•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Post your Pixinsight Processing Flow!

• Please log in to reply
206 replies to this topic

#151 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Austin, Texas

Posted 29 February 2020 - 03:55 PM

I have a very nice three-panel HaRGB mosaic of B33/Flame that I am working on. I am trying to come up with a method for taming Alnitak and reduce all the bright halos. If I get something that works, I will add a section on this. Wish me luck...

• elmiko, bsavoie and Peregrinatum like this

#152 Peregrinatum

Peregrinatum

Surveyor 1

• Loc: South Central Valley, Ca

Posted 02 March 2020 - 03:11 PM

Alnitak tamers:  GAME Script, Starnet++ Process, RangeSelection Process, PixelMath Process, CloneStamp Process, NoiseGenerator Process, Convolution Process, CurvesTransformation Process... good luck!

• elmiko likes this

#153 AnakChan

AnakChan

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Oz

Posted 03 March 2020 - 05:11 AM

I've been (attempting) to follow Chris Foster's PixInsight workflow primarily and would like to confirm two parts of the ImageIntegration parameters for darks and flats calibration masters :-

1) the tick for "Clip Low Range" seems to be left in place, whilst LightVortexAstronomy recommends unticking it

2) sticking to Windsorized Sigma Clipping irrespective to the number of subs

Would either/both matter much?

#154 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 03 March 2020 - 08:20 AM

I have tried windsorized sigma clip, linear fit clipping and the new student method and have seen very little difference with a significant number of subframes that I use for darks and flats (40-50). I find that the with default settings the new student ESD method rejects the fewest pixels, and linear fit rejects the most. From the output, I have not seen much difference.

For the "Clip low range", FWITIK, This is mainly an issue for very low signal count frame where you may are barely off the noise floor. In such a case, you may end up averaging a lot of zero pixels with this option. For my ASI1600 cameras, this is not an issue except for narrowband filters with shorter exposures. For Flats it should not matter. For darks, I really dont know if it matters, but It is something you can check by doing it both with and without the option and looking at the difference to see if there is anything systematic. 

• AnakChan likes this

#155 AnakChan

AnakChan

Apollo

• -----

Posted 03 March 2020 - 11:34 AM

Cheers for your response Chris. Per your suggestion, I’ll try the various options. It’s master darks of a new camera that I’m building at the moment and it’s good to know that it doesn’t matter to flats.

Reading up on the PI manual more, if I understand it correctly, it does seem that the clip low range is more applicable for the light frames :-

“Enable this option to reject all pixels with values less than or equal to the range low parameter. This is very useful to reject black (or very dark) image areas at the edges of the images, caused by partial coverage due to image registration, or empty areas in mosaic frames.”

I hope my inexperience noob skills are able to discern the difference of what is acceptable and what is not for the darks. I’ll check out the rejection maps with and without the option clicked. Clearly I don’t understand enough and am merely following guidance but I hope to learn along the way.

#156 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 12 March 2020 - 10:56 PM

Another side benefit of the zombie Apocalypse is that I am working on my next Pixinsight e-book update.

1) I am doing a front to back re-read and update with any minor changes that I have made in the last few months

2) I have found a few better methods for mosaic processing that work better for artifact suppression

3) a new section on mask generation for galaxy processing

4) a new section on how to tame Alnitak - how to remove star halos and I hope microlensing artifacts.

This is the plan anyway. I will post it when I get there.

• Ishtim, mrlovt, bsavoie and 9 others like this

#157 RichInLesta

RichInLesta

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Worcester, MA

Posted 31 March 2020 - 07:02 PM

Right now I have three canned PI workflows for different situations; one for LRGB, one for RGBHa, and one for LRGBHa.  As other possibilities arise I'll modify these to account for those other situations, but for now these are mostly what I use.

Rather than list all the details, as others have done, I'm just going to post screenshots of each Workspace of each process.  As you'll see, I use a lot of annotation, but where possible I save the actual process with "typical" settings.  Obviously, settings are unique from one set of images to another, but they serve as start points for me.

If anyone has any suggestions or recommendations for things I may want to try differently, please feel free to pass them along.

https://www.dropbox....-rxuLivSba?dl=0

• starhunter50 likes this

#158 starhunter50

starhunter50

Viking 1

• Loc: Tilbury,Ontario 42N , 82W

Posted 31 March 2020 - 07:18 PM

Right now I have three canned PI workflows for different situations; one for LRGB, one for RGBHa, and one for LRGBHa.  As other possibilities arise I'll modify these to account for those other situations, but for now these are mostly what I use.

Rather than list all the details, as others have done, I'm just going to post screenshots of each Workspace of each process.  As you'll see, I use a lot of annotation, but where possible I save the actual process with "typical" settings.  Obviously, settings are unique from one set of images to another, but they serve as start points for me.

If anyone has any suggestions or recommendations for things I may want to try differently, please feel free to pass them along.

https://www.dropbox....-rxuLivSba?dl=0

Can you create/share your 3 groups of .XPSM  icon ?     Your screen captures was helpful. 

AstroDude.

• lowry_pt likes this

#159 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Aurora

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 31 March 2020 - 07:22 PM

Right now I have three canned PI workflows for different situations; one for LRGB, one for RGBHa, and one for LRGBHa.  

What about OSC?

#160 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 25 May 2020 - 10:53 AM

I had to purge my google drive and I find that the link is not working to my workbook. Here is an updated link:

https://drive.google...ZyTgim5wxfCUOgU

I am still working on an new version and I just got a new section to add on selective removal of defects from subframes to add. So it will still be a while before I post the next one.

• RobertPettengill, smol69, deepanshu29 and 2 others like this

#161 starhunter50

starhunter50

Viking 1

Posted 25 May 2020 - 02:14 PM

Thank you so much Chris.. 

#162 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 30 May 2020 - 07:43 PM

Finally done with the my update. Here is:

My PixInsight Workflow: A Practical Guide to Processing with CMOS Cameras - Version 2.4 - 05302020

This is a major update. Here are the changes:

1) a top to bottom edit for clarifications and expansions of explanations for clarity

2) through update to the section on mosaics with my latest flow

3) workflow for OSC cameras

4) New section of Taming Alnitak - how to remove star halos

5) New section on mask for Galaxy processing

6) New section on selective rejection for fixing issues with flat fielding artifacts 

The book is now 297 pages with 384 illustrations and screen captures. I also include my basic process icon set.

Here is the link to my google drive for download.

https://drive.google...Unw?usp=sharing

This is free to download. Some have asked me for my paypal account to send a donation, but that is not necessary (but welcome!) chrisfoster78733@gmail.com

• mikefulb, Chris Talpas, DuaneS and 15 others like this

#163 thekubiaks

thekubiaks

Vostok 1

Posted 30 May 2020 - 08:21 PM

THANK YOU!

#164 AnakChan

AnakChan

Apollo

• -----

Posted 30 May 2020 - 08:44 PM

Donated! Thx Chris! I haven’t downloaded yet but I’m sure I’d love your awesome workflow!

#165 bruceosterberg

bruceosterberg

Lift Off

Posted 31 May 2020 - 07:15 AM

Hello Chris:

First of all many thanks for such a wonderful guide.  Granted I am only on the Dark Frames part and have not progressed.

I also have an ASI1600mm-pro cooled CMOS camera.  I just started taking  my dark flats, inside the house with a light pad.

I have the camera gain at 139 with the recommended offset, and I am shooting through LRGB and Ha,Oiii,Sii  all at 139 gain.

I have taken 40 frames of each filter and the ADU value is around 23000 for each filter.  I have now integrated every filter into a Master Flat Frame, so I have 7 of these.

Now I have also shot 60, Dark Frames at gain 139 at -15c  degrees with the scope completely covered.  And I integrated these into one Masterdark and saved it under my -15C folder.

I think this is right so far... But now the Calibration part is confusing to me, and I hate to ask, but what is the next step?

Thanks Chris and others for your help.

Bruce

#166 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 31 May 2020 - 09:31 AM

Hello Chris:

First of all many thanks for such a wonderful guide.  Granted I am only on the Dark Frames part and have not progressed.

I also have an ASI1600mm-pro cooled CMOS camera.  I just started taking  my dark flats, inside the house with a light pad.

I have the camera gain at 139 with the recommended offset, and I am shooting through LRGB and Ha,Oiii,Sii  all at 139 gain.

I have taken 40 frames of each filter and the ADU value is around 23000 for each filter.  I have now integrated every filter into a Master Flat Frame, so I have 7 of these.

Now I have also shot 60, Dark Frames at gain 139 at -15c  degrees with the scope completely covered.  And I integrated these into one Masterdark and saved it under my -15C folder.

I think this is right so far... But now the Calibration part is confusing to me, and I hate to ask, but what is the next step?

Thanks Chris and others for your help.

Bruce

Bruce,

All I can say is that you seem to be on the right track. I could give you some guidance here, but it would be much less detailed or as clear as I wrote in my book. There is a lot to digest and you many need to read it a couple of times as well as look at the screen captures, but I would likely give a less clear and more confusing answer in this reply. If you have captured your dark frames, flat frames and flatdard frames and integrated them into master frames, then you have all you calibration frames ready. Please look at the chapters in the book to get the settings right. The next step is to calibrate your light frames with my MasterDark and MasterFlat frames, but be sure you check that you formed them correctly and that you apply them correctly in ImageCalibration. Most importantly is that the MasterDark matches the light frames and that you dont scale your MasterDark. You also dont use any Bias frames or MasterBias or SuperBias if you are following my book. 

I tried to be as clear and comprehensive in the book as I could and have rewritten and clarified multiple times, so the book is about as well as I could explain anything. It is also as step by step as I could make it so you should be able to just follow it in a linear facision.  let me know how it goes.

Thanks

Chris

#167 Peregrinatum

Peregrinatum

Surveyor 1

• Loc: South Central Valley, Ca

Posted 31 May 2020 - 11:46 AM

Chris is the man!!!  I always refer peeps to his tute to get started with solid foundation and workflow in PI.

#168 artem2

artem2

Viking 1

• ****-

Posted 31 May 2020 - 12:12 PM

Thank Youlike-button.jpg  also, I usually use and  prefer to use APPwaytogo.gifwaytogo.gif , but would also like to try PI like-button.jpg

#169 Chris Talpas

Chris Talpas

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Milton, Ontario

Posted 31 May 2020 - 12:15 PM

Hi Chris,

Many thanks to you for putting together this fantastic resource!  Your investment in time and willingness to share with the larger community is greatly appreciated.

Chris

#170 starhunter50

starhunter50

Viking 1

Posted 31 May 2020 - 03:55 PM

Many thanks for such a comprehensive detailed info on PI  A-Z  for any one who wants to get past the basics.

Donation on the way!

Mitch/ Astrodude

#171 OakvilleGazer

OakvilleGazer

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 10 June 2020 - 03:13 PM

Been banging my head with PI, appreciate your documentation and donated.

- Phil

#172 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 10 June 2020 - 03:38 PM

- Phil

Thanks,

If you have specific questions or problems. I cant try to help if you send me IM on CN. Happy to try.

#173 starhunter50

starhunter50

Viking 1

Posted 10 June 2020 - 03:43 PM

- Phil

Phil.. check this youtube guy out..

https://www.youtube....JJqew6rQ&t=776s

chow from Windsor area On, 

#174 thekubiaks

thekubiaks

Vostok 1

Posted 10 June 2020 - 04:21 PM

- Phil

Check out the Adam Block videos, worth every penny.

#175 thecoldestnights

thecoldestnights

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 June 2020 - 10:20 AM

Wow fantastic work Chris!

I just wrote a tutorial on how I combine my narrowband data with advanced PixelMath expressions : https://thecoldestni...with-pixelmath/

Would love some feedback !

• smol69 and Peregrinatum like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics