30 October 2019 - 11:46 PM

Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone here has been successful with processing an image with some clouds (note it's a H-alpha mono frame).

My image in question is a stacked image with proper calibration. However, I noticed that around the target (NGC2244), there's some wisps of clouds. I tried ABE various times and it has led to these string of images. (From left to right; successive ABEs)

Alternatively, is there any settings on DSS that allows for exclusion of frames with 'cloudy' data? The strange thing is that I'm unabe to discern any clouds with just my naked eye for each individual frame.

Any tips or suggestions? I would want to collect more frames with less clouds but due to the monsoon season here, time for image aquisition is severly limited. Would want to collect Sii and Oiii on the next two clear nights i can get.

Thanks for reading!

attachicon.gif pi cloud removal.jpg

Read my section on LocalNormalization. Done correctly, this tool is made for doing exactly what you are needing. This assumes you have at least a subset of images that are free of artifacts.  No other tool will really work well.

• bsavoie likes this

#132 Ethanwyh

Ethanwyh

Vostok 1

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 31 October 2019 - 02:49 AM

Read my section on LocalNormalization. Done correctly, this tool is made for doing exactly what you are needing. This assumes you have at least a subset of images that are free of artifacts.  No other tool will really work well.

Hey there,

Thanks for the reply! Will check it out and update you guys on the results, should turn out fine :D

Cheers!

Ethan

#133 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 09 November 2019 - 05:34 PM

I have a new update to my work flow and the book now has a decent title.

I have added the following:

1) a section on dealing with fixed pattern noise issues with image integration

2) a section on fixing residual dust donuts from flat fielding errors

3) update the sections on OSC using dual narrowband filters - I will be adding more on the next revision

4) added a new section on forming mosaics using the MosaicByCoordinates script

5) I also have the set of processing icons that I use extensively as a file in the folder with the book

Next revision I will try and update the flow for changes in PixInsight 1.8.7 and 1.8.8 as I learn to use them

Here is the link to the google drive:

https://drive.google...9AXVTrdXAj--t54

Please feed back to me any corrections, typos or sections that need clarification. The book is getting so long that it hard to go through the whole thing for me. I know what I am trying to say, but it is not clear that the reader is getting what I mean.

Thanks,

• james7ca, AnakChan, 42itous1 and 1 other like this

#134 basskep

basskep

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 12 November 2019 - 05:26 AM

I have a new update to my work flow and the book now has a decent title.

1) a section on dealing with fixed pattern noise issues with image integration

2) a section on fixing residual dust donuts from flat fielding errors

3) update the sections on OSC using dual narrowband filters - I will be adding more on the next revision

4) added a new section on forming mosaics using the MosaicByCoordinates script

5) I also have the set of processing icons that I use extensively as a file in the folder with the book

Next revision I will try and update the flow for changes in PixInsight 1.8.7 and 1.8.8 as I learn to use them

Here is the link to the google drive:

https://drive.google...9AXVTrdXAj--t54

Please feed back to me any corrections, typos or sections that need clarification. The book is getting so long that it hard to go through the whole thing for me. I know what I am trying to say, but it is not clear that the reader is getting what I mean.

Thanks,

Thank you Chris and sorry for not coming back to you sooner. But as soon as I do my next processing I will continue my comments on your doc and send you the whole update.

#135 fielderda

fielderda

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 12 November 2019 - 10:13 PM

Many thanks Chris for your hours of hard work to create a magnificant Pixinsight Manual.

Some of your earlier work really helped me out when I started out with PI and look forward to learning more from a true Master!

#136 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 16 December 2019 - 11:48 PM

I have uploaded version 2.3 of my e-book: 

1) a new section on using the StarNet++ process for generating starless versions

2) a method for blending the Starless version of images with the base image that is roughly equivalent to photoshop Screen-Mask-Invert

3) update the sections on OSC using dual narrowband filters - changed recommendations for Debayer settings and how to do MUREDenoise with the files. I will be adding more on my next revision

https://drive.google...ZyTgim5wxfCUOgU

• Robert, sparkyht, John O'Grady and 10 others like this

#137 rlsarma

rlsarma

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Digboi, Assam, India

Posted 17 December 2019 - 01:32 AM

I have no words to thank you for your hard yet wonderful work for fellow astrophotographers like us. Simply flowerred.gif  and bow.gif . I am deeply benefited. Keep up your good work.

Rajib

• bsavoie likes this

#138 Jeff Smith

Jeff Smith

Viking 1

• Loc: Chicago

Posted 17 December 2019 - 08:30 AM

Thank you!

#139 gunny01

gunny01

Vanguard

Posted 17 December 2019 - 09:46 AM

Thank you for this wonderful Christmas gift Chris.  Merry Christmas to you and yours.........

#140 thekubiaks

thekubiaks

Vostok 1

Posted 03 January 2020 - 08:56 PM

Masterpiece, thank you!!!!

#141 SgtErnestBilko

SgtErnestBilko

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Essex, UK

Posted 09 February 2020 - 02:20 PM

That's a huge amount of work done by you and a huge amount of time saved for me.......wow. 

I too have subscribed to Adam Blocks video's, but I needed some help in "joining the dots"

Thank you, very much

#142 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 09 February 2020 - 02:35 PM

That's a huge amount of work done by you and a huge amount of time saved for me.......wow. 

I too have subscribed to Adam Blocks video's, but I needed some help in "joining the dots"

Thank you, very much

Thank you very much...

I am working on the next revision with a few updates: Moire fringe patterns, more on mosiacs, random error fixes.

• charotarguy and deepanshu29 like this

#143 Biggen

Biggen

Ranger 4

• Loc: PCB, FL

Posted 12 February 2020 - 08:40 AM

Its an amazing wealth of knowledge to be sure and I'm going over it now.

I am a bit confused on OSC workflow.  It seems you mix OSC and NB workflow throughout the document.  Are there plans to separate them out?  For example, the MureDenoise section (page ~62) I was confused on what I'm supposed to do with a OSC.  Am I supposed to separate all channels as described earlier?  Just the L*?

As I said, its an amazing amount of knowledge and I'm just barely getting into it now.  How long does it take you to post-process an image?

Edited by Biggen, 12 February 2020 - 11:45 AM.

#144 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 12 February 2020 - 12:13 PM

Its an amazing wealth of knowledge to be sure and I'm going over it now.

I am a bit confused on OSC workflow.  It seems you mix OSC and NB workflow throughout the document.  Are there plans to separate them out?  For example, the MureDenoise section (page ~62) I was confused on what I'm supposed to do with a OSC.  Am I supposed to separate all channels as described earlier?  Just the L*?

As I said, its an amazing amount of knowledge and I'm just barely getting into it now.  How long does it take you to post-process an image?

I do MUREDenoise on the separated R, G, and B channels. Muredenoise only works on monochrome images, but you can do L if its in monochrome format, but then you are not doing an noise reduction on the chrominnence data. It made no sense to me to split this out. There is only so much time I am will to spend. I am getting NO compensation for this so the intensive is just my own satisfaction. 

The time it takes depends on the data set, the number exposure, the number of filters, whether its a mosaic - lots of factors. However, I mostly know exactly what I want to do just due to lots of practice. I also use process Icons a lot to speed things up. Most of the time is in preprocessing the data and deconvolution. The other tasks are each not that long. Mosaics take a lot of time and effort. 

#145 Biggen

Biggen

Ranger 4

• Loc: PCB, FL

Posted 16 February 2020 - 10:31 AM

For local normalization when creating the master reference frame from the 8 - 12 clean subs, are you using the 8 - 12 subs from the Weighted folder OR the Registered folder?

You have this paragraph:

"When loading the files for the light frames into the either the ImageIntegration or
LocalNormalization processes, make sure that you choose the Registered Light frames
and not the graded or cosmetically corrected frames - DAMHIK - but I have wasted a
lot of time by making this error (see Figure 33)."

Figure 32 seems to show you are picking the 8 - 12 clean subs right out of the weighted directory after running subframe selector.  But the above quote on page 51 seems to contradict the figure.

#146 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 16 February 2020 - 02:31 PM

For local normalization when creating the master reference frame from the 8 - 12 clean subs, are you using the 8 - 12 subs from the Weighted folder OR the Registered folder?

You have this paragraph:

"When loading the files for the light frames into the either the ImageIntegration or
LocalNormalization processes, make sure that you choose the Registered Light frames
and not the graded or cosmetically corrected frames - DAMHIK - but I have wasted a
lot of time by making this error (see Figure 33)."

Figure 32 seems to show you are picking the 8 - 12 clean subs right out of the weighted directory after running subframe selector.  But the above quote on page 51 seems to contradict the figure.

You must use registered frames to create the LNorm master reference. I assume you have already created a master alignment reference image from you LUM or Ha data to allign all subframe to that reference. After you run the subframe selector on the new filters subframes, you have the list of subframes in weighted order. The use staralignment to register them subframes to the master reference. Then use the weighted order list to pick the top REGISTERED subframes to integrate with noise wieghting or SSWEIGHT weightings to form the LNorm reference image. BLINK those subframe first to be sure that they are clean.

#147 thekubiaks

thekubiaks

Vostok 1

Posted 28 February 2020 - 08:51 AM

I'm having some problems computing camera gain and Gaussian noise in the MUREDenoise section.   I did try computing the values with the MUREDenoiseDetectorSetting script but all I am getting is very heavy white noise on my mono MasterRed.  I cant seem to find any gain or noise number combos that work.  Any elaboration in the MUREDenoise section would be appreciated.

ASI1600MM Pro

Edited by thekubiaks, 28 February 2020 - 10:19 AM.

#148 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 28 February 2020 - 12:57 PM

The gain and read noise you can measure as I outlined. I have not been using the MUREDenoiseDetectorSetting script at all. Its is acutally easy. The ZWO web site list the gain and read noise values in 12 bit format. You divide the gain by 16 and multply the read noise by 16 from the charts and you are very close. I have tested this on three different ASI1600 cameras and they are all about the same. You can also see the data on the examples I post in the e-book. It is for the ASI1600MM-PRO so they should be very close to the value. You dont have to be that accurate. Probably the numbers for my camera should work for yours. I use the same numbers for all three of my ASI1600 camera for MUREDenoise.

• thekubiaks likes this

#149 thekubiaks

thekubiaks

Vostok 1

Posted 28 February 2020 - 03:10 PM

Thank you, that makes sense and it worked, your ebook has been extremely useful....much appreciated

Going back and forth between 12 bit and 16bit can be a pain

Edited by thekubiaks, 28 February 2020 - 03:23 PM.

#150 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 28 February 2020 - 04:41 PM

Thank you, that makes sense and it worked, your ebook has been extremely useful....much appreciated

Going back and forth between 12 bit and 16bit can be a pain

I just made a table for all the camera gains that I use and reuse the values. No need to do it more than once. Also the BasicCCDparameters is what I used.

• bsavoie likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics